SASS Wire Forum

Weather Vanes

Subdeacon Joe

At those prices the weather vanes better be gold leafed.

I have installed many weather vanes.

I have built a few.

I have one in my shop I built back in the mid 1980s.

It is a gas balloon I build for my house back when I was flying hot air balloons and crewing gas balloons.

Looking the weather vanes above, they rotation devise seems a bit complicated.

All that I installed the rotation system consisted of a 3/8" brass tube on the vane side and a 1/4" steel rod sticking up that the vane slipped over.

To make it turn with the slightest wind, a single stainless ball bearing was put on the steel rod as you slipped the vane tube over the rod.

The flat silhouette vanes where cheap.

The 3D vanes where lots more.

Largest vane I did was a 7' wing span eagle on top of a 130' flagpole in Long Beach CA.

To me 2 weeks to gold leaf the "buzzard" in my den.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Weather+vanes&client=firefox-b-1-d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjN54DD4ePvAhUCpZ4KHc84AqsQ_AUoAnoECAEQBA&biw=1600&bih=766

Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of weather vanes.

Just not the over pricing I see.

=============================

I will take a photo of the balloon  vane in the morning and post it.

Some thoughts:

*I don’t think those prices are out of line if it includes the mounting hardware. Those look like fun.

*Cliff, that is just awesome! The skill and time (not to mention materials) to make that makes it worth far more than the others shown for sale. 

*Slim, did you make that one on your shop?  BTW, if that’s your shop and not your house, color me green with envy!

39 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

*Slim, did you make that one on your shop?  BTW, if that’s your shop and not your house, color me green with envy!

That is my workshop, and no I didn't make the vane. Dakota Livesay sells the McClintock weathervanes on his website. My wife got me one for Christmas a couple of years ago.

i do love old weather vanes , ive never been able to justify the value that was placed on those ive found so i just admire them where i find them and keep a photo if possible 

Archived