SASS Wire Forum

Need Creative Construction Thoughts

Flat Water Bob

Scratching my head over a new stage design.  Our club has a "hangman's" stage that is about 6 ft. off the ground, with 2 sets of stairs and a weak railing.   The thing is very much in decline and the range wants removed.  HOWEVER, the range board is fine with us salvaging the platform which is very solid (approx. 10 ft. by 12 ft.) and left over lumber, and using it to build a cowboy stage at another spot on the range.  The range said the platform must be no more than one step off the ground AND MUST be something non-cowboy shooters can use.  No roof.  I would sure like to hear or see a couple good (albeit modest) construction ideas from the group.  Thanks.

The Thurmont Rangers made a Fort with rough cut boards as a waist high wall.  It was about 6 x 18, but was made in three sections that could be taken apart and moved, albeit with some difficulty.  The waist high wall doubled as the railing.  Back in 2018, for the Eastern Divisional, it was transformed into a Rail Car when the theme was Hell On Wheels the AMC television show about the building of the intercontinental railroad.

Edit:  I should add that while I did in fact sling paint and hammer nails (as did a few others), the vast majority of the effort was done via the hard work, talent, and amazing skill of MT Chambers to whom I am eternally grateful!

594051744_DurantsCar.jpg.c3f6754d18315df49bc5cdc7feb54117.jpg

You can keep it as multi purpose elevated shooting / hangman's platform. Just a lot lower to the ground.  Sit it on concrete piers / pads.  Then build a new sturdy railing.

Install a piece of 4"X4" steel tubing a little below floor level with a removable cover. This way the upright that holds the noose can be removed leaving a slightly elevated platform anyone can use.

Make a pad just down range or just beside and even with the down range edge that can hold a clay bird thrower that the shooter can activate.  

Now you have a stage that can be used several different ways.

A livery.  Using the platform add 2 ramps (no steps), one on either side.  Between the ramps add a split rail hitching post.  On the sides use 4 foot high walls.  On the shooting side of stage 10 foot high wall with cut outs on either end that have built in shelves.  Center continue with split rail theme with a free standing table.  If the range allows you can use black iron plumbing pipe bolted to both side of the side walls that go up and span the stage then on rainy days you could pull a temporary tarp over the stage and then remove when the match is over.  Side wall construction is simple 2x4 framing with corrugated metal facings (the top cap of the walls should be at least 2x6).  Hope this gives you something to think about.

As you cant have a roof that kind of limits what you can do. My suggestion would be a 6 ft long x 8 ft tall wall on the back edge of the 10x12 with a window. Another wall 10x8 ft divides the platform in half. The walls forms an ell [the inside of a livery] so you go through a wider ‘barn’ door into a corral area using split rail fencing thats also mounted on the platform with appropriate props ‘inside’ and ‘outside.’ Maybe have a half door in the short wall that can be opened on top to shoot through or both parts opened to allow the shooter to ‘leave’ the livery and move down range to engage targets. 

Maybe a riverboat deck, put a paddle wheel or smokestack beside it

Make it look like an old mine entrance, and another like an ammunition or explosives factory.

"Sackett Ammunition, No Smoking!"

Archived