SASS Wire Forum

1858 vs 1875

Dark Horse Charlie

I was curious if there was any noticeable difference between the Remi 1858s and the Remi 1875s?

I frequently shoot a Howell cylinder in my 1858 and was thinking of getting the Uberti factory conversion, but than got to thinking about the 1875s and if they were any different feeling and shooting.  I have never seen one in a shop and no one i shoot with has one to try.

any thoughts?

The grips are a little different.  Different enough to make a difference?  That will depend on the shooter.  

If you love the feel of the 58 I’d recommend simply getting another 58 unless you have the opportunity to feel a 75 first.

Yes, the 1875 Remington has the "sail" underneath the barrel, that looks similar to the Remington percussion new model army (erroneously called the "model 1858"). It has no function, other than, I suppose, adding some weight to the revolver, or simply looking similar to the percussion model. 

Mine seems heaver than the Colt's, and Colt clones, I have, and I presume it does add a little weight to the revolver. On the 1875, it is held on by a screw, on one end, and fits into a slot, on the other end.

On the model 1890 Remington, it is there, but has been cut down a lot, and more conforms to the shape of the barrel. 

I replaced the "sail", on my 5 1/2 inch barrel 1875 Remington, with the piece that makes it look like an 1890 version, but without the ring on the bottom of the grips, like the 1890 models have. 

I presume one can replace that "sail", on the 7 1/2 inch barrel 1875 Remington's, as well. 

My Two Bits.

W.K.  

The 1875 Remington and the Remington New Model Army, (1858) are as different as night and day. The grip layout is entirely different, the 1875 having much larger grips and much more room behind the trigger guard. 

The “sail” under the barrel contains the cylinder pin and the ejector rod and makes the barrel and frame more sturdy.  It does add an insignificant amount of extra weight.  That “sail” is the same part on both the long and short barrel guns.

The 1875 is an all around bigger revolver than the ‘58 and slightly larger than the Colt and Colt replicas.

GREAT gun for big hands!!

I have a set of 58’s and 75 Outlaws and they are very different. The 58’s smashed my finger with the trigger guard and the 75’s did not. I have plenty of C&B revolvers to shoot so kept the 75’s and moved the 58’s along to a new shooter. You need to hold and shoot both before buying a set for sure. Good luck with which works better for you. DC

As has been said they are completely different pistols, the New Model Armys ('58s) being cap and ball guns (mine have been converted with Kirtst cylinders) and the '75s are cartridge guns. They do bear a slight resemblance if ya squint tho. The '75s and '90s are almost completely the same, the "sail" being the difference and maybe some small cosmetic differences. The '75 clones came with case hardened frames and 7.5 and 5.5 inch barrels where the '90s only came totally blued and with 5.5 inch barrels. The '90s have lanyard loops on the butts as well. I have all of the above (7'5" '75 in nickel too) all in .45 Colt and I think they're all great. I have taken a '75 sail and put it on my '90 to make an all blued 5.5" '75, with a lanyard loop. I also installed original looking hard rubber grips. They fit lousy (as mfg is not that great) but do look pretty "period". They are cool but are not as durable or run as fast as my Rugers.

75 Rems.jpg

4 minutes ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

As has been said they are completely different pistols, the New Model Armys ('58s) being cap and ball guns (mine have been converted with Kirtst cylinders) and the '75s are cartridge guns. They do bear a slight resemblance if ya squint tho. The '75s and '90s are almost completely the same, the "sail" being the difference and maybe some small cosmetic differences. The '75 clones came with case hardened frames and 7.5 and 5.5 inch barrels where the '90s only came totally blued and with 5.5 inch barrels. The '90s have lanyard loops on the butts as well. I have all of the above (7'5" '75 in nickel too) all in .45 Colt and I think they're all great. I have taken a '75 sail and put it on my '90 to make an all blued 5.5" '75, with a lanyard loop. They are cool but are not as durable or run as fast as my Rugers.

Did anyone ever make a reproduction 1890? 

Thanks for the info. Probably going to stick with my current 58 until I can find the Uberti converted NMA, right now Taylor's and Cimarron are out of stock. The 75 might be too bug for my hands, have to see if I can find one to try out before I even think about that as option.

Archived