SASS Wire Forum

Be Careful In Those Pretty Fields

Subdeacon Joe

Is that courting display?  The two snakes did not appear to be fighting but I’ve never seen that behavior before.  I have walked among bluebonnets, never again!

10 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Is that courting display?  The two snakes did not appear to be fighting but I’ve never seen that behavior before.  I have walked among bluebonnets, never again!

Good question.  I have no idea.  I've watched quite a few labeled either fighting or courting and in most it was unclear which it was.

Labeled as fighing:

This is courting:

Nice of them to show themselves that way. :)

Y’all will be happy to know that during their mating season Rattlesnakes may or may not rattle when threatened and can be a more aggressive. 
I learned this from a guy in Texas that made part of his living doing rattlesnake shows when I was a kid. 

Labor Day, 1991, my Lab and I were hunting dove near Dawn, Texas.  As we walked out of the field I heard a buzz that did not sound like the grasshoppers thaatw ere sounding off around us.  I looked to my left and about a foot away from my lab was the head of a diamondback sticking out of the weeds.  I stuck the barrel of my shotgun over her back and the snake looked down the bore.  It expired.  I think that was the day that I decided we were bagging about as many rattlers as we were doves, and quit hunting there. It just wasn't worth losing my dog.

Duffield

When I was in 6th grade we lived in Carlsbad New Mexico. There were rattlesnakes everywhere it seemed. I really have never been afraid of snakes, but I definitely respect the poisonous ones and steer clear. Except for Water Moccasins. I will go out of my way to kill them. 
There was an old radio station at the edge of town that must have been a rattlesnake breeding ground. If you tossed rocks into the bushes it was like an orchestra of rattlesnakes. 
I liked trying to catch snakes there. I would catch them and let them go. 
I told my Dad about this place and how I thought we could make money catching rattlesnakes and selling them to people that made things from their skins and perhaps his buddy, the rattlesnake showman might want some. 
I think my Dad thought I was exaggerating about the snakes there. He drove over there one day when me and my brother were over there on our bikes. 
I was so excited that my Dad showed up. I wanted to impress him with the number of snakes that were there and tossed a handful of rocks into the bushes. It kicked off the orchestra and my Dad turned white and yelled at us to get our bikes and get home. He jumped in the car and tore out of there in a flash. When we got home my Dad beat our butts and forbade us from every going there again. 
What he didn’t know never hurt him. :lol: I went there often until we moved. 

I've had enough "buzzworm" encounters to last me a lifetime ~ but I suspect I may not be done.

About... oh... I dunno, maybe 20 years ago, I showed up one morning for a shoot with the Kings River Regulators.  I'd already dumped off my cart and gear, and was walking back from the parking area when I spotted ol' Beanpot (RIP) up ahead about forty yards.  I called and waved to him, he turned and smiled then grinned as I closed the distance.  

"Damn, Hardpan!  That was the coolest thing I ever did see!" he said.

"Huh?  Whazzat?"

"Why... the way you just stepped right over that rattlesnake and it didn't even ruffle your feathers none!"

I turned and looked, and sure 'nuff, there were two cowboys beating the thing to a pulp with sticks.

Natcherly, I just smiled and didn't let on that I never even saw the booger.

Watch where you step!!  Actually, look ahead before you step!     clip art rattle snake - Clip Art Library

8 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Nice of them to show themselves that way. :)

Y’all will be happy to know that during their mating season Rattlesnakes may or may not rattle when threatened and can be a more aggressive. 
I learned this from a guy in Texas that made part of his living doing rattlesnake shows when I was a kid. 

Lived all my life in rattler country, many encounters. By and large it's been my experience that they usually rattle after they're already mad or disturbed.

JHC

Had my close encounters with the Eastern Copperhead, growing up in Ohio's Appalachian hill country.
Mama warned us about Timber Rattlers but never saw one in the wild.
I doubt me not they are there.

Mama was seldom if ever wrong on such matters!

There's a virtual S&W .38 on top of the virtual fridge loaded with shot shells in case of unwanted buzzers in the yard.

When I retired from the military 34 years ago, we settled on 47 acres 5 miles from town, and during that period I saw one garter snake (harmless critters) and that was 5 years ago.

My son's in laws farmed in southern Saskatchewan and was a haven for those harmless garter snakes.  He just hated snakes period and had a 410 shotgun mounted on his sit down lawnmower when cutting the grass.  

On 3/28/2021 at 11:58 AM, Subdeacon Joe said:

Good question.  I have no idea.  I've watched quite a few labeled either fighting or courting and in most it was unclear which it was.

Labeled as fighing:

This is courting:

Me and the boys can fix those things.

50cal.gif

ar15.gif

shotgun.gif

sniper.gif

Only seen 3 snakes here in 15 years.  2 Pygmy rattler and 2 coachwhips. The rattler was in the road, flat.

19 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Only seen 3 snakes here in 15 years.  2 Pygmy rattler and 2 coachwhips. The rattler was in the road, flat.

I never have seen ANY snake at the mountain home...hope I never will.

Of course we have the bear and lion to watch for.

It is warming here in the high dessert (did I spell that correctly?) and it is time to start watching/listening for those rattlers on the move.

If I hear the dog barking...I go out with a shotgun and a long shovel.

Size of the slitherer determines the tool used!

Archived