SASS Wire Forum

Jeez, is everything hard to find?

Go West

A week or so ago I saw some bullets I was interested in online, but didn't act on it. I looked again yesterday and saw they were out of stock as well as about 5 other sites. Some posted some ridiculous waiting times or were simply not taking orders.

Ok, I started looking for melting pots and bullet molds despite not having done that before. I looked at several sites and saw they were sold out, too. I have components to last, but was thinking about the future. Has this drought reached everything and everywhere?

A million new gun owners means no ammo, no ammo means 10s of thousands of new reloaders, new reloaders mean no reloading supplies. It will be many months before the supply chains can possibly catch up. And just like 22LR a while back, when it rebounds prices will not revert to pre-drought levels.

I don't know what business y'all are in, but imagine any manufacturer who, almost overnight, got a million new customers. The challenges of how to respond are enormous. I work for a small company that replaced a machine we manufactured with a new model. We assumed the same basic rate of sales. At product launch our sales tripled overnight. It wrecked our best laid plans and took us 6 months to catch up. And that was small potatoes to what's happening in the firearms industry. Stay calm, keep your powder dry, and don't contribute to the problem by panic buying/hoarding/enabling price gougers. It will eventually get better, or it will never come back. Either way, none of us have any control over the situation.

It might be a good idea to see if any of these companies have stock to buy, and perhaps with the demand, and backlog, it would be a positive thing to buy their stock. Like as not, most, if not all, may just be too small an operation, or can't afford to have that option. 

Meanwhile...we wait for the feeding frenzy to abate...if, indeed it will in our lifetime.

1 hour ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

It might be a good idea to see if any of these companies have stock to buy, and perhaps with the demand, and backlog, it would be a positive thing to buy their stock. Like as not, most, if not all, may just be too small an operation, or can't afford to have that option. 

Meanwhile...we wait for the feeding frenzy to abate...if, indeed it will in our lifetime.

I predict that it will last for just a tad under 4 years. That, of course, depends upon what happens in 3.8 years.

Has this drought reached everything and everywhere?

Out of stock - backlogged - discontinued .... should give you an indication that there is a 'drought'

This only applies to  new reloaders - casters,  etc and not those that maintained their inventories and bought when there was 'fruit on the trees'

That's nothing!!

I heard that ship ... that's stuck in the Suez ... is expected to kick off another toilet paper shortage (bigger than last year). :lol:

On a positive note ... I noticed Tombstone Tactical (which is in Phoenix?!?) suddenly has a lot more stock. Some it was weird stuff .. like Uberti rifles/carbines in 32.20 etc ...  

1 hour ago, John Boy said:

Out of stock - backlogged - discontinued .... should give you an indication that there is a 'drought'

This only applies to  new reloaders - casters,  etc and not those that maintained their inventories and bought when there was 'fruit on the trees'

That’s true for folks that have weathered past storms and have been in the game for a while, but think of anyone that was thinking of joining in the fun.  No guns, No ammo, No reloading supplies = a down turn in new members.  I don’t think this drought will end soon, so how much was enough? One year supply, two, three?  Personally I’m good for the rest of the year and into next but after that I guess I’ll just take up fishing.  John Boy this is not a criticism on you or your comment, so please don’t take my thoughts that way, it’s more of thinking about a bigger picture with the current administration.

I went to buy an RCBS 230 grain .45 acp mold a few months back - NONE were to be found in the US, and I finally found one, ONE, online in Canada at Ellwood Epps in Severn, Ontario. 

10 hours ago, Go West said:

A week or so ago I saw some bullets I was interested in online, but didn't act on it. I looked again yesterday and saw they were out of stock as well as about 5 other sites. Some posted some ridiculous waiting times or were simply not taking orders.

Ok, I started looking for melting pots and bullet molds despite not having done that before. I looked at several sites and saw they were sold out, too. I have components to last, but was thinking about the future. Has this drought reached everything and everywhere?

I needed some cast bullets recently and contacted San Juan at Colorado Cast.  My order was delivered three days after I placed it.  They may not be backordered on your choice.

The unknown. Firearms/ammunition manufactures have no idea what the future holds. Why would they install new lines when Biden threatened to do away with their limited liability. So they produce with what they have and the product ships that day. There is no incentive to build inventory.

Chey cast is shipping again, give them a call great company! Ordered a 1000 coated 38 cal 105 grain Monday last week and got them today.  SCJ 

I'm already hearing of Cowboys not shooting due to not being able to find components.  I expect that all of the shooting disciplines will be feeling the squeeze pretty soon.  I'm probably good for another year or two but I'm starting to get concerned.

3 hours ago, Hipshot SASS#7 said:

Hey Slim:

The million new gun owners you mentioned is a bit low. 2020 had 8.2 million first time gun buyers.

Hipshot

I have a penchant for exaggerating that has gotten me into trouble at least a billion times. SO shooting from the cuff I figured I was lowballing it! So just take my original scenario & multiple it by 8.2.  It's going to be a long summer......

21 hours ago, Chickamauga Slim said:

.... Stay calm, keep your powder dry, and don't contribute to the problem by panic buying/hoarding/enabling price gougers. It will eventually get better, or it will never come back. Either way, none of us have any control over the situation.

Amen Slim!  Yesterday I sold 6 boxes of 12 ga to a buddy for $6/box because he was almost out.  I spent most of the rest of the morning reloading BP to replace them.

Looks like I'll be shooting BP in Shotgun regardless of what powder I shoot in my 45 Colts.

9 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

I'm already hearing of Cowboys not shooting due to not being able to find components.  I expect that all of the shooting disciplines will be feeling the squeeze pretty soon.  I'm probably good for another year or two but I'm starting to get concerned.

