SASS Wire Forum

our governor went into quarantine

Trigger Mike

Why get the vaccine if you still have to quarantine yourself every time someone near you tests positive? You could end up in quarantine more often than not, as this isn't going away anytime soon.

By the numbers: per the SF chronicle today.

30,394,813 cases in the US. 551,003 DEATHS. 335,000,000 aprox population.

Less than 10% infection rate (.0907) of the population in the US. Of those infected 1% fatality rate. Of the total population .001% fatality rate.

Vaccines range from 64-98% effective against a virus that has a 99% recovery rate. 

Did the Governor have both shots of the two shot vaccine?

It just dawned on me...why should I care?

Never mind...gotta go

Quoting all those pretty little numbers is just great.  Right up until YOUR the one in the ICU with a Ventilator clamped on your face.  Suggest you quote all those pretty little numbers to the Family members of the Half Million whom have died.  Let us know how far you get.

I had it. My son had it and a future daughter in law had it. Any death is a tragedy. And those families grieve for their lost. Nobody promised we would get through life without tragedy. Cancer, heart attacks, and many other reasons exist to cause people to live in fear.

I lost 2 cousins in 2 different car accidents. I still drive. ANY risk can be overblown but if I have a 1 in 1000 chance of dying from a virus it's probably not going to slow me down. I believe each adult should make their best choice FOR THEM. I look at the numbers and made my decisions. 

This is a biological event and it's not going away

The United States population on March 24, 2021 was: 330,158,843 

https://www.census.gov/popclock/

Number of dead in USA from CoVid: 547,296

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#datatracker-home

The number of dead from CoVid is 0.16% of the population - THANKS @Still hand Bill

During the Spanish Flu of 1918-1919 the population of the USA was 106,021,536 in the 1920 census. 
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1920_United_States_census

Deaths from the Spanish Flu in the USA numbered 675,000 per the CDC Archives.  
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/1918-commemoration/1918-pandemic-history.htm

Adding the 1920 population to the death toll of the Spanish Flu means that of a total estimated population of 106,696,536 that 6.3% of the population perished due to Spanish Flu. 

I truly hope that our numbers never come close to the percentages of the dead seen during the Spanish Flu pandemic of 1918-1919. 

Politics aside, I think we have done a pretty good job comparatively here in the USA. 
Let’s continue to do a good job, for everyone’s sake. 

The US tends to reduce numbers and impact of pandemics due to our non socialized medical system and a natural predisposition to increased personal space. SARS -( sudden acute respiratory  syndrome) became MARS (mild acute respiratory syndrome) when it hit the US.

Read once that at about 20% fatality rate a society starts to fail when most people cut and get home to take care of theirs. 

I am still waiting for HHS to publish the mortality numbers for 2020. I would like to see how much deviation they have over an average year.

33 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

The United States population on March 24, 2021 was: 330,158,843 

https://www.census.gov/popclock/

Number of dead in USA from CoVid: 547,296

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#datatracker-home

The number of dead from CoVid is 1.6% of the population 

During the Spanish Flu of 1918-1919 the population of the USA was 106,021,536 in the 1920 census. 
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1920_United_States_census

Deaths from the Spanish Flu in the USA numbered 675,000 per the CDC Archives.  
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/1918-commemoration/1918-pandemic-history.htm

Adding the 1920 population to the death toll of the Spanish Flu means that of a total estimated population of 106,696,536 that 6.3% of the population perished due to Spanish Flu. 

I truly hope that our numbers never come close to the percentages of the dead seen during the Spanish Flu pandemic of 1918-1919. 

Politics aside, I think we have done a pretty good job comparatively here in the USA. 
Let’s continue to do a good job, for everyone’s sake. 

I think you are off by a factor of 100 on that %.  550,000/330000000 x100 is only .16%.    1.6% would be 5.3 million dead. 

4 hours ago, Texas Joker said:

Vaccines range from 64-98% effective against a virus that has a 99% recovery rate. 

Those numbers are for not testing positive for Covid. 

No vaccine is 100% this includes Small Pox, Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Polio. What they are effective at is eliminating deaths from those diseases. Had we tested for Polio like we are testing for Covid we would have seen a lot of people test positive but with no symptoms and a have a very low probability of being contagious even though testing positive. 

BTW All the current vaccines are 100% effective in eliminating hospitalization and 99.9% effective against have serious symptoms.

