SASS Wire Forum

Stoeger SxS Spring Questions (2)

Taos

I just got a Stoeger 12 ga Coachgun for a back-up gun.  Never owned or used a Stoeger before, I use mostly a Baikal.

Yesterday I slicked up the gun and swapped the triggers from left to right (two trigger gun), and a bunch of other stuff.

All is good except I think the trigger pull is too hard.  It's a crisp pull, just harder than my Baikals.

Question 1 to Stoeger people who know is:  Can the sear springs we tweaked to make the trigger pull easier?

The lever spring seems to be pretty strong too.

Question 2 to Stoeger people who know is:  Can I cut a coil or two off the lever spring?

Thanks,

Taos

You can buy a replacement spring, some use Ruger Vaquero Hammer Springs, but I just cut a coil or two off the Lever Spring and away I go.  If you cut, try a little, then a little more, procedure.

Thanks Cider Creek, that helps some.  According to the vid I can get lighter seer springs, which tells me I can also just bend a little tension out of the stock springs (like is done with Ruger Vaquero trigger springs).

What isn't mentioned, and I can not find the info anywhere is the actual lever spring.  Once the seers are removed the barrel lock can be removed and polished.  With the barrel lock removed the lever can be lifted out......carefully!.....the spring in there is going to go boing!  

There is another spring that returns the lever to it's right position, it acts on the bottom of the lever barrel, there is a spring and a plunger.

This spring and plunger is the spring I am talking about lightening.  It seems to me it is stronger than it needs to be.

If you open the barrels on a coachgun and push the lever to the left, as in opening the barrels, you can feel this spring, it is what is returning the lever to the right.

Thanks

Taos

Everyone refers to the Lever Spring incorrectly.  Even the parts people call it a lever spring.  But actually the lever spring is at the bottom of the lever and can not be seen unless the lever is removed.

The actual name of the spring everyone mentions is the "Lock Impeller Spring".

I hope that doesn't start an argument :-}

Hiya Taos! I'm getting with Jerry from the club next week to work on my Stoeger. I will have it at the next match and you can see how it feels with what he is doing to it.

OK.  But I don't think I'm going to make the shoot.

Next I'm going to modify the buttstock and fore stock.

The buttstock is too "fat" at the pistol grip and cramps the hand into the trigger guard.  Makes for hurt fingers sometimes when the recoil jambs the finger guard into the hand.

And I think the fore stock is too wide.

We'll see!

7 hours ago, Taos said:

The buttstock is too "fat" at the pistol grip and cramps the hand into the trigger guard.  Makes for hurt fingers sometimes when the recoil jambs the finger guard into the hand.

We'll see!

@Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 told me to add some length to the buttstock to help with the finger bashing. I did, and it was amazing, that's why I had the slip on sissy pad last Saturday. I am going to put some more under that pad. It was really an amazing help!

Yea, Stoegers bash!  I do not like the Stoeger stock, its bulky and short between the pistol grip and trigger guard.

Just so happens I took Luke's Stoeger butt stock to the belt sander yesterday.  I narrowed it down all over and made more space between the pistol grip and trigger guard.

An amazing difference!

I still don't like it as well as a Baikal butt stock, but it's a LOT better.

Is yours a single or double trigger gun?

Both mine are double triggers. I shot the 20 yesterday without the extra pad on it and it got me. It sounds too simple, but that is how most useful ideas are.

I got my first Stoeger the other day, as a second gun.   I've handled Stoegers before and wasn't comfortable with the butt or fore stocks, but figured I could live with that.  Then the finger bash.....oh no, something's got to be done!

I also noticed the triggers are set for left handed shooters....what the heck!

Took me about 4 hours (first time slowness) and I swapped the right to left and left to right triggers!   WOW!  What a difference!   I don't think I'll even get any finger smashing now.   Might sell my spare Bakail and keep the Stoeger now.  

You might want to save the originals spring. My Stoeger started popping open with a lighter spring once it got broken in. When  I took it apart, I noticed that the lock lever was not going up into the barrel lugs very far. Maybe 3/16"???  So by the time I shortened the top arm of the lock to let it travel farther forward into the lugs, the original spring seems lighter (less compression maybe??). That's the way I'm running it now. Seems the real reason it it was popping open was due to the lever not engaging the lugs deep enough. 

Sam Sackett

On 4/1/2021 at 9:47 AM, Taos said:

We'll see!

I have cut a few of the buttstocks down to "English style" configuration.  Perfect!

Blackfoot

Archived