SASS Wire Forum

Old 45 colt brass info

Dog1029

:FlagAm: Those are two examples of early production ammo.  I have three boxes myself.  There is NO EXTRACTOR GROOVE.  The rim is only marginally larger than the case body.  It has been said that without an extractor grooved small rim diameter, that is a primary reason pistol caliber rifles of the time were not chambered for this caliber.  Case design is also weak at the body to rim area compared to the modern brass used today.

Loading presses use the extractor groove to hold the brass in the shell plate.

Remember, 44WCF was developed by a rifle producing company and therefore was designed as such.  Colt first chambered the 1873 in 44WCF in I believe 1876 to increase sales of their pistols.  Cowboy could use one caliber in rifle as well as pistol.

Hope this helps.

Chas B

I would guess they are balloon-head cases. You can look inside and see. Balloon head cases are not as strong as modern solid head cases. 

A quick check in the case to see if the primer pocket sticks up or is the inside bottom of the case flat.

http://www.nrvoutdoors.com/BP REVOLVER/BP_files/cases.jpg

Without the rim groove the balloon case is best suited for the revolver.

With the big, deep cannelure in the case wall, it is just waiting to split the front half off when fired a few times. 

NOT worth messing with.  Save for a brass collector at a gun show.

good luck, GJ

Diameter of flash hole appears larger than current production.... might have been drilled out to 1/8" for blanks.

Archived