I do know Cowboys that have been forced to stop due to inability to get supplies. But listen to this. I offered the use of our Cowboy Range to the IPSC shooting club so they could combine with their range and start a new annual match, the Road Runner Shootout.http://ccpluspsa.com/ I've been up there watching the last couple days.  They cut it off at 350 shooters, They sold out on line in 12 min. Let me repeat that they sold out in 12 min!. The prize pool looks like the old days at EOT, only Bigger! 10s of thousands of dollars in prizes.... lots of guns, 15 new Dillion 750 and LOTS of prizes. The people are going nuts about our range. I was ask yesterday if they can use it again next year, and are considering adding some more bays. (we have 8, they have 5) and expending even more and going for the US championship! The appear to have the financial support and sponsors already wanting in. All this while I'm struggling to get our annual match pulled off in another 3 weeks with the smallest turnout in our 26 year history! We are down to 80 shooters!!! My point is this...... there are supplies somewhere.... 15 new Dillion presses and tons of ammunition don't just roll out from under the bed. Companies from around the US CALLED THEM wanting to sponsor this match., and they did, and they came through deliveries! This is FIRST hand info coming directly from the Match Director and Match Founder just yesterday. All this while I've been unable to get bullets from my local guy, so ordered from a outfit in Montana. Been waiting 6 weeks so far and still don't know when they will be shipped. I'm starting to think I'm shooting the wrong color bullets! 

MidwayUSA was my go-to place for Marlin parts and other parts.  They had vertically everything for Marlin guns.  I've noticed a steady decline over the years.  Now I see they have discontinued all their Marlin parts.  They still carry aftermarket custom parts.  

30 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

MidwayUSA was my go-to place for Marlin parts and other parts.  They had vertically everything for Marlin guns.  I've noticed a steady decline over the years.  Now I see they have discontinued all their Marlin parts.  They still carry aftermarket custom parts.  

Could this be due to the Ruger buyout?

36 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

I do know Cowboys that have been forced to stop due to inability to get supplies. But listen to this. I offered the use of our Cowboy Range to the IPSC shooting club so they could combine with their range and start a new annual match, the Road Runner Shootout.http://ccpluspsa.com/ I've been up there watching the last couple days.  They cut it off at 350 shooters, They sold out on line in 12 min. Let me repeat that they sold out in 12 min!. The prize pool looks like the old days at EOT, only Bigger! 10s of thousands of dollars in prizes.... lots of guns, 15 new Dillion 750 and LOTS of prizes. The people are going nuts about our range. I was ask yesterday if they can use it again next year, and are considering adding some more bays. (we have 8, they have 5) and expending even more and going for the US championship! The appear to have the financial support and sponsors already wanting in. All this while I'm struggling to get our annual match pulled off in another 3 weeks with the smallest turnout in our 26 year history! We are down to 80 shooters!!! My point is this...... there are supplies somewhere.... 15 new Dillion presses and tons of ammunition don't just roll out from under the bed. Companies from around the US CALLED THEM wanting to sponsor this match., and they did, and they came through deliveries! This is FIRST hand info coming directly from the Match Director and Match Founder just yesterday. All this while I've been unable to get bullets from my local guy, so ordered from a outfit in Montana. Been waiting 6 weeks so far and still don't know when they will be shipped. I'm starting to think I'm shooting the wrong color bullets! 

We also share the specialty range with our local USPSA club here. They have an annual Glock shoot that brings in 300 shooters and an incredible prize table.....B)

Yeah,

I have more than just ammo considerations limiting my ability to come to many matches, but that's part of it.  I had what I considered an adequate stockpile going into this shortage, but it's nowhere near adequate if I want to start competing regularly, and that's even with me not adding any calibers.  

If you add all the new buyers with the (who knows why) shortages (add theory here) and the fear of established shooters and reloaders brought on by folks in DC and other BLUE areas and their media minions, you have a "perfect storm". Well, imperfect if you are desperately looking for that set of dies or bullet mould or whatever. There just ain't enough to go around. We have been spoiled being able to order what we wanted, when we wanted and being able to get it within days... that may be over for a while, maybe much longer. From my view, for what it's worth, VOTE THEM OUT!!! If your reps are not supporting your interests, get rid of them. It seems like most (not all) get in office and get soft on what they were sent there for in the first place AND what they promised in their campaigns. Absolute power...

On 3/27/2021 at 7:48 PM, Hipshot SASS#7 said:

Hey Slim:

The million new gun owners you mentioned is a bit low. 2020 had 8.2 million first time gun buyers.

Hipshot

8.....gulp! 

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Yup, 8 million. The CEO of CCI/Federal put that in perspective when he pointed out that if each of those new gun owners just bought 2 boxes of ammo that was 800 million extra rounds the factories had to produce!

The price gougers are out and its getting worse.  Anyone interested in 500 rounds for $1,500? At three bucks per round, I hope the brass is 24kt gold plated. Putting this in perspective, you will get 4 matches with a few rounds to spare and it will cost you about the same as buying a matching pair of Uberti 1873 Cattleman Cody .45 Colts with 7.5" barrels in Polished Nickel with Ivory Grips (that is if you can find any in stock). 

image.thumb.png.81b7c1bf801910d207f0d4c33ad7b0f6.png

I bought several of those 500 round ammo cans of 38's from Georgia Arms and Ammo when I first started this madness.  I still use them for storing my reloads.  The price marked on my cans is $75.00.

Reminds me of the condo conversion craze of a few years ago. Real estate was going through the roof and it was getting hard for some to make money, so they decided to convert old motels into condos. The first ones in the game made a lot of money and attracted others. The last ones into the game lost their shirts, so I'm hoping the scalpers get theirs for what's going on now.

Archived