SASS Wire Forum

Looking good pair of boots for ncows

Jakeleg

Any recommendations on to where to go to get a quality boot for NCOWS and Sass,I will be going to sass someday hopefully but right now I am looking to shoot with a local ncows bunch? Is there a boot you prefer and affordable? Or is there a custom boot maker you recommend,I’d prefer a tall square toe distressed without the slick leather sole,I’m not worried about being perfect I will need my traction.thanks in advance Jake

Wild West Mercantile has NCOWS compliant boots as does a few other places. Many NCOWS people like River Junction.

https://www.riverjunction.com/Shoes-Boots_c_16.html

https://www.wwmerc.com/cgi-bin/Category.cgi?category=7100&type=store

Have you read the guide that NCOWS has on their website?

Yes I was at worknranch last night and bought everything but boots just wondering if there was any custom or anywhere else I spent enough last night lol but saving for boots now.thanks

Thanks I should of just bought them last night but I just thought maybe there was preferred bread or maker,thanks everyone,I can wear what I got for now just looking for some for future

For period correct you can't beat one of the better civil war sutlers. Beware that there are cheap boots made in India or Pakistan. They are glued together and do not last.

I like Fall Creek Sutlery. Their boots are made in the US.

https://www.fcsutler.com/fcshoes.asp

One thing is that they have leather bottoms. I haven't found them to be slick but you may. They are way more comfortable than cowboy boots.

Hogleg

Note: I HATE auto correct

Boulet are nice boots but I think he is looking for square toe boots.  But Jakeleg, don't go too far back in your impression or you will need boots that are the same shape with no left or right.  Ouch!  :)

Used to buy Toni Lama mule ears Shooters Boots but I had my good pair resoled and they don’t fit my feet anymore.

I have two pair of Texas Jacks boots.  They come with a tall heel, which was not good for a walking cowboy.  Several sources said to have the heels shortened by 1/4" so I did.  Doesn't seem like much, but huge difference.  I just had my main pair (the other is for banquets) resoled for second time, I think, and had them put rubber soles (not the Beatles) this time.  The leather was really slick, especially on certain floors.  You can buy little rough egg-shaped patches that stick to your soles for traction and they work great but they peel apart and fall off before long.

Mattimore Harness made me a pair, custom fitted, they are guaranteed to fit and mine feel like wearing socks. I waited about 16 weeks.

Instructions on the website about how to measure your feet. Everything about them is custom built including height. Kinda pricey for off the shelf boots, but for hand made, custom fitted boots, not bad.

image.png.826352bc67ad57695fabd63a67fa011e.png 

Archived