SASS Wire Forum

New Member SASS

Whiskey John

Hello all,

New member here.  Excited about getting into this as new hobby.  Recently got my coach gun.  Know the pistols and likely rifle I am getting.  Open to suggestions, donations, or if anyone has anything they want to sell that I will need to get going let me know.  Could use a lead on some affordable leather for my holsters and belt.  

I am also looking for some small pistol primers without getting my head knocked off.  Trying to start reloading too.  I got a press, and some dies.  Now I need primers, powder, brass, and bullets.  Starting with 9mm because I figured the easiest to learn on then intend to reload for my cowboy shooting and practice.  

Welcome Whiskey John to the best game and folks goin.

You're starting like I did in 2012 with all the components in short supply. Try the itty bitty shops that are only open 1 or 2 nights a week for powder etc. That's where I found it back then. Mostly covered with dust!

5a2a989e95497_SASSWelcome.JPG.ed5045d9abb98d8837093843c187d2e5.JPG

43 minutes ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

Try learning the 38 Special first. It’s a straight wall cartridge and great caliber to start learning on.

Last I looked 9mm is a straight wall cartridge...

10 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Yes, but why practice on something that he likely can’t use for Cowboy Action (Blackhawk and Vaquero 9mm cylinders excluded) primers are short supply. Learn on an easy 38 straight wall cartridge that he can use for the game.

50 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Matthew the 9mm Luger is actually tapered and I know many that issues learning to properly crimp them....just saying. 38's are great combo for new shooter for pistols and rifles same ammo and easiest loading cartridge in the lot.

JR, add your location.  You will get invitation to local clubs.  There may be someone with used leather to sell you.  Many of us changes our rigs over time and have leather we no longer use.  Regarding primers, load 9 mm Luger with whatever small pistol primers you can find.  While we prefer Federal for our revolvers, semi-autos don't need Federal primers.  I've never bought 9 mm brass.  I've got enough range pickups that I never needed to buy any.  I shoot 38 Specials and buy once-fired brass on online gun auction sites for less than $0.05 per case.  We shoot cast bullets in our revolvers.  Though many casters are backordered, there are reports that Chey Cast and Colorado Cast are shipping quickly.  Many pistol or shotgun powders will work for CAS.  Buy a pound of whatever powder you can find that will work and start with that powder.  You can find lists of suitable powders on this Wire.

Regarding reloading equipment, you will need more than a press and dies.  You also need a scale, calipers, case gauge and an impact bullet puller (to salvage defective rounds).  

Try calling @Scarlett she’s a cowboy shooter and has been known from time to time to find things to help new shooters.  Don’t go by what it shows on the website, call her or email her, here’s her website Bullets by Scarlett  and welcome to the most fun you’ll have with your britches on.

10 hours ago, Will Burn Powder said:

Matthew the 9mm Luger is actually tapered and I know many that issues learning to properly crimp them....just saying. 38's are great combo for new shooter for pistols and rifles same ammo and easiest loading cartridge in the lot.

I stand corrected.  I read bottled-neck and I was wrong.

10 hours ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

Yes, but why practice on something that he likely can’t use for Cowboy Action (Blackhawk and Vaquero 9mm cylinders excluded) primers are short supply. Learn on an easy 38 straight wall cartridge that he can use for the game.

Because he uses 9mm for a different shooting venue?

Whiskey John I have a cart for sale if you need that. It was built by Tyger River Ray. He built quite a few for shooters in the Carolinas, but this was his personal cart and the last he sold.. Unfortunately he passed not long after he sold it to me. If you are interested  I will send you some pics. We will be at the SC State Championship  in Belton, SC next week,  not too far from you.  That would be a great place for you to check out, lots of things for sale at the larger matches. Glad you are joining in the fun!

On 3/30/2021 at 5:53 AM, Whiskey John said:

Could use a lead on some affordable leather for my holsters and belt.  

I have a very "experienced" shotgun belt (12 ga) you can have if it fits ya. Just pay for shipping. It'll make a good starter belt. Let me know and welcome to your new addiction:D

DB:FlagAm:

sgb1.jpg

sgb3.jpg

On 3/30/2021 at 8:53 AM, Whiskey John said:

Hello all,

New member here.  Excited about getting into this as new hobby.  Recently got my coach gun.  Know the pistols and likely rifle I am getting.  Open to suggestions, donations, or if anyone has anything they want to sell that I will need to get going let me know.  Could use a lead on some affordable leather for my holsters and belt.  

I am also looking for some small pistol primers without getting my head knocked off.  Trying to start reloading too.  I got a press, and some dies.  Now I need primers, powder, brass, and bullets.  Starting with 9mm because I figured the easiest to learn on then intend to reload for my cowboy shooting and practice.  

Welcome Whiskey John,

You say you know what revolvers (pistols) you are getting. I recommend you shoot a few at a match or two, then decide. Once you decide, you can post again and the members here will help you find the gear you need.

Already got a line on a sweet cart, but thanks.  What size waist was the belt on.  Not really sure how to measure for that.  Think the challenge at the moment will be finding powder and primers..... makes me sick when people triple and quadruple the price on stuff that is hard to find.  Makes it darn near impossible for folks like me to get going.  

Hey Whiskey, 

New myself, picked up a lever gun, but looking for a coach gun. Where did you get yours and was it reasonably priced? I've been looking on GunBroker but everything there is either broken or way overpriced. 

I got lucky and found a super nice guy on here that actually sold me on joining SASS.  Just got lucky.  Looked for a long time.  I can relate to your frustration.  

2 hours ago, Muley Gil SASS # 57795 said:

Welcome Whiskey John,

You say you know what revolvers (pistols) you are getting. I recommend you shoot a few at a match or two, then decide. Once you decide, you can post again and the members here will help you find the gear you need.

