SASS Wire Forum

Help With 1911

joachim slim

I bought a Rock Island 1911 45acp from a friend. He says its a Commander and I say its an Officers model. It does have a 3 1/2" barrel. The real question is the grip panels. The ones on it measure 2 3/4" from center hole to center hole. Anyone have any ideas?

Just measured the grip panels from a gov't model (same as commander, right?) at 4 1/8".

Ooops, I held the tape at 1", so should read 3 1/8", just about what Mr. Kloehr said:blush:

The differences between Colt 1911 Models in .45 ACP:

• Government: 5-inch barrel, 8+1 capacity (originally 7+1).
  • Commander: 4.25-inch barrel, 8+1 capacity.
  • Officer: 3.5-inch barrel, 6 and 7+1 capacity.
  • Defender: 3-inch barrel, 7+1 capacity.

3.074 +/- 0.005" for Government (all full-size including Commander). This is the published specification.

Some makers use 3.0625. Generally, these grips and per-spec grips are interchangeable.

Compacts (including Commander) are roughly 2.6875 center to center on grip screws. I must say "roughly" because Colt never published the specification.

Even them the 3.074" is actually a calculated distance as the specification calls out X and Y offsets, not the actual distance. So the "distance" comes from applying the Pythagorean Theorem using the other two sides of the triangle.

Sorry John, but the Commander has the full grip length frame as the 5" Gov't Model.

Archived