SASS Wire Forum

Thanks Arkansas Harper! Leather Youth Starter Rig anyone got a Buckaroo who outgrew theirs

Not Dead Ed

Thanks to Arkansas Harper, for helping out a new buckaroo.  
I have a friend who’s son just started shooting with us today, and he had an absolute blast! 
I’m helping his Dad find a reasonably priced used starter rig for a Buckaroo.   
if anyone has one, PM me please and let me know.  
I’ve already sent links to him for Mernickle, and Michigan Rattler.  
thanks all.  

I started my 9yo son back in September and got him a set of Ruger Wranglers. They took a little work but the only $$ outlay was a set of lighter springs, the rest was just polishing. He shoots em great. You can get em for $189 new. I also got him a Henry H001 lever gun for $289 new. Called Henry and they sent me a youth stock for it for free!!  The hardest part was leather and I ended up just making his rig but there are several good pards on here that will make a good set for him reasonably as well.  Whatever you do, keep him interested. Shooting with my boy is the greatest joy of this game. Plus, he’ll be outshooting me soon enough. 

good luck with the hunt!

JJ

6 hours ago, Brass Butch, 70543 said:

What pistols is this young fella shooting?

His got a pair of rough riders that were a safe queen set from another pard’s buckaroo.  

2 hours ago, JJ “Reb” Wainwright 110206 said:

I started my 9yo son back in September and got him a set of Ruger Wranglers. They took a little work but the only $$ outlay was a set of lighter springs, the rest was just polishing. He shoots em great. You can get em for $189 new. I also got him a Henry H001 lever gun for $289 new. Called Henry and they sent me a youth stock for it for free!!  The hardest part was leather and I ended up just making his rig but there are several good pards on here that will make a good set for him reasonably as well.  Whatever you do, keep him interested. Shooting with my boy is the greatest joy of this game. Plus, he’ll be outshooting me soon enough. 

good luck with the hunt!

JJ

Right now he’s borrowing my Henry H01 that I’ve slicked up, and a cut down Norinco 97 that he found was easier for him to operate than my 311.   His hands were too small for manipulating the lever all the way over to break the action open.  He has a complete blast shooting yesterday, and his Dad might decide to join up too.  By the way by about the 4 time running through our practice stages he was shooting near as well as some of the old-timers...   

• Not Dead Ed changed the title to WTB Leather Youth Starter Rig anyone got a Buckaroo who outgrew theirs?
2 hours ago, Arkansas Harper SASS #33169 said:

send me a mailing address.  I will send a rig or two.  

Arkansas Harper  33169

PM sent,  You are the best! 

• Not Dead Ed changed the title to Thanks Arkansas Harper! Leather Youth Starter Rig anyone got a Buckaroo who outgrew theirs

Very proud to say I get to shoot with Arkansas Harper! A real, old fashioned gentleman!

On 3/28/2021 at 4:10 AM, JJ “Reb” Wainwright 110206 said:

good luck with the hunt!

JJ

Two Guns Josh had a great time at the shoot, and we might get his had interested here too.  Josh’s Dad got a set of rough riders from another Pard in our group, and he’s borrowing my H01 and my cut down 97.   His Dad is going to build a cart next.   As budget allows them, they’ll work on more long guns.  
here’s a picture from the shoot.  The Big Guy is Boot Hill Dan who I just got to join, Two Guns Josh is Lower left, and his Dad is far right.   

EEC6A38D-7379-4867-B24D-EA5CE1F8285A.jpeg

On 3/28/2021 at 3:27 AM, Not Dead Ed said:

His got a pair of rough riders that were a safe queen set from another pard’s buckaroo.  

Are they similar in size to the wranglers?

45 minutes ago, Brass Butch, 70543 said:

Are they similar in size to the wranglers?

Pretty close,

Archived