Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Problem shooting CCI #11 caps


Recommended Posts

I tried shooting CCI #11 caps yesterday with poor results. I have always used Remington  #10 caps on my tuned revolvers with no issues. I had some old CCI’s #11 that I use for my TC Renegade so tried them on my revolvers. I have the slixshot nipples and they advertise that CCI #11 work fine. The problem was not firing on the first hit but on the second hit on most of the cylinders. I put some REM #10 and they all fired the first hit. Are the CCI caps harder or should I try new production CCI caps. The other problem was four out of the five fired caps fell into my palm on rotation. I have cap rakes and have not had the REM hit my palm that often . Thanks for any input. DC

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was having the same problem at Ides.  It was very frustrating, to have to go through the cylinder twice.  Before Ides I wasn’t having any problems with CCI #11’s and Slixx nipples, but someone said to check to see if the nipples might have mushroomed a little making the caps sit a little deeper.  Not sure if that’s something or not, when I get home I’ll try another set of nipples and see if changes.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've heard that the older cci #11's are different from the current production. If Tequila Shooter is using new production caps us frontiersman are in a world of hurt. I don't expect to ever see Remington #10's again. Maybe Slixshot will re-engineer their nipples??

 

The other alternative is RWS but I've never heard of anyone that has used them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hogleg Hunter said:

...

The other alternative is RWS but I've never heard of anyone that has used them. 

I've used them exclusively from around 1986 to just last year.  They were always reliable.  Some consider them hotter than both CCI or Remington.  Unfortunately, I stopped using them because I could get a 1k of caps for about half the price of RWS.  

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Clueless Bob said:

I've used them exclusively from around 1986 to just last year.  They were always reliable.  Some consider them hotter than both CCI or Remington.  Unfortunately, I stopped using them because I could get a 1k of caps for about half the price of RWS.  

 

 

What nipples were you using?  Right now reliability is more important than price to me. I've seen RWS caps cheaper than Rem #10's with the scalpers prices. Last Rem's I found were $18/100 plus shipping and hazard fee!!!  That's over $200 per thousand.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hogleg Hunter said:

I've heard that the older cci #11's are different from the current production. If Tequila Shooter is using new production caps us frontiersman are in a world of hurt. I don't expect to ever see Remington #10's again. Maybe Slixshot will re-engineer their nipples??

 

The other alternative is RWS but I've never heard of anyone that has used them. 

I picked up a tin of newer production CCI’s and see if there is a difference. Thanks, DC

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

I was having the same problem at Ides.  It was very frustrating, to have to go through the cylinder twice.  Before Ides I wasn’t having any problems with CCI #11’s and Slixx nipples, but someone said to check to see if the nipples might have mushroomed a little making the caps sit a little deeper.  Not sure if that’s something or not, when I get home I’ll try another set of nipples and see if changes.

I hope that helps because it looks like we are stuck with CCI’s to shoot Frontiersman. DC

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

well i have shot two matches with the new cci 11s and have had good results with slix nipples , i did have to fire up my lathe you know a drill and a file ha ha because my nipples was a little mushroomed , So i guess make sure they seat good with a very slight push with the capper , no i dont push on with a stick ..... good luck !!! BURN THROUGH    ps i do love the remington tens but i found a few cci 11 s that a cowboy was nice enough to pick up for me and yes the are hotter i shoot a dipped 21 grains of FFF goex and the recoil is noticeably more ????

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Diamond Curly SASS#57086 I’m using new #11’s.  Here’s what I’ve found out so far: REM #10 and CCI #11 break apart different.  Shooting 1858 NMA’s after firing the CCI’s are more likely to fall onto my right hand, the ones that don’t fall off seem to be pushed down between the nipple and one side of the chamber wall.  When I shoot the REM #10’s very rarely land on my hand, and they seem to flatten on the top of the nipple.

Up until this latest match I wasn’t having any problems with the Slixx/CCI combination so it’s got me wondering why or what changed.  The problem at Ides was noticeably worse the second day than the first.

Hopefully someone with more experience will be able to offer some thoughts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

@Diamond Curly SASS#57086 I’m using new #11’s.  Here’s what I’ve found out so far: REM #10 and CCI #11 break apart different.  Shooting 1858 NMA’s after firing the CCI’s are more likely to fall onto my right hand, the ones that don’t fall off seem to be pushed down between the nipple and one side of the chamber wall.  When I shoot the REM #10’s very rarely land on my hand, and they seem to flatten on the top of the nipple.

Up until this latest match I wasn’t having any problems with the Slixx/CCI combination so it’s got me wondering why or what changed.  The problem at Ides was noticeably worse the second day than the first.

Hopefully someone with more experience will be able to offer some thoughts.

