SASS Wire Forum

lefties and SxS shotguns

Hey lefties, did you find it necessary to change how the opening lever operates on your shotgun or did you just leave it opening with a push to the right?

Im helping a new shooter and teaching a lefty is proving to be challenging. We may just stick with a 97.

Honestly, I never even tried a double. My pard who brought me in is a lefty and uses a 97. Being left handed myself, his schooling me on it was easier. 

I tend to think that being able to see the port without taking the gun off target while loading or during a hiccup to be an advantage to Southpaws.

Having said that, being left handed in a right handed world, ya learn to adapt. My manual of arms with a 1911 is just as good as a righties, the ambi safety just makes it easier. 

I just use it as is. When someone bends the lever for a right handed person...makes it much harder. I like the lever straight. And I am left handed 

1 minute ago, Bullet Hole Kid SASS#81025 said:

It will need some work.

About every one report that the CZ-USA Hammer Coach gun loosens right up after a couple hundred shots.  Just open and close it until the wife threatens to hit you with a frying pan.  

I use my SxSs as is!!  It’s just a little practice, (did I say the “p” word?) and you’re running with the best of ‘em!!

Even my 10ga Remington works well pushing with the left thumb.

Howdy JB.

Can't offer any SxS info....... BUT, if your lefty friend goes with a 97, Red Knee is a lefty and is

probably one of the best and fastest 97 shooters around.   I think he has also produced a 

video of his technique, which is awesome, to say the least.

I've seen Red Knee burn down 4 on 4 in about 2.5 seconds as a lefty.   He's part Cherokee and

part BORG.

Good luck.

..........Widder

14 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Howdy JB.

Can't offer any SxS info....... BUT, if your lefty friend goes with a 97, Red Knee is a lefty and is

probably one of the best and fastest 97 shooters around.   I think he has also produced a 

I've seen Red Knee burn down 4 on 4 in about 2.5 seconds as a lefty.   He's part Cherokee and

part BORG.

Good luck.

..........Widder

I'll have to look that up. I love my 97 but could use some help.

34 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Howdy JB.

part BORG.

Good luck.

..........Widder

I miss seeing Red Knee!

46 minutes ago, Needle-Nose-Tom said:

I'm a brand new lefty shooter with a CZ hammered classic. Been practicing the T Bone method and it's awesome. Long Hunters slicked it up so it opens LEFT up. 

Corrected for context.... :D

Using your left hand to push open the lever is much easier than using your right to pull it.

It seems that a lot of guns that are ostensibly right handed in their design are actually easier for lefties to use.    The 1911, thumb safety aside, comes readily to mind, as does the SAA when it comes to loading and unloading the things.   

And given the crazy way we use 97s in this game, basically treating them like fancy single shots, the lefty has an advantage there as well. It is so much easier to toss a shell into the open port with your right hand than it is to go "over the top" with the left.  [Assuming you keep your trigger hand gripping the gun.]

Left my Stoeger just as it came - works fine for me. Yes, I'm left-handed. Also added some polishing, springs & things, and nearly 20 years of shooting it.  ;)   Been using my 97 more last few years and like it even more.

Maybe we can get the folks in Italy to make us a right handed '97! :D

As a Southpaw, I much rather push the action lever with my left thumb than having to hook it with a right thumb as right handed shooters do. With practice ether was can be fast. I thought Cowboy type firearms were designed for lefties? All chamber openings and loading gates are right were we can see them.  

Archived