SASS Wire Forum

serious ammo question....

Chili Ron

Howdy,

Empty shelves in every shop around.

A few odd boxes of shotgun shells and that 350 ammo that nobody has a gun.

And this guy in Colorado comes up with ammo just like that.

223 normally is a piece of cake but NOW I bet I would run

out of gas before I found enough to practice with a new gun

and go out a blast a crowd of nice folks.

And NICE folks too. Just the kind of people someone would like to

win over in the conveniently upcoming gun grab.....

If you seriously see a real article detailing how and where this guy

got all that ammo PLEASE let me know.

Lets not NOT get political I just want to know where that ammo came

from in the middle of the biggest ammo shortage I ever saw.

Thanks aheadotime

Best not political......just the facts Mamm

CR

Very interesting question indeed. Good observation Chili Ron.

There is no readily available 5.56 around my area. Occasionally I have seen 9mm and .45 ACP but only a few boxes and with 1 and 2 box limits. There’s a lot of .380 available all of a sudden but the brands are European. 

My LGS just got in a bunch of 5.56 and 9mm. They're factory reloads from Tennessee cartridge for the 9mm and somewhere else for the 5.56. They got a bunch and no limit either! I'm going to grab some 9mm today!

Our LGS chain   (Scheels)  has had a lot of assorted ammo lately     New  Federal  HST and Punch ammo . Aquilla , Fiochhi and others.    9mm,  223   and others.   Limits  but do able       GW

1 hour ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

I don’t know how much, ‘all that ammo,’ amounts to, but some gun stores hold back ammo to sell with any gun they sell. 

There's a couple that do that here too. It all depends on their stock of firearms! Some don't have many guns at all and will sell as much ammo as they can!

There has always been small lots of ammo to pop up from closing companies, estate sales, etc..  they are more evident in a season of shortage.

My LGS has several cases of Russian .22LR that came from an estate.  Too expensive and just crappy-looking.

The indoor shooting ranges around here (there's 4 within 15 miles of my house) are limiting ammo sales to those using the range or buying a gun.

3 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

Thanks aheadotime

CR

We'll probably never know for show, but I'll offer a theory,  The shooter, from what I have had read, had no social life and kept to himself in his room.  So when he wasn't working at the family resturant, he had plenty of time to hit refresh on his internet browser to find ammo and possibly even the firearm.

As of this post, there was plenty of .223 ammo availability if you are willing to pay the outrageous prices:  https://ammoseek.com/ammo/223-remington

I've got lots of ammo, and I keep going to the range, and then topping up my calibers-- at retail prices. Just takes patience. The country is full of ammo, inasmuch as the manufacturers have been making it 24/7 for months.

Try out the simplest explanation: he bought it. That's how most of us come by it.

7 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

Thanks aheadotime

CR

Or maybe he’s Syrian, and we just bombed Syria 

I was at my LGS a couple of weeks,ago and they had 

9mm

38 spl

9mm 

12 guage 

50 bmg 

All with quantity limits 

Was there 2 days age and only 7.62

It comes then it goes

1 hour ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

He just recently came into an extra $1,400.00.  

That was EXACTLY what I was thinking. Forget the fact he was a sorry loser. The government just gave him some free money to go buy a semi-auto and some ammo for it. Paying $1 a round was the last thing on his mind.

probably was given a box or two when buying that new rifle that he was given the green light by both feds and colorado to buy , passed the "background" checks but lets not let facts get in the way of a new move to steal other peoples rights 

I'm finding a lot of ammo, but in bulk. It winds up being cheaper and I'm gonna use it all at the range eventually anyway. So I've been buying my calibers in cases of 1,000 online.

now if I could only find some dang LP primers at a decent price... I havent shot my 44-40s in a while, since I shoot BP I need to load my own. I won't be able to go to any meets until primers come back. All my cowboy guns are 44-40.

Ammo is available especially online - you just have to be willing to pay the premium or wait til you find a store with a new shipment. I imagine with his 1,400 dollar stimi check he had enough to pay the premium for what he wanted along with the gun. 

We've been getting in regular amounts of 5.56 and 9mm.  Have had about three boxes of 38 special since November, and not a round of 357 magnum.  Same for 45 Colt.  I got two cases of 410 on line that we sold in store in less than 24 hours.  

From what I saw last weekend it looked like Winchester just dumped a lot of ammo on the market in the past few weeks.  Some of the ammo dealers were telling me that they'd started producing some of the seasonal stuff again too that I hadn't been able to find for months. 

But you didn't give enough info to come up with a better guess. 

On 3/27/2021 at 8:09 AM, Chili Ron said:

...And this guy in Colorado comes up with ammo just like that....

Perhaps he's an investor?   Like public traded stocks, buy low and sale high.  He waited until ammo was high to sale?

On 3/27/2021 at 5:55 AM, Ozark Huckleberry said:

I don’t know how much, ‘all that ammo,’ amounts to, but some gun stores hold back ammo to sell with any gun they sell. 

That is what I have found with the 4 gun purchases I have made in the last 4 months.  No two guns were purchased at single store.  One was Sportsman's Warehouse & the rest LGS's.  They all asked if I needed ammo.  At Sportsman's I bought a couple of boxes of SIG 45ACP 230 grain ball; which, isn't the caliber of the rifle I bough.  The price shocked* me $26.00 per 50 round box.  Their website has shown Out Of Stock for months.  Note: I didn't buy ammo for the rifle; because, I have north of 22,000 rounds of 22LR.  After Sandy Hook when 22LR dropped to 7 cents each I started buying 2-3,000 lots until I bothered to count my inventory.

*Pleasantly surprised.  I wished I'd asked for a couple more boxes but I'd feel guilty that such greed would deprive others of ammo to shot their gun.  If I need some I'd just setup the XL650 and run a batch of 1000.

Archived