SASS Wire Forum

WANTED! Empty 10g Shotgun shells

Rancho Roy

If you plan to load them with black powder,  don't expect a lot of reloads.  I never found any once fired hulls after a great deal of searching.   I ended up buying new Fiocchi hulls.  None made it past the second firing.  Holes burned through, don't you know.  Maybe some of the other brands will hold up better. 

Not so much of a problem with 12 gauge as they are easy to find and usually free.  I cut, roll crimp, shoot and toss.  

Federal hulls with BP, I get some of them with a burn hole after the 1st firing. Small burn hole, depending on where it’s located, I use anyway.

No, no on roll crimp. Cut down 2-7/8. The mouth gets too deformed, hard to get wads in. I glue an over shot card, just like I do with brass hulls.

12 gauge I’ll roll crimp them, and toss them out.

Uriah

Checked Precision Reloading this AM. 5 listings for 10 gauge, all “Out of Stock.” Same for three listings for 10 gauge at Ballistic Products. I shoot Goex FFFg in all my blackpowder shotshells, reasoning that light smokeless shotshell loads use fast burning powders. Started with Fg and burn throughs were common, even with new hulls. FFFg cuts burn throughs by about 90%. Check your chambers. My early mule-ear Remington comes in at 2 5/8”. Parker is 2 7/8.

One thing I thought about doing with plastic 10 gauge hulls that had burnded through was to dismantle some cheap euro-trash 12 gauge hulls and use the tubes to reline the 10 gauge hulls.  Then load with 12 gauge components.  It looked like it would work but by the time I lucked into a nest of antique brass hulls. 

If you plan to shoot the 10 gauge a lot, I may be more economical to "bite the bullet", as they say, and buy brass.  

5a805dc151d68_10gaugebrasshullsFeb2018.jpg.63e638e39ff37958db82b9565b0b6d6f.jpg

Actually, I had some brass 10g shells and never thought id use them so gave them to a Pardner. Now I have an original 1883 Colt coach gun that is being restocked as we speak. Should be ready in a week or two. I like the idea of the 12g inserts in the 10g hulls. I think I'm going to try this. Or maybe some aluminum or steel inserts glued into the 10g hulls to stop the burn through. Brass shells are big dollars for the quantity we require andbiutbif stock everywhere.

@Rancho Roy here’s a link to a place in Canada.  They have primed and unprimed 10ga and it looks like they’ll ship to the US, the link is to one of the unprimed, once fired hulls they have, but they have others.  Bilozir.  Let us know how it works out.

Yikes! A dollar a piece for once fired 10g shells from Canada. I'm hoping to do better than that considering I might only get a couple loadings out of them. Still looking.

Archived