SASS Wire Forum

Campfires

Subdeacon Joe

All the threads and comments about campfires got me thinking.  What "style" do you prefer?  I'm partial to a log cabin type, maybe slightly modified with some elements of the platform or lean to.
Tourist Campfire Types Collection Flame On Stock Vector (Royalty Free)  601101869

As a cheat I use candle stubs in with the tinder (sometimes I'll use a tea light, then put the tinder over it), and a few on top of the kindling. As they melt and soak into the wood they help get things going.  Always have good results. I've never had much luck with the teepee type.

Row 3 second from left. 

I like tinder, fire fur sticks & kindling. Damp wood? Pringles make great fire starters. After you see one burn you’ll never eat another. 

Bout 20 years ago I rolled into a campsite later than I thought I would and dropped 4 good logs and a road flare in the fire ring. That got it going good.

If I'm starting from scratch I tend to teepee and move towards the last one on bottom right. If I'm using long wood I do the star pattern and burn toward the center

I find a teepee works best for getting it going.  Good airflow through the central part.  Heat is retained in the combustion section. A good fire without much smoke.  Unfortunately, it falls apart as the wood burns and then starts smoking too much.

Since I’m a mechanical engineer with combustion experience who likes to camp, sit around a fire, not inhale smoke, and sip libations, my buddies and I have come up with creative ways to maintain the teepee frame all night long.  

This weekend we’re heading to the woods.  Rev 8 of the “Firestand” is coming with us for testing.  If successful, we might head into production for our fellow campfire aficionados. 

5 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Row 3 second from left. 

I like tinder, fire fur sticks & kindling. Damp wood? Pringles make great fire starters. After you see one burn you’ll never eat another. 

They’re basically pure starch and fat, no surprise they burn well. 

As for me, I do a variation on the log cabin to get things going. For starter, I like cotton swabs heavily dipped in petroleum jelly. Put them in a half of a cardboard egg container in a ziplock bag and cut off a section and light it.

7 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Never tried Pringles. I have used Fritos though. Make great fire starters. All that oil makes them burn like a windproof match and last a long time.  

3 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Never tried Pringles. I have used Fritos though. Make great fire starters. All that oil makes them burn like a windproof match and last a long time.  

My daughter in law works for Frito Lay. One of their delivery drivers was loading a truck and flicked a cigarette ash. It smoldered just long enough for him to reach the interstate. Then the whole truck went up in spectacular fashion. 

OSHA supposedly debated reclassifying Fritos flammability status after that one. 

9 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Pringles make great fire starters.

I've heard that about Fritos, but I've never been able to get one to start.

I use a star shaped pile of wood for a campfire. When using charcoal for a grill, I use a large can with some air holes at the bottom. Once it's going,  you can dump them out and spread to suit.

23 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I've heard that about Fritos, but I've never been able to get one to start.

The thing about Pringles is they emit black noxious smoke. I figure anything that burns and smokes that bad cannot be good for you to eat. 

5 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

The thing about Pringles is they emit black noxious smoke. I figure anything that burns and smokes that bad cannot be good for you to eat. 

Um...steaks, chops, both pork and lamb, will burn and emit black noxious smoke.  Are you trying to tell us that steaks, pork chops, and lamb chops aren't good for us?  :P

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

.  Are you trying to tell us that steaks, pork chops, and lamb chops aren't good for us?  :P

Of course they are not good for you, that’s why they taste so good! :D

CJ

20 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Row 3 second from left. 

Fritos corn chips work good, too.

Howdy,

Put a little veg oil on charcoal or wood scraps.

It really speeds up the process.

Be careful if you add more to the fire once it starts.

Have a hose handy too.

Best

CR

Steel wool is an excellent fire starter too.

Archived