SASS Wire Forum

Were any of you so poor as a kid, that your dessert was...

I have not heard of this. 
Dessert at my house was usually once a week. It was usually Jell-O except in summer when my Dad was doing well in his business. Then it was cake or ice cream. 

We were so poor that our parents couldn't afford kids so the neighbors had us.

After I left home it took me fifteen years before I could eat Jell-O again.  I still don't like it, but if it's put on the table I'll eat it.

We were so poor that, for dessert, Mom just showed me a picture of a pie from a magazine, that someone gave her.

My sack lunch, that I took to school, was a bag of hickory nuts, and a hammer.

We were so poor, that I had no clothes, until I was five or six, so I couldn't play outside until dark. Then, one time, my uncle gave me a cap, and I was at least able look out the window, during the day.

15 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

After I left home it took me fifteen years before I could eat Jell-O again.  I still don't like it, but if it's put on the table I'll eat it.

40, these are my real parents.  Dad's holding me (1947) at our place in Shawnee, Oklahoma.   We had electricity and an outhouse.

I haven't eaten Jell-O in Lord only knows when.  Been decades.

Mvakp4.jpg

We were so poor that I got a pair of jeans for Christmas with a hole cut in the pocket.

That way, I had something new to wear and something to play with.

Actually, our desserts were about once or twice a week.   And it was either fried apple pies,  homemade

ice cream or rice pudding.  Not all of them, just one or the other.

..........Widder

My maternal grandfather's first house in the New World. By the time I came along 48 years later, things were a lot better. Frame house, shingle roof, running water, indoor plumbing, electricity, fresh beef/chicken/pork every day, fresh eggs, fresh milk/cream/butter, fresh bread, fresh vegetables, wild huckleberry/strawberry/raspberry/chokecherry jams & pies. Realistically, my folks had to save up to buy a new pair of shoes, but for daily sustenance, we had everything we needed. :)

Never heard of vinegar cobbler.

Homestead.jpg.3964352e1218228b7dfa4231e447e620.jpg

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Even if it's green with shredded carrots in it?

We were so poor that my Dad would give us kids a quarter if we didn't eat supper, then he stole it during the night and gave us kids a heck the next day for losing it.

I have had vinegar pie, and like it.  Never even thought about vinegar cobbler,  but it makes sense. 

Grew up not wealthy,  not weeping.   For desserts it was usually Mom's White Cake made from scratch.   Margarine,  not butter.  Vanilla buttercream frosting (powdered sugar,  margarine,  imitation vanilla, canned milk).  A 9 x 13 cake  likely cost a buck and a quarter to make in the mid 60s.

Maybe once a month we would have ice cream,  Safeway house brand vanilla or neopolitan.  Cookies now and then.   Double batch of Tollhouse with lots of corn flakes and half a bag of chips.  Or thumbprint Cookies using homemade jam or jelly.

Jello with Fruit coctail in it.

Vanilla pudding with bannana & vanilla waffers. 

Largo

2 minutes ago, largo casey #19191 said:

Jello with Fruit cocktail 

We just about always had boxes of Jell-O on hand- a lot of times when we were sick we got it hot to drink. 

Also always on hand were canned peaches and fruit cocktail. Del Monte brand. 

We got dessert once a week.... If we were Lucky and it was usually Jello

I remember getting Jello once at a friends house and it had chunks of pineapple in it....

I'd never seen anything so weird in my Life.... But it Sure did taste Good !!

We were so poor a ketchup sandwich for dinner was a Real Treat.....

And Ya Know What.... We were Happy !!!

Thats more than I can say for some Folks these Days.   ;)

I remember when I was a boy I had to walk to school, barefoot, in the snow, uphill , both ways....

hmmm....maybe you’ve heard that one before. 

okay...

For dessert Mom placed a few grains of sugar on our thumbs and we sucked our thumbs all day!  And, we where happy to....oh.... you’ve heard that one too. :blush:

never mind....

One of the main reasons some of us had 'HOMEMADE' ice cream is because we didn't

have a freezer to store and keep anything frozen.

I was born in 51.    And I can still remember the ice man bringing us our ice cube about twice a week for

our 'ice box'.   We could only keep things cool, but never frozen.

I don't think we actually got a 'Frigidair'  refrigerator till about 1956 or 57, when I was about 5 or 6 yrs old.

