SASS Wire Forum

WTB Ruger Old Army 5.5 inch Loading Lever

1 minute ago, T-Square said:

yeah, but it comes with a $3,000 pistol ! 

LOL

ROA 5SS.jpg

Lol. Actually broke the lever today. Pretty  sure I can have it repaired, but looking for one to get me by until then. 

I've seen some after market levers, but I don't remember the websites.  I remember thinking how great there were - but I decided to load on the loading stand..

This is Captain Baylor's step-up.

IMG_0193.JPG

47 minutes ago, T-Square said:

I've seen some after market levers, but I don't remember the websites.  I remember thinking how great there were - but I decided to load on the loading stand..

This is Captain Baylor's step-up.

IMG_0193.JPG

Thanks for the pic. I really like that setup. Going to have to do something similar I guess. I was using the slix lever extension that I'd been using for a year now, but I hurried and  didn't get it all the way forward and it bent the tip & broke the screw. Nothing but user error. 

I may have one of those. I’ll look in the morning.

The ones that I have are for 7 1/2” barrels.

Just now, Boolit Boomer said:

Thanks for looking. I'm hopeful one will turn up somewhere with someone. 

I’ve been told but I don’t  know that the long ones can be converted to use with the 5.5”  barrels,  Prairie Dawg may know about that.

43 minutes ago, Boolit Boomer said:

I was able to pick up a blued loading lever. It's functional now, but I'd really like to get away from the two tone look. Still  looking  for a 5.5" SS loading lever. Thanks, Boomer 

20210405_211802.jpg

That lever would make a good candidate for a NP3 finish, they are light gray and self lubricate, extremely corrosion resistant too!

15 minutes ago, DeaconKC said:

That lever would make a good candidate for a NP3 finish, they are light gray and self lubricate, extremely corrosion resistant too!

That's an idea. I've seen several with the NP3 on the internals. Would definitely look better than blued.

Rats, I have four but every one is for a 7 1/2".

I was looking at your photo again.  Is it just the screw that has broken off?  If so it is a pretty simple job to put it into a milling machine or a good bench drill press with an adjustable vise and drill a pilot hole and then use an EZ out to get out the stub.  Then all you need is a screw.

48 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Rats, I have four but every one is for a 7 1/2".

I was looking at your photo again.  Is it just the screw that has broken off?  If so it is a pretty simple job to put it into a milling machine or a good bench drill press with an adjustable vise and drill a pilot hole and then use an EZ out to get out the stub.  Then all you need is a screw.

You are correct, and since the photo was taken I've been able to remove the broken screw and seen where I can order one from numrich. The problem i have now is the cup that the plunger slides over is stretched and deformed. The plunger will not slide over the cup. If I filed it down, I'm thinking it would be to thin. Any ideas on having that cup reshaped. Thanks, Boomer 

What you are saying does not make sense to me.  If you have some photos showing what you are talking about (or at least identifying what you are calling a plunger and what you are calling a cup) I will try to give you a fix.

1 hour ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

What you are saying does not make sense to me.  If you have some photos showing what you are talking about (or at least identifying what you are calling a plunger and what you are calling a cup) I will try to give you a fix.

My terms might not be correct.. What i am calling the cup is the hollow tip of the lever that the bolt screws into. The plunger is the spring loaded part that slides over the cup when you pull back on it to release the lever from its locked position.

20210406_022413.jpg

6 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Is the plunger deformed?  Let me know and I'll think about the problem a bit.

The plunger has no damage. Only the cup is deformed. The threads inside the cup are recessed about 3/16 inch. The screw broke inside the cup where the threads begin, which allowed it enough leverage to stretch and bend the lip of the cup. The lip of the cup serves as the base for the spring inside the plunger. Hope that makes sense. 

• Boolit Boomer changed the title to WTB Ruger Old Army 5.5 inch Loading Lever

Archived