SASS Wire Forum

How to Tell Summer is Here

Today was right at 100.  I can tell that summer is here when the cold water tap in the shower is hotter than the water coming out of the hot water tap.  Today it was about even.  In a few more weeks you really have to be careful jumping into the shower or you can really scald yourself.  The water in the water heater is in an insulated tank so the temperature is controlled.  The water in the pipes absorbs heat from the attic even though the attic is insulated.  You have to let the "cold" water run for a few minutes so it cools down a bit.

How do you know summer is here?

2 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Today was right at 100.  I can tell that summer is here when the cold water tap in the shower is hotter than the water coming out of the hot water tap.  Today it was about even.  In a few more weeks you really have to be careful jumping into the shower or you can really scald yourself.  The water in the water heater is in an insulated tank so the temperature is controlled.  The water in the pipes absorbs heat from the attic even though the attic is insulated.  You have to let the "cold" water run for a few minutes so it cools down a bit.

How do you know summer is here?

We start seeing rattlesnakes!

My well pumps into a 5000 gal tank, there it sits in the summer sun. Gets pretty hot here, not like Phoenix but hot enough! Water come to the house pretty darn warm in a heat wave, and pretty cold in the winter too.

Summer brings fog over the coastal mountains as it warms up in the interior and sucks the fog in over them. Not here yet

As a boy, I knew it was summertime when I was sitting on the Ice Cream Bucket while Dad turned the crank.  One part of my anatomy sure stayed cool. ^_^

I bet that I'm not the only one here that ever sat on an Ice Cream Bucket...:rolleyes:

Old Wood Ice Cream Maker Hand Crank Maid of Honor Wood Bucket image 0

17 minutes ago, Hells Comin said:

U can tell Summer is here when people in Arizona complain about the HEAT !

S'truth.. This has ben a strange year.  Not summer just yet, but it's just around the corner.

A week ago we had a skiff if snow, today it hit 81 degrees.

Normally I switch to non-insulated gloves on my motorcycle when the weather is getting warmer, but not this year. My arm is still in a brace. Can’t ride my bike. Can’t drive my convertible. &@$#!
I did wear shorts yesterday and today. That’s a plus. :D

When you remember why you believe that some folks should NEVER wear shorts!

I limped and wheezed to a cowboy shoot yesterday.  First time this year I've worn long pants and probably the last.  I warned the crew to be prepared for the introduction of my kilt sometime in the next month or so.

The love bugs are starting to come out, right after that, it's summer.  Here in Florida, we have 9 months of summer, 2 months of descent weather and one month of spring/fall/winter.

21 minutes ago, Calamity Kris said:

The love bugs are starting to come out, right after that, it's summer.  Here in Florida, we have 9 months of summer, 2 months of descent weather and one month of spring/fall/winter.

I had to look up “love bugs”. 
I found this interesting article that you may find helpful. 
https://miami.cbslocal.com/2019/05/02/love-bugs-invade-florida-here-is-how-to-get-them-off-your-vehicle/

6 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I had to look up “love bugs”. 
I found this interesting article that you may find helpful. 
https://miami.cbslocal.com/2019/05/02/love-bugs-invade-florida-here-is-how-to-get-them-off-your-vehicle/

Yep, dryer sheets work real good at getting them off your vehicle. For those who don't know about these damn things, get them off your vehicle the same day that you run into them. If you don't, they'll be a major PITA to get off later and will take the paint off your car within a week.

I also suggest wearing a helmet with face shield if you're a motorcycle rider during love bug season. Running into a cloud of love bugs at speed has to be painful and real messy (I've seen the results) and yes, sometimes they are so dense that they are like a black cloud hanging over the highway.

Yes drier sheets work quite well.  I also wash my car twice a week during those times of year.  They really liked my white car as a place to congregate, they don't like my silver one quite as much.  Unfortunately, the house is white..........  We hope to change that soon.

When I see the robins, red winged blackbirds and turkey vultures flying around in NE Ohio, summer is soon to come.

18 hours ago, Texas Lizard said:

The lizards are out on the patio...And grandson getting to chase them...

They are also getting on...Not ever ready to explain that one in a couple of years...

Texas Lizard

A big roadrunner moved under my back porch and promptly ate all the nearby lizards.  Ants are invading our kitchen - a sure sign of warm weather.

Fireflies in the backyard at sundown.

Mole hills start appearing in the lawn.

Fledglings start showing up at the bird feeders.

Springfield Cardinals scores being reported on the 10 o’clock news.

My golf clubs start getting dirty again.

Archived