SASS Wire Forum

Spur Rowel Size

Popcorn Kelly

I plan to shoot a little B Western this summer. A friend of mine thought there is a minimum rowel size requirement.  The January 2021 SASS Handbook says only that "Western spurs with rowels and spur straps are required for men," mentioning nothing about rowel size.  Am I missing another set of rules or is SASS silent on rowel size?

PK

As long as they exist, they are legal. What is not allowed are the Cavalry type spurs with just a spur on them.

spurs.png

Well, that picture is wrong. But I can't seem to delete it, nor can I delete the entire post and start over. So you'll just have to use your imagination.:o

Real spurs for riding are rarely bigger than 1 1/4 inch in diameter.  Remember spurs are not for hurting the horse they are for pushing and rolling up the side of the horse.  Kind of like running your finger up someone's ribs, they will move.  If a rider miss uses the spurs they deserve to get thrown.  Find something classy and you won't trip over.  Remember don't squat with yer spurs on and take them off before driving, they are hard on your car or truck...…

Lastly, jingle jangle has a factor of, "Cowboy Cool!"

Spurs 101 - saddleupcoloradoshopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcSi0Q3rhMO8UeBNsgbaDIzulPXvy7lCAavZBwRFEaVmcoTNPzJ6NZzAxMGhbrbyVEEB9hNhlibyTjxVf2EwFKlmfr8lz-M2sdFEfVgKiC2Co08sJgiYzHlqPuxGbrU&usqp=CAE

27 minutes ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

@Goody, SASS #26190 here is a cavalry spur, sans rowel

spr0139-2.jpg

Yeah, when I grabbed the little JPEG and copied it I noticed immediately when I put it on here that I had gotten the wrong one. But as I say, I couldn't delete it nor could I delete the entire post. Just had to eat crow and slink away.

3 hours ago, Hashknife Cowboy said:

Real spurs for riding are rarely bigger than 1 1/4 inch in diameter.  Remember spurs are not for hurting the horse they are for pushing and rolling up the side of the horse.  Kind of like running your finger up someone's ribs, they will move.  If a rider miss uses the spurs they deserve to get thrown. 

I used to ride this horse that would not take kindly to a rowel of any type. Even with the lightest touch, we had issues. We tried cavalry spurs and had no problem. However, I liked the other spurs better, so I ended up replacing the rowels with quarters. After that, we had no problems.

4 hours ago, Hashknife Cowboy said:

Real spurs for riding are rarely bigger than 1 1/4 inch in diameter.  Remember spurs are not for hurting the horse they are for pushing and rolling up the side of the horse.  Kind of like running your finger up someone's ribs, they will move.  If a rider miss uses the spurs they deserve to get thrown.  Find something classy and you won't trip over.  Remember don't squat with yer spurs on and take them off before driving, they are hard on your car or truck...…

Spurs 101 - saddleupcolorado

My mother used to fuss if I wore them at the table as they marked up the chairs. 

General consensus opinion of the WB/ROC was that "quarter-size" should be the minimum rowel size for "Western" spurs required for BW and as an option for "Classic". (2014)

That was never codified in the SHB.
"Western spurs
with rowels and spur straps" (for men) was added to both categories in 2019 to distinguish them from Cavalry-style spurs.

This is from the minutes of the 2013 TG Summit:

GENERAL DISCUSSION ITEMS

1) Minimum rowel size for B-Western. Comparison was made with Classic Cowboy spur rules and B-Western.

Calvary spurs without a rowel are the issue because the rowel is very small and to some, non-existent.

Some felt that a spur is a spur no size is required, some applause was made in support of that. It was pointed out that rowel size has no bearing on how spurs are used while riding horses.

The statement was made that B-Western was designed to be “Over the top” and large rowels help define “Over the top.”

A straw poll taken to see how many would be in favor of a rowel size for B-Western’s required spurs.

There was little support.

In the end, Hipshot stated that the 2014 handbook will show Classic Cowboy can use any spurs with straps, and B-Western must have Western Spurs with straps and rowels are required (no Cavalry spurs).

My thoughts on spur rowels were apparently at odds with some posters. That said, since my spurs are for cowboy shooting events, no horses were harmed in the usage of my spurs. For appearance (at cowboy shoots only), I like decent sized rowels, especially Mexican spurs. I have left the rowels that came with my spurs in place with a couple of exceptions. I didn't like the cheesy rowels on some spurs so I replaced them with good sized Mexican pesos. I refer to those as "safety spurs" as they have no points on them (some say: "there is no point to them".) 

I should point out that nobody has weighed in on the importance of the "jingle, jangle, jingle" aspect.

Rev. Chase

I rarely used Spurs with rowels larger than a dime. 

I did, in many occasions, loosen the straps to “the sidewalk notch”, so they would drag and make noise. 

I used to go to barn early before school, feed and maybe ride one. On more than one occasion I showed up at school with Spurs still on boots. Nowadays if probably be expelled for carrying a dangerous weapon on campus! 

And if you really want the "jingle, jangle, jingle" factor don't forget the jinglebobs! The spurs that live on my shooting boots have both decent sized rowels and jinglebobs. They sounded pretty cool when I strolled down the boardwalks in Tombstone! :D

On 4/2/2021 at 3:00 PM, Hashknife Cowboy said:

take them off before driving, they are hard on your car or truck...…

Lastly, jingle jangle has a factor of, "Cowboy Cool!"

Spurs 101 - saddleupcoloradoshopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcSi0Q3rhMO8UeBNsgbaDIzulPXvy7lCAavZBwRFEaVmcoTNPzJ6NZzAxMGhbrbyVEEB9hNhlibyTjxVf2EwFKlmfr8lz-M2sdFEfVgKiC2Co08sJgiYzHlqPuxGbrU&usqp=CAE

As a complete and total departure from the topic of this thread, at Tombstone in 2018 we had just gotten back to our motel from the match the weekend before Winter Range. I was driving. A group of shooters at a room just down the line commented that "It's pretty brave to drive with spurs on" to which I replied, "I did it the first time almost forty years ago. It's no big deal now!" :D  

I used to wear Lindholm Bros. spurs regularly when shooting.

image.png

If someone wants to debate "buckles in or out"...please start another thread.  :P

49 minutes ago, Equanimous Phil said:

Is spur, has strap, has rowel, so must be BW conform... :ph34r::(

Only if worn in pairs (the item pictured is a single)

Western spurs with rowels and spur straps are required for men.

SHB p.9 - B-Western regs

11 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

Only if worn in pairs (the item pictured is a single)

SHB p.9 - B-Western regs

But if you get one side of the horse going, the other side is naturally going to go too! 

10 minutes ago, Hoss said:

But if you get one side of the horse going, the other side is naturally going to go too! 

Or go in circles...must be a racing spur for round track! :P

Archived