SASS Wire Forum

USS Johnston (DD-557)

Subdeacon Joe

http://caladanoceanic.com/media/newsroom/

2021 EXPEDITIONS

SUBMERSIBLE CREW COMPLETES THE WORLD’S DEEPEST SHIPWRECK DIVE IN HISTORY (USS JOHNSTON)

Offshore Samar Island, Philippines Sea (March 31, 2021) – An expedition privately funded and executed by two former US Navy Officers has successfully re-located, surveyed, and filmed the USS Johnston, the world’s deepest known shipwreck that principally lies at a depth of 21,180ft (6,456m). The funder of the expedition, Victor Vescovo, is a former US Navy Commander (Ret.) who personally piloted his submersible DSV Limiting Factor down to the wreck during two separate, eight-hour dives. These constituted the deepest wreck dives, manned or unmanned, in history.

The USS Johnston (DD-557) was a US Navy Fletcher-class destroyer that sank in battle on 25th October 1944. The Johnston measured 376 ft (115m) long with a beam of 39ft. The ship was sunk during an intense battle against vastly superior Japanese forces off the coast of Samar Island during the Battle of Leyte Gulf, widely cited as the largest naval battle in history. “In no engagement in its entire history has the United States Navy shown more gallantry, guts and gumption than in the two morning hours between 0730 and 0930 off Samar,” wrote Rear Admiral Samuel E. Morison in his History of U.S. Naval Operations in World War II. Upon the commissioning of the ship, the destroyer’s 3⁄4 Native American Captain from Oklahoma, Commander Ernest Evans, told his crew that he would “never run from a fight,” and that “anyone who did not want to go in harm’s way, had better get off now.” None of his crew did so.

I remember when RV Petrel found what they thought were pieces of the the Johnston at a slightly shallower depth. They couldn't find the rest of the ship as it had apparently slipped off the continental shelf into much deeper waters. Cool to know that somebody followed up on it.

46 minutes ago, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

Would  love to see  pictures of that:FlagAm:

There's about four or five pics on that website. The front 2/3s is intact and upright. Her hull number is clearly visible so there's no question she's the Johnston.

A most interesting find.

Robert W. Copeland, captain of the Samuel B. Roberts, was a Tacoma lawyer, who died at a relatively young age just as I was starting my practice in the city. I never met him, but knew many men who knew him well. A guided missle frigate was named after him.

On 4/2/2021 at 11:07 AM, Grizzly Adams 3674 said:

Last Stand Of The Tin Can Sailors:  Good read on the subject.

https://www.amazon.com/Last-Stand-Tin-Sailors-Extraordinary/dp/0553381482

Probably the best book on military history I've ever read. I need to read it again.

27 minutes ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Have you read “Neptune’s Inferno”?  Same author on the Guadalcanal campaign. Most excellent read. 

I have not. I believe you have recommended it previously, and I need to pick it up. With my backlog of reading material, I am not sure when I would get to it.

10 hours ago, DocWard said:

I have not. I believe you have recommended it previously, and I need to pick it up. With my backlog of reading material, I am not sure when I would get to it.

A great book, buy it and move it to near the top of the pile. 

2 hours ago, Chantry said:

A great book, buy it and move it to near the top of the pile. 

If anywhere near as good as Last Stand, it has to be. The hard part is then choosing what to move it in front of!

Archived