SASS Wire Forum

That's Rather Impressive

Subdeacon Joe

Just now, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

It is the valves. Valves always tick. 

Add gear oil to the crank case and sell it! Lol

I once had one rod bent - certainly not THAT severely - and another twisted about 4-5 degrees.

The car?  My 1500 cc 1968 VW Beetle.  :lol:

Swallowed a valve - No. 1 intake, at about 70 mph.  The event was so violent that the valve shattered the piston; shrapnel travelled through the intake manifold to the opposite head and bent both intake valves.  The engine instantly siezed; I instinctively mashed the clutch and whipped across the lanes right in front of a horn-blasting semi-truck. 

Salvaging only the crankcase and crankshaft, I successfully rebuilt the engine in my 3rd floor bedroom of our 4-story frat house.  (A week after the rebuild, the car was stolen, later found destroyed at the bottom of a cliff. :()

I have seen rods bent like that from a piston seizing in CAT diesel engines.  When the piston seizes it instantly splits in the pin bore.   The rod side movement is no longer constrained by the cylinder liner; so the piston end becomes a hammer the will eventually punch a hole in the $$$$$$$$$$$$ block.  There is another catastrophic failure involving rods that is caused by loss of big end bearing lubrication.  On heavy duty diesels the rod will eventually be friction welded to the crank journal.  When that happens the crank & block are scrap.  Heavy duty engine blocks can usually be salvage if no oil passage is compromised.  Either they can be patched with a polymer product similar to JB Weld called Belzona or welded patch.

Archived