SASS Wire Forum

Mayo or no mayo?

Yes! Have it your way! :P

(cue patriotic band music) :FlagAm:

I think Americans deserve to have their burgers and dogs the way they like without having to feel they need to follow some unwritten rule. Did the Colonists subject themselves to the Will of King George? NO! They did not! Did Americans bow to the Germans that insisted mustard is the only proper condiment? NO! They did not!

We did not and we took it further!

We created Ketchup!

The French created Mayonnaise, but we perfected it. 

The French created Mustard but we perfected it. 
We created Special Sauce!

We Americans created the Hamburger and we Americans can have our burgers any way we see fit, by God, without the Will of others telling us how we must have our burgers!

The burger and dog police must be kept at bay!

When George Washington crossed the Delaware to have a freshly made hamburger did he settle for just mustard? No he did not!

When Abraham Lincoln took Mary to McDonalds did he not specifically request “Special Sauce”? Yes he did!

When McArthur returned did he ask for mayonnaise on his burger with melted cheese and lettuce with tomato? Yes he did!

My fellow Americans do not allow anyone to dictate your condiments to you. Demand the condiments you love because you are an American and this is a free country!

(end patriotic music)

:P

What I put on my burgers and dogs depends on my mood. Often I will put nothing on my burgers. Some of the best burgers I have had I just ordered a burger and let them make it as they see fit. Most restaurants create what they think is a better way of doing burgers. Sometimes I try it their way and often it’s darn good. 

At home I will sometimes do just ketchup or mustard or Mayo. Sometimes all 3. Sometimes mustard, Mayo and horseradish sauce. One of my favorites is Cheeseburger with lettuce, tomato and mayonnaise, only. 

I use a creamy horseradish sauce.   I had a hamburger on rye years ago and the restaurant served it with a creamy horseradish sauce and I haven't used ketchup since.

1 hour ago, Chantry said:

I use a creamy horseradish sauce.   I had a hamburger on rye years ago and the restaurant served it with a creamy horseradish sauce and I haven't used ketchup since.

If you ever get a chance to try “Beano’s” horseradish sauce give it a try. It’s my favorite. 

2 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I don't think there's any place for either on a hamburger.....unless you can find mushroom ketchup.  Haven't seen that in a 'coon's age".

I can’t remember ever having a hamburger without ketchup unless I didn’t have any! :D

Hamburger- always pickles on it.   Most of the time mustard and catsup.  Sometimes instead of catsup I'll make a little thousand island for it.  If I have real tomatoes I'll put on a few thin slices.  

If I put Swiss-style cheese, then thousand island and sauerkraut.   

Lettuce may or may not make an appearance. 

Other things I have put on more than once, not all at the sametime:

Potato Chips

BBQ sauce 

Cocktail sauce 

Horseradish 

Pickled carrots 

Howdy,

If someone wants mayo thats fine with me....

Just dont put it on mine.

A local shop I order a burger with lettuce tomato and onion. NOTHING ELSE.

And I still get asked if I want this or that...Which mystifies me.

When I get the burger home I add a little bbq sauce after reheating the patty.

I have found the Pizza pro is an excellent way to warm fries.

I do like a sprinkle of pickle relish but ask for it at a store and they pile on

a couple tablespoons full.

One local store makes a blt with cheeze and a small burger patty. Wonderful.

Best

CR

Cheddar cheese, grilled onion and A-1 sauce, that's my idea of a burger.

Miracle Whip? EGADS, my friend you need serious help.

40 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Mayo is okay I guess. My favorite is a double cheeseburger (3 slices) with bacon and 1,000 Island dressing. Oh, no damn pickles either.

Thousand Island usually has pickle relish in it!!

I’ll take mayo with tomato and hot onion on a hamburger. No tomato? A little spicy mustard instead.

On a “cheeseburger”, mayo is the only spread I want! The favorite combo is tomato, onion, spicy pickle, good bacon, and a healthy but not sloppy slather of mayo.

Ketchup is for fries!!

Prepare to defend yourself if you get near my sandwich with lettuce!!! :angry: :lol:

16 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Thousand Island usually has pickle relish in it!!

I’ll take mayo with tomato and hot onion on a hamburger. No tomato? A little spicy mustard instead.

On a “cheeseburger”, mayo is the only spread I want! The favorite combo is tomato, onion, spicy pickle, good bacon, and a healthy but not sloppy slather of mayo.

Ketchup is for fries!!

Prepare to defend yourself if you get near my sandwich with lettuce!!! :angry: :lol:

Yeah, but it is not real noticeable and I think it's sweet pickle relish....I can take that.

I'm with ya on the lettuce. I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to eat leaves.;)

2 minutes ago, Cypress Sun said:

Yeah, but it is not real noticeable and I think it's sweet pickle relish....I can take that.

I'm with ya on the lettuce. I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to eat leaves.;)

I keep replaying in my head, a scene from the old sitcom, “ALF”.

Alf has moved in with a girlfriend who has brought home a bag of groceries, spinach, sprouts, lettuce, broccoli, and the like. Alf pokes his head into the bag and yells, “Where’s the food?”

His roommate answers,”That’s food!”

Alf replies, “NO! THIS IS WHAT FOOD EATS!!!”

I will agree with @Pat Riot, SASS #13748 on this one. Whatever you want on it, have at it! As for me personally, I won't put mayo on a burger I make, nor will I ask for it if I am ordering a burger. If I'm traveling and stop at a Burger King, then I know the Whopper will have it, and I don't mind it.

I will go on record as saying mayo on fries elicits one response from me. EEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!

I shake my head in sadness when my daughter puts ketchup on her hotdog, and wonder where I went wrong and failed as a father.

6 minutes ago, DocWard said:

I will agree with @Pat Riot, SASS #13748 on this one. Whatever you want on it, have at it! As for me personally, I won't put mayo on a burger I make, nor will I ask for it if I am ordering a burger. If I'm traveling and stop at a Burger King, then I know the Whopper will have it, and I don't mind it.

I will go on record as saying mayo on fries elicits one response from me. EEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!

I shake my head in sadness when my daughter puts ketchup on her hotdog, and wonder where I went wrong and failed as a father.

I was on a trip to Pocono for a show for Winston.  While wandering through the infield vendors’ row, I stopped at the only hotdog/sausage stand on the infield.  I LOVE me a good Italian Sausage sandwich with onions and peppers!  I ordered one up and since I was the first customer of the day, we got to talking while he piled on the food. When he handed me the sandwich, I looked around and finally asked where the mustard was.

He looked at me like I was from Vulcan!!  

I paid him for the sandwich and hurried back to the band bus.  I dug off into the fridge and grabbed some spicy brown mustard and ambled back over to his stand, enjoying my repast. 

When I got there, I convinced him to make himself a “sample” sandwich and I laid on some of that spicy golden flavor.

He took one bite and started hopping around with this huge grin on his face!!  He sent to Wilkes Barre and bought two big restaurant size dispenser jars, one regular yellow and one spicy brown!!

From then on, I ate free at every event where he was on the property!

MUSTARD on hotdogs and sausage sandwiches is just RIGHT!!

Mayo and mustard. 

Not real fond of ketchup, so I can take it or leave it.  If it's on it, I'll eat it.  If it's not, then I ain't complaining nor am I gonna add it myself.

The same goes for hotdogs- especially chilidogs or scrambled dogs.

Mustard with sausages (whether bratwurst style or ground pork sausage).  Mayo is too much added grease and only makes the heartburn worse than it's already going to be.

Archived