SASS Wire Forum

The Classic Winchester Line

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

2 hours ago, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

That’s too bad I was interested to see what the Classic Winchester Line was all about!

Well I guess I could try it again.   In a nutshell, what can we consider to be the "Classic Winchester Line?"  We'll start with these, the obvious things.

Henry

1887 shotgun

1893 shotgun

1897 shotgun

I think we can all safely agree that the above are without doubt the "core" of the classic line.   But what about the following?

1901 shotgun   Okay, this one is "questionable" for two reasons.  It was not made in the 1800's and, technically, it's a variant of the 87, but had enough differences to get a new model designation.  But it was designed by John Browning, so it is worthy of inclusion.

And there are the "Variants" of other rifles.

Model 53.  Variant of the 92

Model 55.  Variant of the 94

Model 64.  Variant of the 94

Model 65.  Variant of the 92

Model 71.  Variant of the 86

Do these warrant a listing all their own, or a sub heading under the guns they are derived from?  Or should they not be considered part of the classic lineup?

Model 12 Shotgun.   Okay, we are getting farther away from the core of the classic lineup, but it was designed by John Browning, so does that make it worthy of inclusion?

And finally...

Model 88   A completely modern rifle with a detachable box magazine in .308.   About as different from the classic line as can be.  But it IS a lever gun and was Winchester's attempt to get back to its roots.  Does that make it worthy of at least a footnote?

Opinions desired.

You left out the 92 in the original linage.

First, now that I read what he was originally was writing about Colorado, I CARE!  You see I collect Winchester lever rifles as close as I can to either originals, Miruko or replicas. Secondly, it would be fun to find out what others had as I am trying to get a 1876 and 1895. 
so as I am told many times by moderators here, if the post or poster upsets you or writes about something you are not interested in or don’t like, don’t read it!  That way we who do care get to read what we like. Ok?

How about all the rifles Winchester bought out and failed to produce so they wouldn't compete with the Winchester line?  can we include those?  

If you just mean "relevant to the sport," I think you got it with the original list (plus variants). It would be hard to argue on a broader scope that the pre-64 Model 70 wasn't part of the "classic Winchester line."

18 hours ago, Nimble Fingers SASS# 25439 said:

That’s too bad I was interested to see what the Classic Winchester Line was all about!

A (possible) Classic Winchester Line:

Oliver, as a lonely young man, might have said something like, "Would you like to come back to my factory and lever my rifle?"   :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, Brazos John said:

A (possible) Classic Winchester Line:

Oliver, as a lonely young man, might have said something like, "Would you like to come back to my factory and lever my rifle?"   :rolleyes:

Isn’t that in that silly horror movie, where Oliver’s widow is thinking that her home is haunted by everyone killed by a Winchester rifle?

I actually did almost include the Model 70 on the list of stuff after the "classic line" as one of the possible other things.

But since the bolt action is so very much a "modern" gun, in spite of also dating from the late 1800's, I didn't list it as it was too "different" from the obvious stuff.   

But yeah, it very well could fit in the with 1901, and the 12.

I honestly don't know if you can put the 88 in with those though.   It only gets any consideration from me because it is a lever gun.

The "Variants" remain a big question mark to me.

Archived