That is what I went through during my twelve stages. I thought maybe the main spring was causing the issue but when I switched back to REM 10’s no more dropped caps in my hand and no misfires. I was hoping it would be the nipples but not convinced yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hogleg Hunter said:

 

 

What nipples were you using?  Right now reliability is more important than price to me. I've seen RWS caps cheaper than Rem #10's with the scalpers prices. Last Rem's I found were $18/100 plus shipping and hazard fee!!!  That's over $200 per thousand.

I'm using what came on my Ruger Old Armies.  They appear to be Slix nipples.  One set was rough to cap, but noticed the tips were mushroomed slightly.  Chucked in a drill and lightly filed them.  Haven't had an issue since. 

 

I haven't seen anything near what your seeing in prices.  The last couple times I bought some(earlier this month), they were still under $6.00 each(Good Sam's discount price.  Normal, under $7.00) at Gander Outdoor.  Before I forget, I'm using Remington #11 caps, and have not had any issues/misfires.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I shot my C&B Piettas last weekend and had only one failure to fire. My thumb slipped off the hammer. I was using CCI # 11 caps that I purchased in 1999 in Houlton ME, they worked fine. My revolvers were tuned by Dragoon gunworks. I have 8 cylinders and some of them take CCI # 10 caps. I fired 60 rounds and the only misfire was my own fault. Anytime I get a misfire and it fires the second time it is usually a failure on my part to seat the cap properly. Forgot to mention two of the cylinders had been loaded a year and a half ago and and discharged just fine.

kR

PS I wear a glove on my right hand to avoid cap burns.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/28/2021 at 8:10 PM, Kid Rich said:

I shot my C&B Piettas last weekend and had only one failure to fire. My thumb slipped off the hammer. I was using CCI # 11 caps that I purchased in 1999 in Houlton ME, they worked fine. My revolvers were tuned by Dragoon gunworks. I have 8 cylinders and some of them take CCI # 10 caps. I fired 60 rounds and the only misfire was my own fault. Anytime I get a misfire and it fires the second time it is usually a failure on my part to seat the cap properly. Forgot to mention two of the cylinders had been loaded a year and a half ago and and discharged just fine.

kR

PS I wear a glove on my right hand to avoid cap burns.

Thanks for your reply. I do set my caps but when I shot the REM 10’s at the same match everything worked just fine. When I shot the CCI’s is when everything went wrong. My guns were tuned by Goons Gun Works about five years ago and I have never has these issues until I switched to the CCI caps which is why I was wondering if maybe there are just harder and that may have been the problems. I am going to put in a new set of slixshot nipples this week and try the CCI’s again and hope that is the problem. I have been shooting C&B for over fifteen years and it does not make sense to  me why all the problems. I will also change out the main springs as well just to try that as well. I never shot CCI’s in anything but  my front stuffers so never tried them on my revolvers because REM 10’s always worked just fine. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Diamond Curly SASS#57086 said:

Thanks for your reply. I do set my caps but when I shot the REM 10’s at the same match everything worked just fine. When I shot the CCI’s is when everything went wrong. My guns were tuned by Goons Gun Works about five years ago and I have never has these issues until I switched to the CCI caps which is why I was wondering if maybe there are just harder and that may have been the problems. I am going to put in a new set of slixshot nipples this week and try the CCI’s again and hope that is the problem. I have been shooting C&B for over fifteen years and it does not make sense to  me why all the problems. I will also change out the main springs as well just to try that as well. I never shot CCI’s in anything but  my front stuffers so never tried them on my revolvers because REM 10’s always worked just fine. 

 

You might have something there with the spring.  You just reminded me that Mike told me if I started having problems with the caps to tighten up the hammer spring a little.  Isn’t it strange that we’ve got the same issue at the same time?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I do have to clean the sides of the hammers as they will get fouling on them quickly. If there is any resistance to the hammer fall it can have a negative effect. on ignition of the caps. One of my revolvers has engraving on the sides of the hammer and it will foul the quickest.

 I don't have Slix nipples on my revolvers but Shirttail has them on hers and she uses Rem 10's.

kR

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Diamond Curly SASS#57086 said:

 My guns were tuned by Goons Gun Works about five years ago and I have never has these issues until I switched to the CCI caps which is why I was wondering if maybe there are just harder and that may have been the problems.

 

Mike may have some insight into your experience since he set your guns up.  If you have not already consulted him, I would.

 

I'm using Treso nipples on my Old Armies and CCI 11s ignite as reliably as Remington 10s.  You might try some new nipples other than Slix.

 

There is probably some slight difference in sensitivity of the priming compound between CCI and Remington.  Your springs may have found that magical spot between the two.  I would revert to factory springs as an experiment to see if it makes a difference in ignition.  I am currently running Wolff 19# springs in mine.

 

edit: additional thought—

 

How much a cap fragments is determined by the strength of the cup.  Again, probably an inherent difference between the cup metals of the two brands.

Edited by J-BAR #18287
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

 

Mike may have some insight into your experience since he set your guns up.  If you have not already consulted him, I would.

