SASS Wire Forum

WTB Ruger Single Six grips.

Taos

Buckaroo grandson is a little guy.  He shoots Ruger Single Six .32's.  He is a small guy with small hands.  He needs thin grips and the grips on his guns are real elk horn and I do not want to sand them down.

We thought Wrangler grips would work, but they will not :-{  not the same, won't fit.

So I'm looking for any Single Six grips I can sand down to make them thinner.

Thanks,

Taos and Luke

Taos,

I don't have any extra grips at this time, but I thought I would tell you how I modified some Ruger grips in the past.  I took two sets of Old Vaquero grips to a buddy's house who was a expert wood worker.  I asked him to cut off a portion of the outside of each grip on his fancy table saw.  He did a good job and all four grips were pretty equal.  I took them home and went to work with sand paper.  When I got the shape I wanted, I stained the grips and applied rub on poly urethane by Minwax.  They came out great and really gave me a better grip for shooting duelist.   Unfortunately I sold them with a set of ROAs.  I'm about to do another set for a blackhawk I just picked up.  Good luck!

Buckeye Pete

Updated again,   I’m sending the scales to Taos, and he’ll work some fitting and filing magic on them.   Glad to help out.  It sounds like a fun project and the price is right if it goes sideways.... 

EB97CEF0-764A-41A7-9AE2-2C507145185A.jpeg

There is more than one Single Six grip size.

Take a look at the two pictures included. Longer grip frame has significantly more metal at the bottom.  

In the picture of the shorter grip frame, you can see a spacer added to the bottom of a longer grip making a short grip frame gun look and feel like a long frame one. You can also shorten a longer grip by cutting the bottom off to make it fit  a short grip frame.  

(wouldn't want to try and say all that real fast)

OO

Single Six 32 Grip Frame  long.jpg

Single Six 32 Shoert Grip Spacer side.jpg

Taos, many of the 32 cal single sixes have the short grip frame.  It took me awhile to get a set for my sons pair.  

While they may not have any in stock right now Altamont makes good thin grips as does Eagle.  I think they both offer the shorter grips for the 32s.  

Standard Blackhawk grips would not fit our 32’s.  

Thanks everyone.  I didn't realize it was going to be kinda tough to find grips!   Seems the pistols are short grip guns.  First year run of the New Single Six.  Wrangler grips are too long.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Happy to help. I went through the business of trying to figure out which was which. It got a lot easier when I got one of each. 

Good luck finding the grips you are looking for.  Maybe take a look at ebay  for older walnut grips which you can shape as you wish. 

Thats what I did for the walnut one  in the picture.  

OO

Archived