SASS Wire Forum

Problem with a Lighting

Hi you all,  I have a problem with a lighting I need some help with, it's a 45 cal. American Western Arms carbine. The problem is that it will fire 2 or 3 rounds then not hit the primer hard enough to set it off, even after 3 or 4 times pulling the hammer back and pulling the trigger.  If I take the round and put it in my NMV  it fires just fine. So this is what I have done.

1. Changed to Federal primers

2. Cleaned and lubed firing pln.

3. Tighten the tention screw on the main spring to more than my M92 Rossi, about 18lbs

4. Dry fired a dummy round with a used hammered flat primer and it dents it just fine.

5. Thru it in the gun safe.

Any help will be very helpful, I like the gun and in B Western I was hoping to do better with my stage times, but 6 to 7 no fires in the gun it leaves me in last place.

Thanks

M.G. Shagnasty

Don't lube the firing pin, especially on a Lightning. It just collects all the blowback gunk and gums it up.

Seems I remember reading if you don't hold forward pressure on the fore end on these, it can cause ignition problems too...?

7 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Don't lube the firing pin, especially on a Lightning. It just collects all the blowback gunk and gums it up.

Seems I remember reading if you don't hold forward pressure on the fore end on these, it can cause ignition problems too...?

Thanks for the help!

I hope that the above solves the problem, and if it does, more power to you!

Is this a new rifle (to you, anyway) or have you been using it for a while and this problem just now popped up?   

Let’s hear some more information.

CatBrules 14086

7 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

I hope that the above solves the problem, and if it does, more power to you!

Is this a new rifle (to you, anyway) or have you been using it for a while and this problem just now popped up?   

Let’s hear some more information.

CatBrules 14086

HI Cat,  this is a new to me and the problem started with the very first stage. The upper suggestion is not the fix. Thanks 

YES!  Get hold of Roger Rapid, and request he forward his Guide to you.

His efforts in preparing his Lightning maintenance guide has helped many Cowboys.

CatBrules 14086

Lightnings like to be clean, hosing them out may let them run, but a tear down and clean is more reliable. This is very true of the ,45 caliber specimens.

Want a Lightning to run ,,, Get one in .38-40...:)

Want one to walk ,,, get it in .44-40 or .32-20

Want one that needs constant fiddling with get it in .45 colt ...

Jabez Cowboy

Archived