SASS Wire Forum

Vinyl

Utah Bob #35998

I got Carol a turntable stereo system. We dragged out our surviving 60s and 70s albums and have had a fine time groovin to the oldies all afternoon. Good memories. I’ll be getting some more platters. :D

And I just read that cassettes are the latest craze for the youngsters. 

The youngsters will learn why #2 pencils are handy with the cassettes!

41 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I got Carol a turntable stereo system. We dragged out our surviving 60s and 70s albums and have had a fine time groovin to the oldies all afternoon. Good memories. I’ll be getting some more platters. :D

Perhaps there is hope! 

45 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Maybe there's hope yet for an 8track revival!!

4 hours ago, Cemetery said:

Maybe there's hope yet for an 8track revival!!

Had a friend in California, an SASS member, who bought a bunch of eight tracks and every eight track tape he could find.  He had over a hundred and claimed not to have any duplicates.  Kept the best player for everyday use and the others were for when he wore one out.

He died about the time my wife did and his widow gave them all to the Salvation Army.  Shea also gave away all of his ammo and sold the guns to anyone who had a hundred bucks or more.

Remember the Quad 8?

Still have a bunch of 8 tracks.Even have a * track player still in the box.A insert adapter fo FM radio.

Largo

My Grandson loves albums. He has quite a collection. He’s 15 now. The boy loves Green Day and Johnny Cash. :lol: 

He also has a bunch of cassettes. We bought him a stereo for his birthday when he turned 14. He insisted on having a cassette player. He already had the turntable. So he has a stereo that can play AM/FM, CDs, tapes, vinyl albums and is Bluetooth and USB capable. The only thing missing is 8 Tracks. I don’t see the 8 Track thing happening. 

Howdy,

One day I hope to have a system that will play anything.

I still have a car that plays cassettes. Sort of the ultimate cassette player. a miata.

Best

CR

5 hours ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

I'm with you, i'm still waiting for the dial cellphones to come out. :)

I just found an app for that :D

Relics of the '70's in a dusty back room. I've actually got an 8 Track component deck back there somewhere too, and I think a cheapo reel to reel... somewhere.

Technics direct drive turntable, Sansui cassette deck, JVC receiver, Boston Acoustics speakers (Stateside source, IIRC). A couple month's pay back then, even with the 3 components coming from the Navy Exchange in Yokosuka, Japan.

ComponentStereo.jpg

3 minutes ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

WELL???????   Are you gonna keep it to yerself???

search "slick rotary" in the android store

Oh man, that brings memories! My Chevelle had factory am/fm WITH cassette, a Craig underdash 8track and a JC Penney 23 channel CB!

When we got home from the doctor today UPS had delivered Elvis’ 50 greatest hits. A slightly late birthday present. ;)

Ol’ Green has a factory in dash cassette player!!! :lol:

Our '12 Kia has a CD player in the radio/satellite set up. The '16 does not. They both have jacks for plugging in an I-pod or possibly a smart phone. Been quite a while since I had a vehicle with a cassette deck in it. Probably the '68 Stang that was my tinker toy in the '80's. I installed that set up myself. Am/Fm radio with cassette and an equalizer amp. Two 6x9's in the rear deck and a custom two speaker installation in the dash where the original single speaker for the Am radio was. Sounded great and looked pretty good as well:blush: 

Had a Sony cassette in my 69 Camaro. It even had remote control! Pretty cool for the late 80s! You could control it from the hood of the car but that's as far as the cord went. Lol. Matched it with a Majestic amp/EQ and Kenwood speakers. It's the main reason I can't hear worth a crap.

Back to the OP. I still have all my old LPs somewhere. Turntable took a dump 30 years ago.

if i still had any of my vinyl i would love to revisit a lot of the old 60s and 70s material i had , not to mention that of my parents from the 30s to 50s including their older 78s , but all that is gone now , i still have a very few cassettes , no 8 tracks , and all my reel to reel are long gone , 

i have bought CDs to replace some but wondering just how long those will last in this fast paced technology era , 

i still have an old 1920s Atwater Kent tube radio that works - its fun to have folks hear modern stuff emulating from this old upright - even still receives a bit of ham traffic when i get the antenna right , still have a suitcase of tubes for it in the storage area 

Keep your DVD's.  They'll be nostalgic items one day soon. 

The old vinyl records are becoming in demand for many....and not just for us old dinosaurs. 

UB, you and Carol have all the joys and blessings of a life together.

4 hours ago, punxsutawneypete said:

What do you mean "revival?"  I've been using them for the last 40+ years!

The phone system here won’t support dial phones.

Archived