SASS Wire Forum

Cartridge Question

4 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Take 6 45 colt cases and cut them down to the same length as a 45 ACP. This will at least let you test if C45S will fit.  If they do then all you need to do is figure out how to get some C45S brass into OZ

Or just cut down 45 Colt cases.

8 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Take 6 45 colt cases and cut them down to the same length as a 45 ACP. This will at least let you test if C45S will fit.  If they do then all you need to do is figure out how to get some C45S brass into OZ

3 hours ago, DeaconKC said:

Or just cut down 45 Colt cases.

The problem with cutting down 45 colt cases is that the case wall gets thicker the closer to the base you get. Cut down 45 Colt cases have really thick case walls and can have issues seating cast bullets.

I'm one of the guys that uses 45 Schofield in my revolvers and 45 Colt in my '73 rifle.  I get a lot of feeding issues when I put Schofields in my rifle, though I use Schofields for quick single shot reloading from the top.  It avoids the feeding issue, and the shorter case is easier to load from the top.

Now that I've shot a few matches and started loading my 45 Colt with 200 g RNFP and 4.3 g Clean Shot powder, I really feel and see no difference between them and Schofields in my revolvers.  In hind sight I really don't see much advantage to C45S (Or even Schofields) unless you really want to go light.  But I've never shot the C45S, so I don't really know.

I have a S&W hand ejector originally chambered for 455 but the cylinder has been shaved.  So far the only way I've found to feed it is 45 ACP in half moon clips.  Full moon clips won't work.  45 schofield is too long by a skosh and the rim on 45 AR is too big.  I think I'll try trimming a 45 colt to C45S length and see how it works.  Those half moon clips are no fun to deal with.   Not too hard to load, but last time I tried to unload them I bent them up and next time I'll probably just throw them away. 

On 4/5/2021 at 6:13 AM, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

It is my understanding that most (if not all ) '73s don't like Schofield...too short?

Iffin' ya use a big bullet [ 200-250 ]:D they works just fine.

Archived