SASS Wire Forum

Uberti Color Case Hardening

Is this real or is it a chemical effect that can be easily removed?

I have a 1875 Outlaw on the way and it is CCH.  I Have seen dozens of these guns and there was only one original that I have seen with color hardened frames.  Most seem to have been blued with CCH on the triggers and loading gates, and some with CCH hammers..

On another forum it was stated that it’s chemically created. 

The chemical color case hardening on my old Rugers eventually wore off in places. I would recommend that if you do have guns with this type of case hardened coloring that you use Renaissance Wax to protect it. The stuff is wonderful. 

A little goes a very long way. Walmart has it and so does Amazon 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Renaissance-Wax-Metal-Polish-For-Vintaj-Silver-Etc-65ml-2-1-4-Ounces/773154965?wmlspartner=wmtlabs&&adid=22222222223323378118&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=s&wl2=m&wl3=74354589942900&wl4=pla-4577954134843175&wl5=&wl6=&wl7=& wl10=Walmart&wl12=773154965_10000004906&wl14=renaissance wax&veh=sem&gclid=26b6fbc1988f1bd5bfd69ba933de587a&gclsrc=3p.ds

Renaissance Micro-Crystalline Wax Polish (65 ml) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B001DSZWEM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_T9Z69MRQVHDK6FZPXNX6

I believe Pat is correct. I have heard that metal improvement and metal hardness have improved to such a point that CCH is decorative only

and applied by chemicals.

That said, you can still make true CCH parts, but the expense is prohibitive. 

Just my view from the fence. 

These are Great Western IIs from EMF. I bought two of the last three they had a few years ago. This is real Turnbull Case Hardening. $300 option per gun. bacause I bought the last of them, they waived the $300 fee. These guns wont ever be sold.

20141101_224645.jpg

20141101_224744.jpg

I've been thinking of doing the same thing with my Uberti 1873 rifle. All the vintage 1873s I've ever seen had blued receivers, not CCH. I guess a good cold blue would do the trick, and as it browns or wears off simply make it look more "vintage".

Look at the video starting at 2:20.  Take what the commentator says with a grain of salt as a lot of things are wrong in the video.  Not sure if the salt method of coloring actually case hardens the frame.  Most of the time, like Ruger for example, the chemical process is coloring the metal but has nothing to do with hardening.

1 hour ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Look at the video starting at 2:20.  Take what the commentator says with a grain of salt as a lot of things are wrong in the video.  Not sure if the salt method of coloring actually case hardens the frame.  Most of the time, like Ruger for example, the chemical process is coloring the metal but has nothing to do with hardening.

They are chemical salts (not table salt), but lady with the nice voice didn't say what kinds of salt / salts are used.

None the less, an enjoyable flick.  Thanks.

Original Colt's and others of the same era, plus some of the repros use low carbon steel, which is relatively strong, and also ductile, so they won't crack under the design stresses.  But the surfaces need to be hardened so they won't wear quickly.  To do this, the surface of the metal is treated by adding carbon under heat and then quenching.  The coloring is a byproduct of the processes.  Ruger and other modern manufacturers do not use low carbon steel, but rather high alloy steels with chromium and molybdenum and sometimes nickel, which are then heat treated clear through to greater strength.  In some cases where surface hardening is desired, there are other processes involved (such as on rifle receiver surfaces where the bolt needs to slide).  Where the "case coloring" is desired in these high-alloy steels, chemicals are used to color, but it is not case hardening.

Happy Easter or Passover!

Stay well and safe, Pards!

:FlagAm: Just for a point of reference.  The summer of 1997,  the Buffalo Bill Center of the West Museum in Cody, WY/Buffalo Bill Historical Center had a special exhibit of Remington firearms.  I was using '75 Remington pistols at the time.  I spent a whole day just in that exhibit.  There were numerous examples of '75 pistols.  Quite a few featured cased frames.

Chas B

9 hours ago, Chas B. Wolfson, SASS #11104 said:

:FlagAm: Just for a point of reference.  The summer of 1997,  the Buffalo Bill Center of the West Museum in Cody, WY/Buffalo Bill Historical Center had a special exhibit of Remington firearms.  I was using '75 Remington pistols at the time.  I spent a whole day just in that exhibit.  There were numerous examples of '75 pistols.  Quite a few featured cased frames.

Chas B

Hey, Bubba, when you coming back for a visit?

Archived