SASS Wire Forum

No Deposit Slips Accepted

Yul Lose

I had to make a deposit today and I haven’t been to the bank in awhile and the drive in teller told me that they couldn’t accept my deposit slip. I was speechless for a bit and then  I asked her why and she told me that it was their new paperless system. She asked me what I wanted to do and I told her I wanted to deposit some cash. She told me to send it in and I asked her how she would know what account to put it in and she asked me if it was my personal or joint account. I told her personal and sent it in and got a printed receipt back with my account # on it. So it’s paperless one way but not the other. It seems very odd to me.

3 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

I had to make a deposit today and I haven’t been to the bank in awhile and the drive in teller told me that they couldn’t accept my deposit slip. I was speechless for a bit and then  I asked her why and she told me that it was their new paperless system. She asked me what I wanted to do and I told her I wanted to deposit some cash. She told me to send it in and I asked her how she would know what account to put it in and she asked me if it was my personal or joint account. I told her personal and sent it in and got a printed receipt back with my account # on it. So it’s paperless one way but not the other. It seems very odd to me.

It's a way to minimize the risk of transmitting Covid

31 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

So...  just how DID she know your account information??   Did you use a "swipe or insert" card with PIN?  :huh:

1 hour ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

So...  just how DID she know your account information??   Did you use a "swipe or insert" card with PIN?  :huh:

She’s worked at the bank for 25 years or so, as long as I’ve been banking there but I do wonder how someone who doesn’t know me would know how to find the account information. I don’t even present ID when I go there. 

1 hour ago, Chantry said:

So the cash can’t carry covid but the deposit slip could? 

I just had the opposite occur. The teller asked for one so he would have a total from me for the checks I was cashing. Nope. Just give me my money. Hundreds please, they go in my gun fund. 

Local bank here verifies your identity and then takes your picture. From then on when you give them the account number they verify its you by the picture linked to the account.

My bank has no drive through any more and inside you swipe your debit card to identify yourself and accounts. For years they did not require deposit slips but two years ago they started requiring deposit slips. My brother can deposit his checks for his bank by writing certain information on the back of them and then taking pictures of it and deposit it electronically.

11 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

So the cash can’t carry covid but the deposit slip could? 

Stop using common sense  :P

Every bank I've been in is obsessive about keeping checks, withdrawal slips and deposit slips to be able to make sure the numbers match up at the end of the day.  Maybe your bank has figured out a different way to handle transactions or perhaps they have changed their procedures to reduce the chances of the staff getting Covid.

14 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Reminds me of the scene in Apple Dumpling Gang rides again when they try to make a deposit during a robbery.

15 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

I've been a member of the local Credit Union since the day I as born (thank you Dad).  You hand them your membership book, they print in the book your transaction and hand the book back to you. 

Then they too went "paperless".  You punch your account number into the key pad and they print a receipt of your transaction to hand back to you.  :wacko:

13 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

She’s worked at the bank for 25 years or so, as long as I’ve been banking there but I do wonder how someone who doesn’t know me would know how to find the account information. I don’t even present ID when I go there. 

My grandma worked as a teller for a number of years, about 15 years after she left that job, she ran into one of the people she used to have come into the bank regularly and she says the first thing that popped into her brain was his account number... 

16 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

Are you serious?

Well, that's what they think anyway.

1 minute ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

My bank has only required ID and debit card for most deposits for a long  while now. Since way before CoVid. 

But would they refuse to accept a deposit slip?

Both banks I use here in Canada: (Bank of Montreal or BMO and Scotia Bank) have not used deposit slips for many years.

We have a card we swipe and enter a PIN number to handle our transactions with a teller and a modified method using the teller machines.

We too get a transaction slip back.

1 hour ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

But would they refuse to accept a deposit slip?

Good question. My wife said they will take it but tell her they don’t need it. 

My bank accepts my deposit slips. They also have a saddle in their lobby, and some Remington sculptures. 

I like the bank, but if they fiddle with me, too much, I will move my piggy bank elsewhere. 

I am their customer, and I expect them to make things better/easier, for me, not the other way around.

If they tell me something is "so much better"...then red flags go up. That usually means it is so much better for them, not necessarily better for me.

I still have a mattress, and box springs, and I can still stick my money there, as difficult as that might be.

Banks, like insurance companies, are looking out for themselves, not necessarily you.  

My Two Bits.

W.K.

20 hours ago, Chantry said:

Do you have any idea how badly I hate that?  It rates right up there with "it's Corporate policy", and "the warehouse says they can't get it".  Or "we don't have any control over that.  You'll have to talk to the vendor".

I'm really sick of no one anywhere taking responsibilty for anydamnthing.

24 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Do you have any idea how badly I hate that?  It rates right up there with "it's Corporate policy", and "the warehouse says they can't get it".  Or "we don't have any control over that.  You'll have to talk to the vendor".

I'm really sick of no one anywhere taking responsibilty for anydamnthing.

Shrug, I don't make the rules or necessarily like them.      Common sense, facts and logic don't much matter anymore and no one wants to risk a lawsuit even if they will probably win.

Customer service (already on shaky legs) was among the earliest casualties of the wu-flu.  I still base my opinion (as the customer) on how I am treated by the businesses I frequent.  And I have a long memory.

ML

I make all my check deposits by taking a picture of the check on my phone with the USAA app.  I tell them how much the check was for and what account to put it in.  It's instantly deposited into my account.  Been working for the past 2 years and saves me a trip to the bank.  I actually closed the checking account at the local bank when they got bought out and the new bank was going to charge me for checking.  

Archived