SASS Wire Forum

USN Directive

Subdeacon Joe

U.S. Navy
 As an immediate action to help support health protection efforts, the U.S. Navy has directed the proper cleaning of all personal coffee mugs or “Chief's Mugs,” at least once per week, during cleaning stations. 
NAVADMIN 04/01 — SUBJ/NAVY SERVICE WIDE CLEANING OF CHIEF'S MUGS. 
READ NOW: https://go.usa.gov/xH3MX

Note today’s date gentlemen. 

You know, I had never heard of this ancient Chief's custom of turning the insides of the coffee cup into a layer of sludge until I started coming here to the Saloon (dammit otto, ALWAYS Capitalize Saloon - don't mess with me boy, it's too damn early in the morning).

I realized, after reading all these comments over the years, how much my father must have loved my mother.

Daddy retired after 21 years as a Senior Chief. Mama washed the dishes after they were used. Which meant that his breakfast coffee cup got washed after breakfast. His supper coffee cup got washed after supper. And even though you wash them, coffee stains so much that eventually the interior of the cup will turn brownish. Many times over the years I would smell bleach, and look in the kitchen sink and there would be coffee cups sitting in there with a mixture of Clorox and water, bleaching the inside of the cups white again.

OH THE HUMANITY!!!

And I never heard him take her to task. Never heard him complain. Just continued drinking his coffee from a (the horrors) clean cup.

That is so true. Boy Scout camp. Visitors day. This car comes pulling in, stops and a man gets out. I know him. He's retired Navy. Got out a couple years after Daddy did. Yells to his kid, "Johnny, where's the head?", and his son points to the latrine (Boy Scouts don't have "heads", they have latrines).

But that caused a wonder. So I asked Daddy, "Why don't you say head and deck and galley and all those Navy terms?"

He told me he was retired. I told him I had never heard him use them, ever ever ever, even back when he was still in.

He told me when he was at sea he would pee in the head, and sleep in a rack and walk on the deck. But when he was home he slept in the bed and walked on the floor and used the bathroom, just like normal people. "It's my job, not my life."

He asked me one morning what time it was. Wasn't wearing his watch. I go out in the kitchen and look at the clock and tell him that it is 0875.

Huh???

Well if 8AM is 0800, and 9 AM is 0900, then logically 3/4 of the way between 0800 and 0900 would be 0875.

And that's when a nine year old boy got a lesson in military time telling.

6 hours ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

Coming back from a cruise, I’d have to start reprogramming my language about a week before we pulled in. 

Same here. The first time I went home on leave from the ship I apparently cussed a blue streak and didn’t realize it until someone said something. 

The funniest thing I did was put all the dishes away so if the apartment complex rolled no dishes would come out of the cabinets and get broken. Of course there was booze involved. 
My wife still laughs about that. 

8 hours ago, Alpo said:

He asked me one morning what time it was. Wasn't wearing his watch. I go out in the kitchen and look at the clock and tell him that it is 0875.

Huh???

Well if 8AM is 0800, and 9 AM is 0900, then logically 3/4 of the way between 0800 and 0900 would be 0875.

And that's when a nine year old boy got a lesson in military time telling.

How many bells is that?

Archived