SASS Wire Forum

Look at this squib

Fretless

I have found that after 10 or so loadings I start to get build-up in the primer holes and it makes for more difficult insertion of the primers, so now I just remove them before cleaning every 5 loadings or so and eliminate one more aggravation. With the LEE APP press it is very fast and simple, which is the main reason I got it.

2 hours ago, Assassin said:

Why waste time depriming before tumbling when you deprime on the first station of a progressive press? Sounds like additional work.

I never deprime on first station. I like clean primer pockets so i deprime after shooting. Then when i have enough brass ready, i wet tumble with pins. This cleans the primer pocket and being deprimed also prevents the brass from holding water as it drains out the primer hole. The brass dries better/faster  inside. It is additional work, but worth it to me. 

;) Hi Fretless :mellow:

As you see, there are an uncounted number of methods and opinions.  It's a lot like asking a question of a Lawyer (Hi Loophole :D) so I'll try and make simple.  First, a wash with water, when shooting smokeless is a waste of your time.  Water is NOT going to remove the spooge (technical term) buildup from Smokeless Powder.  SO:  Let's keep it simple.  Real simple.  Go to DILLON for a Vibratory Case Tumbler.  If you're shooting by yourself, the small one will do just fine.  Stop by your local pet store and pick up a bag of "Lizard Litter" which is Crushed Walnut, or order a bag from DILLON.  Same stuff.  After you get a couple hundred fired cases, drop them in the vibrator, and let it run for an hour or two.  You're done.  the brass won't come out looking new.  It WILL come out clean for reloading.  Then just run your brass thru you press as normal.  You don't need to de-prime before cleaning.  That's just an unnecessary extra step.  Get a shoe box.  Toss your cases in the shoe box and spray with a little case lube, even if using carbide dies.  You're brass and your arm will thank you.  When you finish a loading session, just toss your newly loaded ammo in your cartridge boxes or in a bulk box.  No need to remove the lube residue.

If your OCD about your brass looking like "new" every time.  You'll need to spend lots more money and go thru a bunch more steps to get it that way.  Bright shiny brass doesn't shoot any better than lightly stained brass.  Those stains give it character.

You only use water to clean brass if your shooting Black Powder or Subs.

Stay Safe Out There

Archived