SASS Wire Forum

Something I Learned From Our New Car

Subdeacon Joe

A something known as Helmholtz Resonance .   When I opened the right rear window I started hearing a thutter and felt a throbbing,  along with uncomfortable pressure on my ears.

The thutter put me in mind of the UH-1s flying out of Camp Pendleton I heard as a kid .   I  thought that it might be a Tyre problem but they all looked good. 

Found out it is a common problem with aerodynamic cars.  If you open just one window it ends up working like blowing across top of a pop bottle. 

22 minutes ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

A something known as Helmholtz Resonance .   When I opened the right rear window I started hearing a thutter and felt a throbbing,  along with uncomfortable pressure on my ears.

The thutter put me in mind of the UH-1s flying out of Camp Pendleton I heard as a kid .   I  thought that it might be a Tyre problem but they all looked good. 

Found out it is a common problem with aerodynamic cars.  If you open just one window it ends up working like blowing across top of a pop bottle. 

Yep my 2017 Buick Encore dies the same thing, annoying isn’t it?

That is the exact reason I purchased a car with a moon roof.  If I ever need to vent the hot air out of the car while the AC is doing it's best to cool it, I crack the moon roof and continue on my journey.  I can't drive with the rear windows partially open as I used to because of that resonance. 

Thanks for putting a name to it.

I heard that just a little crack you'd become oblivious to any sound! :huh::P

44 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

BTW,

If you crack a window on each side it stops.

Well, attenuates at least.   We will have to play with what windows to open how much.

We did notice that when our toy poodle had her head out the window the sound went away.

Does it with the crew cab F150 and the wife's Ford Escape. The Escape is the worst I've ever experienced with any of our previous cars.

Jeep Wrangler, no top, no fluttering.

Might be cooler or warmer than you want, but no fluttering.

Unless your sea tbelt is whop whop whopping against the front seat...

Yeah, the Outback does it but I think the Forester did it worse. But as mentioned, I just open the front window on the opposite side.

Joe,

When I started reading your post I thought to myself, "Nothing unusual for auto exhaust system to include a helmholtz resonator".

They are very common on diesel & gas engine powered gensets to reduce the 1st order frequency noise.

7 minutes ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

be careful or the toy poodle will go away too 

I had it only about half way down. She could get her head out to sniff and look around,  but that is it.  Too slick for her to climb higher. 

We folded the 40% side of the back seat down and put her bed on it so I don't have to roll down the window all the way .  When she stands on that she's fine.   Lisa likes it because April doesn't want to stand on her lap or,  ah, chest to get her face to the wind.

8 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Yep my 2017 Buick Encore dies the same thing, annoying isn’t it?

Both of my Impalas, a 2006 and a 2019 ( I still have it) did that if I drove with the right front side window open and exceeded 40mph.

The '19 model has a lot more annoying things, like stupid messages popping up on the center screen at inconvenient times.

12 hours ago, Raylan said:

Well, remember the old vent windows, gave ya more options.

330px-1965_AMC_Ambassador_detail_of_vent_window.jpg

I miss these. My 93 Ford F-150 was the last vehicle I owned that had vent windows. 

17 hours ago, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

Our Kia Souls do the same thing. Usually just lower a rear window a bit with a front down and it stops. Does feel weirdly annoying until you do the correction:rolleyes::lol::blush:

What is this 'rear window' thing??;)

Yeah, my Camaro does this really bad!  Particularly on those 'rare' occasions when I'm driving fast. 

Our Honda CRV does it too. Most annoying in the winter when you want to crack the window for the dog. Opening another does help a lot, but much more cold breeze for us! I bet we pay extra for it too.

Archived