SASS Wire Forum

Independent's article...

And this coincides with the article...

Found on Founders Ranch FB page.

(I understand SASS is now not involved in the ranch...but the information may be of interest to some)

“The Independent” Article Clarification Concerning
Felon Membership

We have had numerous questions regarding the newspaper article stating that people with felonies would be allowed at the ranch (historically, this has never been the case).  Due to the previous ranch owners’ scope of operation, people with felonies could not participate at the ranch as there were only ranges involving and requiring firearms.  Under statutes of Federal law, individuals convicted of a felony are not allowed to own, be in possession of, nor handle or shoot firearms.  As was announced on Friday by the new management, archery and other non-firearm sports will soon be introduced and allowed on special ranges designed specifically for those sports.  With these new additions to our range, people with certain felony convictions may legally own, possess, rent or use equipment and participate in non-firearm sports like archery, hawks, knives, pellet/BB guns, etc.  There are other special ranges (to be announced shortly) that those individuals will be able to legally participate in, that do not include or require the use of firearms.

There will be questions asked during the membership application and screening process (similar to those listed on ATF form 4473 that is required to purchase a firearm) that will ensure the correct membership type is assigned to each individual or family membership.  Each individual and family membership application will be fairly evaluated and assigned the appropriate category based upon the information supplied by the applicant, on the application.  Should management become aware that an individual has falsified his or her information, that individual (or family) will immediately be ejected from the premises and barred from membership and/or participation in any and all events on the ranch.  Certain violations of the Gun Control Act, 18 U.S.C. 921 et. seq., are punishable by up to 10 years imprisonment and/or up to a $250,000.00 fine. Founders Ranch reserves the right to acquire, by any means and in accordance with our discretion, a background check of any and all applicants or members. Founders Ranch reserves the right to deny membership, participation or physical access to anyone (for any reason) we deem necessary or appropriate.  

However, there are some felony convictions that we simply cannot allow, to include, but not limited to; convicted rapists, crimes against children, domestic violence, violent crimes, crimes involving a deadly weapon, etc. Due to the nature of the Ranch being a family environment with children present, a person convicted of crimes against children would not be allowed a membership due to an inherent violation of their terms of release/parole.  Management at Founders Ranch wants everyone to come and enjoy all parts of the ranch that they are legally able to, and to enjoy their family and the environment as much as possible.  We understand that people make mistakes; but also, that they may have been rehabilitated and moved “past their past”. If that individual is now trying to be a better person, raise a family and be the best role model they can, we want to help support them in any good way we can, providing they have the legal right to participate. We hope that others of the ranch membership can take the high road and show love, compassion and forgiveness, one to another, in this crazy world, during this trying time.  We will not discriminate against anyone (for any reason) during the membership process but are bound by (and must follow) all state and federal laws, rules and regulations.  For this reason, adjustments to ranch rules had to be made once we announced that these other “non-firearm ranges” would be added to our venue.  If anyone has further questions about this, please feel free to contact Ranch Management; your concerns will be addressed and kept confidential.  

On another note (and as a reminder), NO person can be under the influence of any type of drugs or alcohol while participating at the ranch.  This includes all activities that involve firearms, as well as non-firearms sports such as archery, hawks, knives, etc.  If a range officer suspects that a person is under the influence, that individual will be required to leave the range and a safe ride will be acquired for them.  Please do not bring drugs or alcohol to the ranch as neither one of those mix with firearms, nor non-firearm related sports. We endeavor to provide world-class safety and an enjoyable experience for each and every person that visits here.

The ranch is a place where lasting memories are created and forged in the legacy that has come to be known far and wide at Founders Ranch.  We hope that everyone can appreciate that; come and join us in making this legacy continue for many generations.  

Founders Ranch Management

Ms Sue, I've read both posts twice now and can't seem to make heads or tails out of it.  But, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

SASS going out of business at Founders Ranch...I understand.  Too bad.  I never did see SASS there as sound business; poor location.  I suspect in ten (10) years SASS as a business will be defunct. 

Felon membership at Founders Ranch under new management....confusing.   Lots of bloviating. 

40 minutes ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Ms Sue, I've read both posts twice now and can't seem to make heads or tails out of it.  But, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

SASS going out of business at Founders Ranch...I understand.  Too bad.  I never did see SASS there as sound business; poor location.  I suspect in ten (10) years SASS as a business will be defunct. 

Felon membership at Founders Ranch under new management....confusing.   Lots of bloviating. 

That was the wrong sentence structure used by the writer for the Independent.

The new owners clarified...no members with Felony will be allowed to partucipate in FIREARM areas.

There will be other venues in a seperate section of the ranch that will be available, that are non-firearm events.

As I read and understand it.

And to clarify...SASS 'going out of business' at Founders is also missleading sentence structure.

SASS never was itertwined in the business of Founders Ranch... SASS LEASED Founders Ranch for events.

Again, as I understand it.

Who exactly is The Founder’s Ranch Mansgement?

Pretty sure it’s not Shanley. ;)

14 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Who exactly is The Founder’s Ranch Mansgement?

Pretty sure it’s not Shanley. ;)

No, no, no!!!

The new owners I believe are management.

It will take time to sort.

And why not Shanley? 

Marine manages me just fine! And that's a handfull!!:P

2 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

No, no, no!!!

And why not Shanley? 

"Fix bayonets!" ?

I've got real misgivings about the rec area for felons concept.  I've shot for years at the ranch with spare firearms (backups and a shotgun for 5-stand) unsecured in my vehicle.  Now I will have to drive my TT tow vehicle with a truck vault to feel secure.  I'm holding off buying a ranch membership until my security concerns get sorted out.

1 hour ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

No, no, no!!!

And why not Shanley? 

Here’s what I know about management.

It’s not fun.

Archived