SASS Wire Forum

I've never met a pie I did not want more of.

when I was a toddler, I used to tell people, I don't like pie...

for me it would be a toss up between a good rhubarb and a pecan pie with some apple pies coming in a close third.  Seeing how I could still get Rhubarb or Apple as a cobbler and I like those just as well, I'll go with Pecan... 

9 minutes ago, El CupAJoe said:

when I was a toddler, I used to tell people, I don't like pie...

for me it would be a toss up between a good rhubarb and a pecan pie with some apple pies coming in a close third.  Seeing how I could still get Rhubarb or Apple as a cobbler and I like those just as well, I'll go with Pecan... 

Way to commit. :P:lol:

2 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Way to commit. :P:lol:

"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan, Dirty Harry

13 minutes ago, El CupAJoe said:

a good rhubarb

Just rhubarb, or strawberry rhubarb?

I have heard of strawberry pie. And I have eaten strawberry rhubarb pie (did not do much for me). But just rhubarb?

In one of the Little House books - the one where Laura and Almanzo get married. She goes out and harvests a couple of pie plants, and makes pies for the guests. But she forgot to put sugar in them. Says they were so sour they were pretty much inedible.

I think the pie plant may be rhubarb.

Just now, Alpo said:

I have heard of strawberry pie. And I have eaten strawberry rhubarb pie (did not do much for me). But just rhubarb?

And one of the Little House books - the one where Laura and Almanzo get married. She goes out and harvest a couple of pie plants, and makes pies for the guests. But she forgot to put sugar in it. Says they were so sour they were pretty much inedible.

Strawberries can definitely be added!  Rhubarb with anything sweet pretty much works for me.

Howdy,

When I was in hospital one flavor stood out. Lemon.

I couldnt get enuf lemon pudding.

So based on that....lemon merange pie.

But there are many that I could go with as well....

Mince pie is one I love but nobody knows what that is anymore.

Best

CR

We always called it pie plant.  I like raw rhubarb.   My wife think it is Yucky.  What does she know anyway.

I had 16 wonderful plants when I moved.  had to leave them. Sad day.

STL Suomi

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

For me, just rhubarb, but it's darned hard to find.

You are correct, rhubarb was pretty much used only for pies.  Pretty much still it.

For me, if limited to only one kind of pie, make it Shoo Fly Pie.

My Grandparents moved to Florida when I was 6. Grandpa built a small grove of varied citrus trees on his property. He had three lime trees, why so many I don’t know. He would give us 4-5 bushels of limes every summer when we visited. The limes road home in the bottom of a wooden boat on a trailer. We had Lime Meringue Pie until late fall. Not Key Lime, Lime Meringue pie. It was great and I miss it. It was better than Lemon Meringue IMO.

CJ 

Since I could still get apple, cherry, or blackberry cobbler, I reckon for me it would be extremely deep dish blueberry pie.

In further contemplation, I’d take blueberry cobbler as well and reserve the pie selection to extreme deep dish pecan!

Guaranteed ticket to Dessert Heaven~!  ^_^  :lol:

COOKIE CRUST LEMON PIE

Dbl batch sugar cookie dough, refrigerated (make your own or buy Pillsbury – much easier! And for a deep dish pie increase ingredients by 1/2)

1 1/3 cups sugar

1/3 cup cornstarch

2 eggs

½ cup lemon juice

1 ½ cups boiling water

2 tablespoons butter or margarine (butter preferred)

Yellow food coloring (optional)

Additional sprinkling sugar (colored sprinkles work well)

Preheat oven to 350'.  Between floured (or powdered sugar) waxed paper, press half the dough into a 6-inch circle.  Roll until you can safely place in a 9" greased (buttered) pie pan.

In heavy saucepan or double boiler, combine sugar, cornstarch and eggs; mix well.  Over medium heat, gradually stir in lemon juice then water, stirring constantly.  Cook and stir until thickened, and continue to cook one additional minute.  Just use your best judgement.

Remove from heat.

Add butter or margarine; stir until melted.  Add coloring if desired.

Pour into crust.

Roll remaining crust, cut into rounds with a cookie cutter and layer over top. Just have them barely touch each other, as they will expand as they bake.  Sprinkle with sugar.

Bake 15 minutes or until golden.  Chill; keep refrigerated.

LARGE (Deep Dish) PIE

Dbl+ batch sugar cookie dough

2 cups sugar

½ cup cornstarch

3 eggs

¾ cup lemon juice

2 ¼ cup boiling water

3 tablespoons butter

1 hour ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Cherry Pie.  Not too sweet and not too tart.  Ever since I can remember, Cherry Pie has been my favorite. Especially warm and topped with vanilla ice cream. :wub:

https://media.istockphoto.com/photos/cherry-pie-with-ice-cream-picture-id166520633?k=6&m=166520633&s=170667a&w=0&h=B67i2jxIMG5V5U9LWTw07azR-_uKWePlEvZSKPA-0wQ=

That’s got my vote!!! :)

3 hours ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

That's very cruel request, but I'll oblige.  A slice of mincemeat and pecan and shoofly and key lime and dutch apple and blueberry and cherry and lemon meringue each.  Now that's eight slices for a total quantity of one whole pie. :)

GAMER!

I have my Dad's recipe for chess pie.  Lots of sugar and pecans.

Rhubarb was a second choice and we didn't get it often because when Mom got to cooking the rhubarb we'd get a dish full before she could put any in a pie shell and just eat it hot.

I'm not sure I ever met a pie I did not like. I guess I would have to go with Hot Pecan Pie and a scoop of vanilla ice cream that starts to melt from the heat.

'Nanner cream pie, with a huge dollop of real heavy whipping cream on top (did you say cool-whip??? git a rope!!!)....with a side scoop of Blue Bell vanilla bean (with the vanilla specks in it) ice cream, on the side.

Wash it down with an R.C.

I know, I know....a type 2 diabetes hell. Oh well...maybe in the next life.

I only like two kinds of pie.  Hot and cold.  

Well, warm is ok too.  

I'm partial to butternut squash pie, and SWMBO loves my sweet potato pie best of all, so I make lots of sweet potato pie.

Archived