SASS Wire Forum

Uburti cattlemen binding up

Currituck Kid

Hey everyone,

I have a uburti cattlemen that was worked by the guys at Taylor and company to be race ready a few years ago chambered in 38-40. 

I've shot this gun for over 2 year now with no issues. Last Saturday I went out and every time i shot a casing it would bind up and not let me go through cocking motions. I should add it was one specific chamber. Here's the thing, my other pistol was not having any issues with my reloads. 

Non fired cases would rotate just fine. Spent casings would almost bind up and lock the cylinder up. 

Any ideas? I'd like to get this working so that I can compete again, sending it off to a gunsmith is my last resort due to cost. 

Have you changed your load or was the weather colder?  Sounds like primers backing out from too-light loads, except for the only one chamber thing...

Yep, the common cause of a fired case binding up a cylinder is too-light loads. 

You can see and feel a backed out primer - the primer body sticking out above the rest of the surface of the base of the fired case is the giveaway.  If you FORCED the cylinder to turn, you may even have scrape marks on the fired primer where it rotated past the recoil shield.

One chamber can be cut slightly larger than the rest.  Or perhaps got polished at some point.  That chamber would then be more likely to let a case back out when fired. 

A quick way to get back to shooting (if you are SURE your loads are OK) would be to put some fingernail polish on the stubborn chamber and not load it at the loading table.  That would be your empty chamber to lower the hammer onto at the table.  

Otherwise, with light load problems, bump up the powder another half a grain at a time until primers no longer back out.

good luck, GJ

So a light load would cause a primer to back out? Because I did make these lighter loads. 

Can you explain why a light load would so that? 

I plan on stripping the gun down and making sure everything is good. Trimming all brass and basically try everything. 

Kid, primers always back out when they first pop but then recoil from the shell firing pushes it back against the recoil shield and this reseats the primer.  Not enough recoil means it doesn't get reseated enough.

Pressure is low enough that the case does not set back against the recoil shield so the primer gets pushed out to fill the gap.

Bump the load up until it quits happening.

3 hours ago, Currituck Kid said:

I plan on stripping the gun down and making sure everything is good. Trimming all brass and basically try everything. 

Certainly no need to go into "headless chicken" mode.   You changed the load to something lighter.  You had a problem with primer back-out.   Your latest change is the PRIME reason you have the current problem.     Otherwise, you start chasing ghosts.

good luck, GJ

5 minutes ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

I have shot Cattlemen for 17 years. The only issue I have ever had was caused by light loads/backed out primers.

Imis

:FlagAm: You do have other issues!:o

We can talk.

All for now.

Chas

this issue bound up three of mine in the early days before i knew this , ive had other issues since but this is the major cause of your problem - that and cold weather with certain powders , no one asked of this but its worth consideration if it persists after you increase your load a bit , i still have some light loads in my stores that occasionally cause this issue but as ive gone along ive added just that 1/2 grain to overcome it , its a fine line and not overly noticeable save for the bind up ,  

1 additional thing to check is the cylinder bushing. If it has not been removed and the underside cleaned, residue will build up and cause binding. Scrub it really well with a tooth brush and whatever you use to clean the barrel with. Worth a look. 

4AD6F721-CF79-4D2C-B4B4-61A0BB9FCC1E.jpeg

On 3/29/2021 at 10:06 PM, Currituck Kid said:

So a light load would cause a primer to back out? Because I did make these lighter loads. 

Can you explain why a light load would so that? 

Because friction between the case and chamber was high, and the internal case pressures were too low to stretch the case to the breech face.

Happens to rifles too.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/JRQ7Ijz.jpg[/img]

Last month at the range, a bud with a M700 in 308 Win was having to knock out his cases with a cleaning rod. His loads were so light that the case was adhering to the chamber walls and not stretching. The primer was backed out to the bolt face. What happened is that the case rim was above the extractor and when he opened the bolt, the case stayed in the chamber. I brought a small bottle of mineral oil over to his bench, dribbled a little oil on each cartridge,  fired a few, and every case slide to the bolt face and he was able to extract the case normally.

Let me recommend, leave the case lube on the case after sizing.  With clean cases,  add the slightest amount of oil. The case will not be able to grip the case, the case will slide to the breechface, and the primer will be stuffed back in the pocket. That will seat the primers. I have not done this to bottlenecked cases in pistols, so I don't know if the oil will have the same affect on cylinder spring as does a backed out primer. Pistols are not as rigid as rifle mechanisms, and I do not have any bottlenecked pistol cartridges. I do regularly lube 45 ACP cases fired in a 1911, improves function reliability with low impluse loads. The 45 ACP is however, quite straight

Archived