In all honesty, we didn't know we were poor.   We actually thought we were middle class with our

'party line' phone and wringer washing machine.

..........Widder

I remember, back in geologic time, that on a box of Ritz crackers, there was a recipe for mock apple pie, using Ritz crackers, instead of apples.

I have not purchased a box of Ritz crackers, since Moby Dick was a minnow, so I do not know if that recipe is still on the box, or not.

I know if Mom could have afforded a box of Ritz, she could have afforded a few apples, to make a real apple pie...so she never made that Ritz mock apple pie. 

But the pictures of apple pie, she showed me, were really good. 

4 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

didn't know we were poor.   We actually thought we were middle class

I think that my wife and I are middle class, or middle income.  A couple of months ago I looked up what the "official" poverty level is in Sonoma County.   Turns out to be about 10 grand more than we make.  If this is poverty we are truly blessed. 

:ph34r:  

Vividly recall 'desert' while listening to Gabriel Heater and the news as the Korean war was beginning.  Our treat was a pat of margarine (I had the job of mixing the color capsule by hand into the plastic bag of white fat) placed in the center of our cleaned dinner plate.  A pool of honey was poured over it and a fork used to blend into a smooth 'honey-butter', which we sopped up with pieces of bread. 

It was good.

I had a rough childhood.

We were so poor, Mom would read recipes to us at supper time because we had no food.  My little brother almost starved to death before they found out he was hard of hearing.

Seriously,  mom was an awesome cook, and we had a made from scratch cake or cobbler every weekend, and usually cookies or jello sometime during the week. Her chocolate chip blonde brownies were to die for.  Her oddest dishes were buttermilk pie and pistachio cake.  I learned to love buttermilk pie and still don't care for anything pistachio. 

10 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I have had vinegar pie, and like it.  Never even thought about vinegar cobbler,  but it makes sense. 

Grew up not wealthy,  not weeping.   For desserts it was usually Mom's White Cake made from scratch.   Margarine,  not butter.  Vanilla buttercream frosting (powdered sugar,  margarine,  imitation vanilla, canned milk).  A 9 x 13 cake  likely cost a buck and a quarter to make in the mid 60s.

Maybe once a month we would have ice cream,  Safeway house brand vanilla or neopolitan.  Cookies now and then.   Double batch of Tollhouse with lots of corn flakes and half a bag of chips.  Or thumbprint Cookies using homemade jam or jelly.

I haven't seen Neopolitan ice cram in ages.  Used to be some in everybody's fridge.

7 hours ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

I had a rough childhood.

We were so poor, Mom would read recipes to us at supper time because we had no food.  My little brother almost starved to death before they found out he was hard of hearing.

Seriously,  mom was an awesome cook, and we had a made from scratch cake or cobbler every weekend, and usually cookies or jello sometime during the week. Her chocolate chip blonde brownies were to die for.  Her oddest dishes were buttermilk pie and pistachio cake.  I learned to love buttermilk pie and still don't care for anything pistachio. 

My daughter in laws have mastered momma's Buttermilk Pie! It is a family favorite.

10 hours ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

We were so poor that when mom took us to KFC she had us lick other people’s fingers.

18 hours ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

We were so poor that, for dessert, Mom just showed me a picture of a pie from a magazine, that someone gave her.

We were so poor we'd eat cereal with a fork to save milk.

We didn't have much but were blessed with good parents that always were there for us.  But as an adult I do not eat any internal herbivore organs.   My dad would jokingly say that if it did not come from a hooved animal it must be a vegetable.

7 minutes ago, Hashknife Cowboy said:

We didn't have much but were blessed with good parents that always were there for us.  But as an adult I do not eat any internal herbivore pieces and parts.   My dad would jokingly say that if it did not come from a hooved animal it must be a vegetable.

It was years before I learned what 'Sweet Meat' was!!!

1 hour ago, Hashknife Cowboy said:

But as an adult I do not eat any internal herbivore pieces and parts

You lost me. You have external pieces, which are on the outside of the skin. That would be hooves, hair, eyelashes, horns. Then you have internal pieces, which are on the inside of the skin. The last time I looked, all of the meat was inside the skin. So all of the meat of a herbivore would be internal pieces.

Archived