SASS Wire Forum

Red dot help requested

Trigger Mike

I always hated the idea of a red dot since batteries die at the least opportune moment.  I recently picked up a sig with the red dot and the red dot was clear and you could use the normal sights if need be.  

I found a  s and w m and p that is optics ready.  I want a red dot that has the groove to still use the sights, what else do.i look for?

You may need to put “suppressor” sights on that M&P. Not sure but I seem to recall hearing that at my LGS. 

They are extra tall iron sights so you can look through the optic sight if need be. 

My M&P Core has a JPoint for it. The JPoint has a built-in notch and the sights co-witness ...

I don't really use the JPoint that much anymore as I can shoot regular steel/USPSA targets faster w/ regular sights.

However ...  you can hit anything you want w/ the dot on ... very easy to shoot. It fits in a regular kydex holster ... no interference. 

I snap a cover on it w/ it is not in use and it goes to sleep. 

The JPoint I have is the same as the one described in this Glock MOS article .. (dot inside of a circle) ... 

https://calibremag.ca/glock-g34-mos-review/

mpcorejpoint.jpg.eaeabd32d086e5f08ed8185dcc9e161e.jpg

Glock 43x MOS - get flush fit 15 round Shield Arms to replace factory 10 round mags with metal replacement mag catch

CHPWS adapter plate for Holosun 507 k x2

Holosun 507 k x2 red dot - dot or circle or circle dot - side changing battery so no need to take off then remount for battery change - battery life 50,000 hrs or 5 years (just change it yearly) - shake awake so it's always on when you need it but if you set it down for the night it's off - laminated glass lens encased in aluminum so it can take hard use.

Ameriglo night sights - supressor height - GL-411 - give co-witness with green tritium front sight and blacked out rear sight.

45 minutes ago, Trigger Mike said:

I went to their web site and they are out of stock.   I found the one with 8MOA as it says it is for folks with bad eyesight.  

Well .. I don't know what is out there these days ... It looks like the dot/circle might be going away .. the 4/8 moa will stay (branded JPoint anyhow). 

However .. I found a few dot/circle versions in stock at Midway (as described in my post) ... these must have been newer and are branded "Shield Sights" (as mentioned in the Glock MOS article). It appears they are going to continue in a 1/4/8 moa version at least. 

They claim they have 4 circle/dot versions left ...

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022805636?pid=857717

These guys claim they have them in stock too ...

https://www.medanvision.com/list-product/red-dog-sights/jp-enterprises-red-dog-sights/jp-enterprises-jpoint-circle-dot-micro-electronic-reflex-sight-detail

You might also visit the Brian Enos site and see what's hot these days in the "Carry Optics" division ... and in the S&W M&P thread ... if you want some other ideas.

People there aren't shy talking about what they like ... s2.gif.2a9e05bb425ed86e700ae42add9edc32.gif

https://forums.brianenos.com/index.php?

I also like the Holosun brand.   I think my model is the 510.  It uses battery AND solar.

The solar panel is built into the top of the frame, out of sight and unnoticeable.

These come with a Red or Green dot models.

I also have and use a SIG Romeo.  Its also a good, reliable dot.

BOTH the Holosun and Sig Romeo or 'motion' on.   Ya lay it down for a couple minutes

and it automatically goes off.   You pick it up to use and its automatically on at the bright

setting you prefer.

..........Widder

On 3/28/2021 at 1:32 PM, Trigger Mike said:

I always hated the idea of a red dot since batteries die at the least opportune moment.  I recently picked up a sig with the red dot and the red dot was clear and you could use the normal sights if need be.  

I found a  s and w m and p that is optics ready.  I want a red dot that has the groove to still use the sights, what else do.i look for?

I've just added a SwampFox red dot to my Glock G43, as my eye's are getting older along with the rest of me.  The Swampfox uses the same footprint as the

Shield MRSc so it fits the slim slide of the G43/43x/48 without overhand.  It's battery rated at 2 years, so I'll be switching battery annually at Christmas.  I opted for the always on self adjusting version.

I'm not sure I like the co-witness bit, as it clutters the view.  I do want to see the sights, but 1/3 co-witness seems more like the sweet spot for me.

If it all goes pear shaped and the sight fails, I'll do what I can with the sights and deal with it, but while it is working I like the improved accuracy I get from the optic.

SC

2 hours ago, ShadowCatcher said:

I've just added a SwampFox red dot to my Glock G43, as my eye's are getting older along with the rest of me.  The Swampfox uses the same footprint as the

Shield MRSc so it fits the slim slide of the G43/43x/48 without overhand.  It's battery rated at 2 years, so I'll be switching battery annually at Christmas.  I opted for the always on self adjusting version.

I'm not sure I like the co-witness bit, as it clutters the view.  I do want to see the sights, but 1/3 co-witness seems more like the sweet spot for me.

If it all goes pear shaped and the sight fails, I'll do what I can with the sights and deal with it, but while it is working I like the improved accuracy I get from the optic.

SC

I'm with you on the 1/3 co-witness unless the weapon can accommodate flip-up sights.  I have a 9mm AR pistol with flip-ups that I have setup co-witness.  Works great. 

Archived