SASS Wire Forum

March 2021 shatters record for firearm background checks.

Raylan

The rate of gun background checks in the United States—a rough correlator to how many guns are being sold here—shattered records in March, breaking four million checks for the second time in history and blowing past the earlier one-month record set in January.

The FBI performed nearly 4.7 million background checks for guns last month, almost 400,000 more than the earlier record set in January. 

January and March are the only time in the history of the FBI’s National Instant Criminal Background Check System that gun checks have broken four million. Prior to that, the highest number of checks was in December of last year at 3.9 million. 

https://justthenews.com/subscribe/register?utm_source=justthenews.com&utm_medium=website&utm_campaign=exit-popup

If you've considered thinning the herd, now is a great time to do so. Who knows if we'll have restrictive laws in the near future or not. At the moment, you don't need an FFL to do a local sale.

1 hour ago, Go West said:

If you've considered thinning the herd, now is a great time to do so. Who knows if we'll have restrictive laws in the near future or not. At the moment, you don't need an FFL to do a local sale.

In your state. 

6 hours ago, Go West said:

Also you don't need a concealed carry permit in Arizona, but if you have one you are not required to have a back ground check.  I have one and buying a gun is about a fifteen minute process to do the paperwork that is still required.

Forty five minutes to an hour if you count the time spent BSing with the people in the shop.

I haven’t been is a gun shop since March of last year so I didn’t contribute to the record unfortunately.

bought one, but they don’t NICS check LTC permit holders

and i thought last march (covid starting) was the biggest month of all time with 2.5 million NICS checks.

Yep, even though it's not required required anymore to carry concealed, their are some benefits to having a concealed carry permit in AZ. Yes, I did buy at least one gun from a dealer and it was only about a 10 minute transaction. If there is a crowd around waiting for their check to go through, you do get dirty looks when you come after them and leave before them. 

I wonder if there is an influx of new gun owners in that record number?

Could that be contributing to the ammo and components shortage?

In so far as contributing to economy, here in Canada, I bought two new pistols on line and received them in the mail.

10 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

I wonder if there is an influx of new gun owners in that record number?

Could that be contributing to the ammo and components shortage?

In so far as contributing to economy, here in Canada, I bought two new pistols on line and received them in the mail.

I can tell you from my limited experience in the past couple of months that probably half of the people I have witnessed buying new guns in my favorite LGS are new gun owners. I go there a lot to buy magazines and just out of boredom since I broke my arm and had surgery. Actually, my wife takes me. :wub:
I asked the guy that I was finalizing my pickup with at the gun store where I bought my S&W model 25 how many guns sold recently were to new shooters and he said “about half”. He then said “and that’s a lot of guns to new people.”

Archived