SASS Wire Forum

Happy trigger or ranger point?

Marshall Matt Dillon

9 hours ago, Marshall Matt Dillon said:

Marlin 1894 in 45 colt. Which trigger do people like best? 

After working with both of them, I prefer the flatter profile of the  Ranger Point trigger.   They both function well, but the end of the Happy Trigger was hitting me right in the pad of my finger.

5 hours ago, McCandless said:

After working with both of them, I prefer the flatter profile of the  Ranger Point trigger.   They both function well, but the end of the Happy Trigger was hitting me right in the pad of my finger.

Good info there.thanks

Ok,  here is my take on the situation.  The Marlin 1894 was reintroduced in 1969.  So considering 52 years of production there is some design and parts variations. And, I expect ever Marlin was hand fitted at the factory.  It's just good luck any trigger or interlock replacement worked correctly.   It could end up failing. Could be the trigger wouldn't release at all. 

I went through our stash of Marlins with the Phantom trigger and found one that would let the hammer drop with lever open.  

431554388_MarlinSafety1March2021.jpg.f513af1c34cfe33fe302710a0235ffac.jpg

Here is the relationship of the trigger and interlock.  Note the gap.

91855206_MarlinSafety2March2021.jpg.cd9c284960ef14dd942845d35d7af5c2.jpg

Here I've taken the trigger plate out and put the hammer back in to better test the function.

1506645422_MarlinSafety3March2021.jpg.2d4379b55f81fa00afec4bb40d6177f0.jpg

I drove the pin out that holds the trigger reset and safety do-hicky. 

1253827417_MarlinSafety4March2021.jpg.d75f00cc3ac1211027b0fea23362af54.jpg

I didn't have a new replacement so I cold "forged" the corner edgen move metal forward a bit to fill the gap.  

1092182507_MarlinSafety5March2021.jpg.4f8bf548479ed290abed79763718f4d0.jpg

Helps to use a "slave pin" to align the holes.  You have to "mash down" on the spring to get the pin to pass. 

1976478844_MarlinSafety6March2021.jpg.b032d9fbc1694f834c9d22c49f4c8253.jpg

I took several beatings and testing before I moved enough metal to make it work.  The metal was harder than I expected.  A replacement part would be great but parts are hard to get now. If I'm faced with doing this again, I'd just get out the torch and heat that edge to dull red and hit it. 

Works now.

Found a source of original Marlin one-piece triggers. Some I've had to clean up a bit and re-blue but have installed in both of my Marlins and they work great!

No two-piece trigger flop! And they look great too; never cared for the gaudy gold ones. I have a couple spares for just the right occasion.

23 minutes ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Found a source of original Marlin one-piece triggers. Some I've had to clean up a bit and re-blue but have installed in both of my Marlins and they work great!

No two-piece trigger flop! And they look great too; never cared for the gaudy gold ones. I have a couple spares for just the right occasion.

Could you share the name of this source?

OLG 

1 hour ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

I have a bunch of early 1894s (1894-WWI) and none of them have the trigger block interlock feature.  If the two-piece firing pin is working,  it's a redundant feature. 

Ironically,  the 1894 was an update of the 1889. The 1889 had a trigger block and two piece trigger. 

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Could you share the name of this source?

OLG 

I can... but it'll cost ya. Lol

Seriously, it's Numrich, but they are out on all 1894 listings for one-piece triggers. I may have bought the last they had.

I do know the same trigger was installed in different models, but after a little looking, they are out.

I dug out an old 1894 solid trigger (with broken sear) and a Phantom trigger. I don't see how the old Marlin one-piece trigger would interface with a trigger block as its not got a "butt" to butt up to the trigger block.

331392591_MarlinPhantomandoldtriggerMarch2021.jpg.1f50ed2c5a1bbe9d9fa3fa603c3cef05.jpg

Archived