SASS Wire Forum

1887 Lever Shotgun Question

German Jim

Does the drop/feed 2 modification to an '87 Lever Shotgun prevent you from loading the magazine to its capacity if you just want to go out into the woods and blow holes in the air?

It can be done but it is a slow and exacting task. We have done it and have a Lassiter prepped Chiappa.

Depends.

If it is done the way Coyote Cap did his you can still load the magazine.

IF it is a Lassiter modified gun you may be able to load the magazine but it isn't easy. I have 2 and I can stoke one with difficulty. They other one cannot be stoked.

I have no experience with the factory Chiappa load 2 mod

TEQUILA - They need to ad an ax & knife throw mulligan for anyone using cap and ball revolvers. Misfires not counted if you land the 10 yard throw. 

@The Hero of Canton if I can’t hit with the pistol I durnsure ain’tagonna be able to hit with a dang axe B).  And I hope you realize iffin you’re shootin’ BP there’s no such thing as a clean match, just no misses.  Warthog loads work well, if the spotters can’t see it’s a miss then it’s a hit :ph34r:

7 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

@The Hero of Canton if I can’t hit with the pistol I durnsure ain’tagonna be able to hit with a dang axe B).  And I hope you realize iffin you’re shootin’ BP there’s no such thing as a clean match, just no misses.  Warthog loads work well, if the spotters can’t see it’s a miss then it’s a hi:ph34r:

Not according to the spotters I've had thru the years. If they don't hear it, it's a miss.

EDIT: Perhaps I should explain. Most of us know the benefit of the doubt should go to the shooter. In practice, many will call a miss when they aren’t really sure of what they saw. As a TO when I’ve quizzed some, they can’t credibly explain their call. Many will say, “well, I didn’t hear anything, so it must have been a miss. 

The soft lead that BP users load, especially Frontiersman, exacerbates the problem, especially in small calibers. Even a .44 cal ball is only 160 grains and sometimes doesn’t register enough of a sound over the thump of BP ignition. Add smoke to the difficulties of BP spotting and you have a recipe for a bad call. 

No matter how often spotters are reminded of benefit of the doubt under those conditions, some will still call a miss when they can’t see the target. “Well, I didn’t hear anything, so...”

Archived