SASS Wire Forum

Reloader shortage???

Hogleg Hunter

I decided to buy a Dillon SDB to feed my increased shooting habit since I retired.  Hit the usual spots - none in stock.  Flea Bay had some but the prices were astronomical.  $700-$1,000 for a $500 reloader.  Used ones at $500 or so.

Finally went to the Dillon website and everything there is on backorder.  They were taking orders though so I went ahead and ordered one.  28 WEEKS for delivery!!!!  That's 7 MONTHS!!!

The sad thing is that it will probably arrive sooner than I find reasonably priced (or any at any price) Remington #10 caps.

Dillon updates this list weekly:

LEAD TIMES FOR COMMON BACKORDERED PRODUCTS

• Square Deal B - 28 weeks
  • RL550C - 3 weeks
  • XL750 - 16 weeks
  • Super1050 - 28 weeks
  • RL1100 - 28 weeks
  • CP2000 - 4 weeks
  • RT1500 Trimmer - 2 weeks
  • Casefeeder - 2 weeks
  • Mr. Bulletfeeder - 2 to 4 weeks
  • Pistol Dies - 28 weeks
  • Steel Rifle Dies - 28 weeks
  • Carbide Rifle Dies - 28 weeks
  • Powder Measures - up to 4 weeks
  • Quick Changes - up to 4 weeks
  • Conversion Kits - up to 8 weeks depending on caliber
  • Super Swage 600 - 2 weeks

Might try doublealpha.biz, they have had Dillon stuff in stock when Dillon was on backorder. Not sure current situation. 

1 hour ago, Hogleg Hunter said:

Gun stop did not have any in .38 special.  Double alpha only had .40's in stock.

https://www.titanreloading.com/dillon-precision-products/dillon-presses/dillon-square-deal-b/dillon-square-deal-b-38-special

Titan is showing them in stock in .38 Special 

7 hours ago, Hogleg Hunter said:

Yeehaw   I ordered one from Titan.  Hopefully it is actually in stock.

Seth, have you ordered online from Titan in the past? Do you know if their online inventory is usually correct?

I actually got an xl750 from them recently when everyone else was showing them out of stock. I’ve found them to be very reliable with fast shipping 

7 hours ago, Hogleg Hunter said:

Yeehaw   I ordered one from Titan.  Hopefully it is actually in stock.

Seth, have you ordered online from Titan in the past? Do you know if their online inventory is usually correct?

Good thing you got it, they’re now out of stock.

RL550C - 3 weeks

One MORE reason to use a 550!   Simple enough that Dillon can make them fast, fast enough to load all the components you can scrounge.

good luck, GJ

9 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

One MORE reason to use a 550!   Simple enough that Dillon can make them fast, fast enough to load all the components you can scrounge.

I agree, but getting dies and caliber conversion kits are a different story, either wait or flea bay at herendous prices^_^

Good luck to all.......

DB:FlagAm:

I was looking at the 550 but I wanted auto indexing. Of course waiting 7 months may have changed that. I could use the dies that I have with the 550 so if I could get the shell plate I would be in business.

99% of what I reload is .38 special. I even shoot .38's in our concealed pistol/home defense matches. I reload some other calibers for the side matches but not in enough quantity to justify the cost/changeover time.  I still use the RCBS Rockchucker that I bought 50 years ago to reload the few rifle rounds that I reload each year. .38 S&W short gets done on a turret press so it goes pretty fast. Basically I needed a dedicated .38 press.

I too use my 550s as dedicated presses.  One .45 cartridge to each.  Did I mention I hate spending my loading time making die/power adjustments?

at horrendous prices

I have broken myself of the bad habit of buying a new gun of a different cartridge than I already shoot during panics.   Or in a newly developed cartridge for the first couple of years.   Eliminates chasing scarce parts around the shooting universe, and saves a ton of money and time.  

good luck, GJ

19 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

I have broken myself of the bad habit of buying a new gun of a different cartridge than I already shoot during panics.   Or in a newly developed cartridge for the first couple of years.   Eliminates chasing scarce parts around the shooting universe, and saves a ton of money and time.  

good luck, GJ

I mainly shoot the same calibers that I did 50 years ago.  9mm, 45acp, 38 special, 30/30 and .308.  Don't see any reason to switch. Added a couple of calibers over the years - 45/70 and .44 mag to name a few. .38 S&W short when I started shooting the pocket pistol side match.  The last several years most of my shooting has been .38 special.

Just ordered a 750 for our annual match from Dillon, was expecting a three month wait, showed up at my door in less than 10 days.

Dillon 550's are available at Scheels in Fargo ND must have been a half dozen as of Friday.  

GPG

Congratulations on your new Square Deal.  I loaded on one for 10 years and ended up selling it for more than I paid for it.  They are a great pistol caliber press.  I eventually upgraded to a couple of 650's but I still have fond memories of that SDB.

Archived