SASS Wire Forum

Easter Egg Hunting

Okiepan

So my question is to hunt easter eggs do you have to have a special license?

And how do you obtain one and from where ?

is it still legal to hunt easter eggs ?

And since it is really only a one day hunt can you hunt in every state or just the one  you claim residence in ?

Inquiring minds want to know 

Funny story...

Kids hid 4 dozen Easter eggs in Dads yard/garden.

His dog grabbed one and ate it...then two.

At the end of it all, we came up one egg short.

Looked again, and again...

Logic would have it, that the dog ate the missing egg.

Nope...

2 weeks later, dad went out to rototill his garden for planting.

He found that missing egg, after sitting in the hot sun for 2 weeks!

Ahhhhhh....the joys of the hunt!

5 hours ago, Okiepan said:

So my question is to hunt easter eggs do you have to have a special license?

And how do you obtain one and from where ?

is it still legal to hunt easter eggs ?

And since it is really only a one day hunt can you hunt in every state or just the one  you claim residence in ?

Inquiring minds want to know 

The questions above are all well and good.

But, how do you train the dogs to point or flush them? That, to me, would be the real trick.

When I was a kid the town I lived in had a huge Easter Egg Hunt in the park near the college. All children were invited. All the eggs were those plastic ones that you could put things inside. There were prize eggs that had gift certificates and if you were lucky and found one with a gold colored plastic coin you won $50 and a silver coin was $25. That was a lot of money in the late 60’s. 
The big thing I learned from these hunts was that the game was rigged. The first year I went I looked over the big water fountain with keen interest. I found a couple of eggs and moved on. One of the “rich kids” found a $50 in the base of that very fountain. I was suspicious as I know I looked right where it was found. The fountain was near where the grandstand was set up for parents to watch. I was in 3rd grade at the time. 
The next year me and my brothers and sisters went but this time I had a plan. I decided to concentrate my search near wherever the grandstand was and then watch and see if anyone plants eggs after I finish that area. 
That is what I did and sure enough after I conducted my search I saw a man “nonchalantly” go over to a tree stump in “my search area” and sit down. He got up a little while later then grabbed one of the “rich kids” and said something to him. 
The kid, not bring the sharpest knife in the drawer and without trying to play along in the ruse made a beeline for the stump and miracle of miracles, lo and behold, he found an egg that contained a plastic gold coin. 
I voiced my displeasure and what I witnessed to the ladies in charge of the hunt and was told to go home. So I did. I never attended another, but then I was a big kid the next year so...

When my daughter was little my wife and I participated in setting up egg hunts for her and the other children. I always made sure there were no shenanigans that would taint a kid’s attitude and leave a bad memory for life. Kids have plenty of time to become cynical and bitter later in life. They shouldn’t have to grow up that way. ;)

Used to take a dozen or more Easter eggs whenever I went  hunting, along with some salt, a couple of canteens of water, and a box of soda crackers (or tortilla chips after I discovered them) and spare cigarettes and matches.

Most of the time I didn't bother to decorate the eggs.

3 hours ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Wait just a cotton picking minute here!  Bunnies don't do eggs, Chickens do eggs! What are you trying to do? 

Nope. Bunnies do eggs now and they have 47 genders. 

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Can you hunt Easter eggs on Orthodox Easter which is May 2 this year?

Kind of boring since the priest hands them out when people come to venerate the Cross after the Paschal Liturgy. That's at about 2:30 in the morning.   :D

Our parish has a potluck cook out after Paschal Vespers Sunday afternoon and there are games for the kids as well as a standard American Easter egg hunt. 

46 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

... but the most important question yet to be answered is .........

WHAT CALIBRE is legal ?

:ph34r:

45-70, preferably with the 550 gr flat nose bullet

45-70 is always the right answer. 

When I was a kid, most years I would find at least 1 missing easter egg months later when I was mowing the yard.  Dad didn't believe in making maps.  And I clearly didn't believe in mowing the yard the same way every time, otherwise I'd have found the eggs a lot quicker. 

My sister and brother in law used to do a neighborhood easter egg hunt in their old house.  It was the house he had grown up in so he knew everyone.  It was a big deal.  They missed it after they moved, but in reality I don't think they missed how much work it had turned into. 

it was a drive thru event here so im suspecting it might be considered road hunting - happened in daylight so no shining involved , i dont know how many brought their dogs along for the ride - or how that might have worked out in closed quarters with any chocolate involved 

20 hours ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Wait just a cotton picking minute here!  Bunnies don't do eggs, Chickens do eggs! What are you trying to do? 

According to what my Dad told my eldest niece, it's all the work of the Easter Turtle (who happens to live under Daddy's house).:ph34r:

Because, after all, what do bunnies know about eggs?

Remember hearing the race between the Tortoise and the Hare?  That was all about Easter.  Winner gets the credit, loser does all the work.  Bunnies are fast- smart little 4 year old girls know that- so after the race, all the other animals said the turtle won to throw folks off the Easter Turtle's trail.

On 4/4/2021 at 11:39 AM, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Funny story...

Nope...

Must've been a defective egg. By that time I'd think it would have sprouted into a another bunny.

On 4/4/2021 at 10:39 AM, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Funny story...

Nope...

Prized Asian cuisine! If you leave it for another few months.

2 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

You knotheads, you don't shoot eggs, you pick them! 

A good egg huntin' dog helps find their lairs. 

No egg suckin' dogs though!

We whot them adter we hunted them when the girls were little.

We broke out the BB guns and and shot the eggs in the back corner of the garden near the swamp.  It was a great chance to teach the little ones some fundamentals with plenty of folks to supervise them.

Archived