SASS Wire Forum

The farmer...

I see a lot of folks on Facebook and MeWe CAS pages, and even here from time to time, talk about getting a new gun and driving out to their farm to shoot it... 

... these are people who often say they saved for weeks, or sold something else to buy their new Uberti/Pietta/whatever, and yet have a farm or ranch some distance from where they live... that they don't live on... and apparently pay someone else to tend the stock or work the ground, maintain the equipment, tend to the fencing, spray the weeds, and haul animals to market or grain to the railroad siding... 

Around here, I've never heard of anyone short of Ted Turner who could afford to do that. :mellow:

Who are these people in real life?

I've got a cousin who runs a sizable farm/ranch operation here totaling several thousand acres, and he works pretty much from dawn to dusk, 363 days a year - he takes his birthday and opening day of hunting season off.

When I tell my family or friends I'm going to the farm, I'm going to my cabin which used to be my great grandparents farm. It's sand, pines, and poverty. I asked my grandpa what they ever got to grow there. He said " Well........ We only ever had two successful crops........ Rocks and heartache." 

My 40 acres of heaven. The 'farm' was 160 acres.

IMG_20191027_155751283.jpg

Archived