 

I'm using Treso nipples on my Old Armies and CCI 11s ignite as reliably as Remington 10s.  You might try some new nipples other than Slix.

 

There is probably some slight difference in sensitivity of the priming compound between CCI and Remington.  Your springs may have found that magical spot between the two.  I would revert to factory springs as an experiment to see if it makes a difference in ignition.  I am currently running Wolff 19# springs in mine.

 

edit: additional thought—

 

How much a cap fragments is determined by the strength of the cup.  Again, probably an inherent difference between the cup metals of the two brands.

Thanks. For your information. I was going to remove the slix-shot nipples and use the stainless steel nipples I had for another revolver too see what happens. I had put the other nipples in the slixshot packaging and noticed that it states on the package to use Remington #10 only for the slixsix nipples. I don’t remember reading that statement when I bought them. I had send an email to slixshot last week and they told me CCI 11’s would work just fine. Snow here today so will go to the range tomorrow and hope for the best. I still have the original springs that I will try as well. DC

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Diamond Curly SASS#57086 said:

Snow here today so will go to the range tomorrow and hope for the best. I still have the original springs that I will try as well. DC

 

Snow :huh:  :wacko: ??? That’s a 4 letter word this time of year :wacko:  Hate to tell you pard but it’s in the mid 80’s here :P ;) :ph34r:

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I went to the range and had installed my stainless steel nipples from Track of the Wolf and it seemed to help. Still had a couple of FTF but can live with that. I also am going to install some Treso nipples I have and see how they work because their ad says they are for CCI #11 caps. It sure was promising after such a bad weekend.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the Slix Shot nipples on my ROA's and with Rem #10 no issues...I tried CCI #11 not such good results. Tried with the stock nipples same thing. I do have a limited amount of Remington #10 so am going to use them sparingly and likely shoot some cartridge guns a bit more than I would like. But I think I do have some Treso nipples and will try them if they fit my ROA's.

Sometimes its just not so easy to have fun.

 

Hochbauer

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I went to the LGS today and they are out of Remi 10's.

 

They rang the stockist and were told one to two years before they expect them back in Australia:(

 

Time to do the ring around and get what I can.

 

I do have 10 tins in the reserve bin.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/1/2021 at 6:06 PM, Diamond Curly SASS#57086 said:

I went to the range and had installed my stainless steel nipples from Track of the Wolf and it seemed to help. Still had a couple of FTF but can live with that. I also am going to install some Treso nipples I have and see how they work because their ad says they are for CCI #11 caps. It sure was promising after such a bad weekend.

 

Hope you’re onto something with the nipple change.  I went through my problem child this week, it looked like it was functioning right.  Took the grips off, checked the main spring, looked ok too.  When I put back together I tighten the main spring screw ½ a turn, hopeful that it’ll fix the light cap strike.  I’m keeping with the Slixx nipples for the next match (local) this weekend and hope I’ve got the train back on the track.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Major Crimes said:

I went to the LGS today and they are out of Remi 10's.

 

They rang the stockist and were told one to two years before they expect them back in Australia:(

 

Time to do the ring around and get what I can.

 

I do have 10 tins in the reserve bin.

I opened a ammo can Saturday and found a total of 1400 caps with these three brands. I tried some Remington #11 and they did not work well at all. Good luck on finding some Remington 10’s. 

9AC00626-2448-49DD-8454-95D0DC8FB87B.jpeg

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

A few weeks ago I tried some new CCI#11 caps on my 1858 Sheriff's with stock nipples. I had shot one of the pistols with old #11 caps a friend loaned me and had NO problems. This time the caps were falling off the nipples as I was rotating the cylinder to cap the next one. I was pushing them on with a stick too. Cut that practice short. Went home and installed slixshot nipples but haven't tried them yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Diamond Curly SASS#57086 said:

I opened a ammo can Saturday and found a total of 1400 caps with these three brands. I tried some Remington #11 and they did not work well at all. Good luck on finding some Remington 10’s. 

9AC00626-2448-49DD-8454-95D0DC8FB87B.jpeg

 

The pink ones look purty.

 

I just did a ring around of the 5 GS I know of in Sydney and bought the last 5 tins of Remi #10's I could find.

 

I will do some Googling and see if I can find some more. tomorrow and I have PM'd the Queenslanders I know to see if there is any up there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Major Crimes said:

 

The pink ones look purty.

 

I just did a ring around of the 5 GS I know of in Sydney and bought the last 5 tins of Remi #10's I could find.

 

I will do some Googling and see if I can find some more. tomorrow and I have PM'd the Queenslanders I know to see if there is any up there.

OOPPS

 

I just did a count and with the 5 I bought today I have 35 tins:blush:

 

I am a one man shortage creator. I will slow down and leave some out there for everyone else.

 

Thanks to those who contacted me, I should have done the count first:rolleyes: 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.