I appreciate the advice given to new guys. I am new myself. 

I disagree some though. The new guy usually picks out what he likes and wants to shoot. The established guys usually recommend guns that go faster. I think new guys should shoot what excites them and worry about going fast later. No harm in buying more guns later if they decide to compete for speed titles is there? I know my choices are not going to win any speed awards,,,but i know I’ll have fun shooting them. 

Do not get caught up in the equipment race.

1 hour ago, John Ruth said:

Hey Whiskey, 

New myself, picked up a lever gun, but looking for a coach gun. Where did you get yours and was it reasonably priced? I've been looking on GunBroker but everything there is either broken or way overpriced. 

I got a CZ Sharptail Coach recently on Guns America from a company called The Exchange in SD.  I paid a little bit less than suggested retail and they were great to deal with.  It's not cheap like a Stoeger but I thought it was a fair price.  I bought a 12 gauge but if you don't mind a 20 gauge it looks like they have one in stock.  Good luck.

5 hours ago, Whiskey John said:

What size waist was the belt on.

Get a tape measure and measure around the area where you'll wear the shotgun belt(a fist or two above your gunbelt). If it's under 45 inches, this belt will fit.  I wear size 34 pants, to answer your question.

DB:FlagAm:

6 hours ago, Marshall Matt Dillon said:

No harm in buying more guns later

Ha, ha, ha! Who buys more guns later? 

Nobody has a safe or two of guns that they haven't shot in years, do they?

Who needs more than 2 pistols, a rifle, and a shotgun?

Well, maybe just a set of back-up pistols.

And maybe another type of shotgun (sxs, pump, or lever). 

And maybe a lever-action long-range rifle. 

And maybe a single-shot long range rifle.

And maybe some extra leather to fit the back-up pistols.

And what about side matches? Pocket pistols are always popular.

Have you looked into black powder cap and ball?  

And then there's reloading equipment.....

Lots of stuff to learn, but you've found the best source of info right here (not me, the other guys).

Welcome to the fun!

12 hours ago, Brazos John said:

Lots of stuff to learn, but you've found the best source of info right here (not me, the other guys).

Welcome to the fun!

This is so true, it hurts! It hurts! :D

14 hours ago, Brazos John said:

Welcome to the fun!

....and then there's the RV or travel trailer!:P:blink:

Welcome! I have been reloading for a couple decades so nowhere near as long as some of the fellas here. 38 special is my favorite pistol caliber to reload. Easy and large enough to see everything comfortably. 9mm isnt difficult but can sometimes be finicky around the case head. Just my two cents. Have fun!!!

On 3/31/2021 at 3:43 PM, Marshall Matt Dillon said:

I appreciate the advice given to new guys. I am new myself. 

I disagree some though. The new guy usually picks out what he likes and wants to shoot. The established guys usually recommend guns that go faster. I think new guys should shoot what excites them and worry about going fast later. No harm in buying more guns later if they decide to compete for speed titles is there? I know my choices are not going to win any speed awards,,,but i know I’ll have fun shooting them. 

Do not get caught up in the equipment race.

I have to disagree with Marshall Dillon.  I bought mid price guns to start, then had to replace the long guns within a year. I did get lucky and buy Ruger pistols to start. If you want to go fast, and think you have the skills to do it, then buy good guns to start. My advice is to buy "stock" Vaqueros,  Winchester 73 (plenty available on Gunbroker.com for about $1100 shipped), and a Baikal double barrel. You will ALWAYS  be able to get your money back on those if you get out later. When your talent catches up with those, you will have great guns for one of the talented gunsmithing to trick up. In the meantime I'm sure some cow pokes will share their spares to get your feet wet. 

19 minutes ago, Solomon Vaquero said:

I have to disagree with Marshall Dillon.  I bought mid price guns to start, then had to replace the long guns within a year. I did get lucky and buy Ruger pistols to start. If you want to go fast, and think you have the skills to do it, then buy good guns to start. My advice is to buy "stock" Vaqueros,  Winchester 73 (plenty available on Gunbroker.com for about $1100 shipped), and a Baikal double barrel. You will ALWAYS  be able to get your money back on those if you get out later. When your talent catches up with those, you will have great guns for one of the talented gunsmithing to trick up. In the meantime I'm sure some cow pokes will share their spares to get your feet wet. 

Ah yes,,,,you are buying into the speed equipment route. That is great,,for you.

Stock vaqueros, winchester 73, and a baikel shotgun definitely aren’t my style. I do like them because they are guns, but it would be boring if everybody shoots the same thing. It does sound like good choices for the speedy avenue. I do like ruger Bisleys! 

I am sure i have the skills to go fast, but not the desire to make that my main objective.  My idea of fun here is a pair of S&W 7 inch schofields, a lightning rifle and an original unmodified winchester 1887. Nothing speedy about them, but already having big fun in my back yard! Well, the lightning can go fast. Next week, I’ll want to shoot something else. I have a couple old colts that need exercised. 

Get my money back???  Lol,,,you sell guns?

On 3/31/2021 at 1:14 PM, Whiskey John said:

Already got a line on a sweet cart, but thanks.  What size waist was the belt on.  Not really sure how to measure for that.  Think the challenge at the moment will be finding powder and primers..... makes me sick when people triple and quadruple the price on stuff that is hard to find.  Makes it darn near impossible for folks like me to get going.  

You’re coming to Belton... Bulldog Jackson of Jackson’s Western Store will be there. He has nice and very reasonably priced leather. Look forward to meeting you! 

Hugs!

Scarlett

Archived