SASS Wire Forum

Shipping Ammo

Goody, SASS #26190

I used to know how. But looking at the UPS website today it seems as though the ORM-D designation was dropped as of 1/1/2021. I con't find my way through the maze to determine the proper procedures now. Is anyone up to date on this

Looking at the UPS web site, under shipping ammunition, it notes that the ORM D symbol has to be on the package.  However, it may be that each hub may make its own rules.  I shipped some ammo from a hub in western Minnesota and the clerk had some diamond symbol stickers he put on the box  and he wrote ORM D on it as well.  Sort of like the Post Office; everyone does what they want.

As a postscript, the package arrived and the tops of two 100 round hard plastic boxes were cracked, one bad enough to be discarded.  They will toss the boxes around, or drop stuff on them.  I'm not sure what would have happened if the cartridges were in paper boxes.

My brother worked for ups for a spell and told me one time a box of ammo broke open. They had to shut the facility down until every inch was inspected to make sure no rounds were Anywhere! Box was not marked had it been he said no recourse. As it wasn’t marked As IRM D , UPS inspectors came in and they intended to take civil action for times and monies lost!

Do it the right way , you might get away with saving a few bucks or you might lose more than you can afford!

6 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Looks to me like they are just replacing the ORM-D sticker with that huge black and white sticker?

Yep a black and white diamond.

These are NOT UPS rules... these are rules set by the Department of Transportation... UPS is just as much at their mercy as the rest of us...   Although licensed to carry HazMat, I just don't... Unless it's bulk, empty containers... just too many additional rules... each of which is another way to get a ticket..

What Happens to ORM-D Shipments on January 1, 2021?

Here’s some good news: For the most part, the same materials, in the same quantities, in the same packaging, will continue to qualify for relief under US DOT’s limited quantity regulations after ORM-D is phased out. When PHMSA began the ORM-D phase out in 2011, they also expanded the limited quantity exceptions to include the same reliefs provided for ORM-D.

Limited quantity shipments are typically excepted from UN specification packaging, hazmat labels, shipping papers, and hazmat placards.

What will change is the label you affix to your packages. Ground shipments of limited quantities must carry the blank limited quantity mark pictured below. Limited quantity air shipments are already required to display the “Y” limited quantity marking shown below.

limitedquantity2.gif Ylimited.jpg

I didn't see any pricing on the UPS website. Does anyone know if there is an extra charge for the HazMat shipping. If so, is it a one fee fits all or does it go by weight or something else. I will probably need to ship some primed brass but not real loaded ammo. I'm just trying to price it for sale and include the shipping/HazMat price in the total price.

14 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

I didn't see any pricing on the UPS website. Does anyone know if there is an extra charge for the HazMat shipping. If so, is it a one fee fits all or does it go by weight or something else. I will probably need to ship some primed brass but not real loaded ammo. I'm just trying to price it for sale and include the shipping/HazMat price in the total price.

No hazmat fee for loaded ammunition or primed brass.  Weight, package dimensions, value of contents, distance and method of shipment (ground or air overnight) determine the price.  UPS shipping calculations go by zip code.

A license is needed to ship ammunition for sale.  I don't know about primed brass.

Same as it was, just a different marking on the box. It has to go via a common carrier, UPS or FEDEX. The new marking on the box is now limitedquantity2.gif.4d909154820e9c5bcbc8695397d047c0.gif

I am fairly certain that the shipper will have the stickers for the box, just as they used to have the ORM-D stickers. There are no charges for this, just the regular shipping rates apply.

Archived