21 minutes ago, Still hand Bill said:

I think you are off by a factor of 100 on that %.  550,000/330000000 x100 is only .16%.    1.6% would be 5.3 million dead. 

You are correct! I fixed my post. Thank you for catching that. :)

Not 100% people will still get the virus and the hope is that it will reduce severity. There is a story out of Washington state today about break through cases. https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/Health/100-fully-vaccinated-people-contract-covid-19-washington/story%3fid=76784838

Of 1.2 million people vaccinated 8 were hospitalized and 2 died. The deceased were over 80 and had comorbidities. Does the vaccine reduce the level of risk? Yes it does but it doesn't remove it completely. Having antibodies from exposure also limits risk but doesn't remove it completely 

And like the flu as we deal with mutations they are going to have to tailor the vaccines to the strains out there and make the best guess as to what the seasonal vaccine needs to be.

People get their flu shot and still get the flu. And the flu and complications therefrom still kills about 30-50k a year.

"BTW All the current vaccines are 100% effective in eliminating hospitalization and 99.9% effective against have serious symptoms. "

Good. Then you go get your shot and leave the rest of us alone, as you now have nothing to worry about.

I swear, all these pro-vaccine people are starting to sound exactly like the anti-gun people.

"Do it for the children, and the old folks, and those at risk" .

"It is for the greater good, even if you have to give up some personal rights".

" We are the government and know what is good for you".

I wish they'd put OUR governor in quarantine.  Long-term quarantine.  And forget where they put 'im.  -_-

4 hours ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

"BTW All the current vaccines are 100% effective in eliminating hospitalization and 99.9% effective against have serious symptoms. "

Good. Then you go get your shot and leave the rest of us alone, as you now have nothing to worry about.

I swear, all these pro-vaccine people are starting to sound exactly like the anti-gun people.

Shaming fellow CAS folks for seeing things differently.  I do believe we had a thread on "shaming."

4 hours ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

im in agreement , if all those that want the vaccine get it , they are apparently protected , why do they care about those that dont ? it does seem they are really far too interested in the business of others when it no longer affects them , 

3 minutes ago, watab kid said:

im in agreement , if all those that want the vaccine get it , they are apparently protected , why do they care about those that dont ? it does seem they are really far too interested in the business of others when it no longer affects them , 

This is so sad.  Why?  I just don't understand, why? 

Let's not cut others down on either side of the issue.  I just like to post the news without comment as a source of information to be viewed as one sees fit.  

I will add though that after a doc gave my wife a prescription that caused her to go septic , my view of meds is changing.   The same time it happened to her a friend got the vaccine that survived the virus and got hospitalized from the vaccine.   

I got my first shot Tuesday afternoon.  That evening I was nauseous,  felt like I'd been run over, and had both upper and lower gastric distress. 

Yesterday I went to work in spite of still feeling cruddy.  Came home after vomiting twice in 2 hours.   

This morning about 20 minutes after I took my morning meds I started feeling nauseous again.  Staying home today because I hate having to try to rush to the head at work. 

Re "Suggest you quote all those pretty little numbers to the Family member"  you can say the same thing about influenza which has been around longer and for which we have vaccines up the wazoo, but still have 50, 000 to 100,000 deaths per year.  

10 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

Hope you get to feeling better real soon 

Thanks. I don't feel too bad, but with the stomach grumbling and cramping, I'd much rather not risk having an unfortunate accident at work.  If I have to clean up the floor, or a chair, at home it's one thing.  Quite another at work.  I feel better than I did yesterday, and should be good to go tomorrow.

im sorry if my views offend anyone , i only want to be left alone in this "choice" we all have to make choices for ourselves , it has nothing to do with others , my not getting it has no affect on anyone else getting it and the protection it offers , from what im hearing there is question as to what that REALLY MEANS , 

if this had been allowed to run its course , it might well be done now , and yes there are many that would have been affected - myself included - but if you want to turn hostility on anyone you might focus on the source of this to begin with , im not going to look at my neighbors , friends , or relatives as the culprits in this mess , 

i will never blame a fellow cowboy/girl for something they would never have chosen to be a part of , i will however not take any ridicule or criticism for my choices in dealing with it , its not anyone's choice but mine , i will live [or die] with the consequences as God sees fit to hand me , for now im an american - not living under communism - who chooses to not get the shot , i will afford you exactly the same without criticism or ridicule , 

Archived