SASS Wire Forum

Unmatched sidearms

Mancino

Howdy,

I just ordered a second pistol so I could start in the sport and even though I ordered by SKU#, they sent me a different one.   Evil Roy Cimarrons are hard to find right now.  Since they are the same length and caliber, will I be OK - the only difference between them that matters is the hammer.

As long as both pistols meet the qualifications for whichever category you're choosing to compete in you'll be fine. There's nothing in the Shooter's Handbook stating your revolvers have to be identical.

You can shoot two totally different guns in different calibers if you want.  You can have a 16" buntline special in 45colt for your left hand and an opentop conversion in 38special for your right hand, if you are so inclined.

My regular sixguns are both 45Colt, but one is 5.5" and the other is 4.63".  I'll occasionally swap one out for a 7.5" barrel in 44-40.

Just keep an eye open if you shoot similar calibers.  It is real easy to load a 44 mag into a 45colt and not notice until you eject the brass and notice a funny reverse neck with a bit of a split.  Dont ask me how I know....

I shot several matches with a 5.5" Uberti  pre-war and a 7.5" Uberti Old Frame.  I always shot the longer barrel on my right side, because it required higher lift to get it in and out of the holster.  I noticed almost all of my misses were with the longer "Old Frame" revolver, because it has a very narrow front sight.

I just bought another 5.5" Uberti to match the other one; I haven't shot it in a match yet, but just from my dry fire practice I think it will be much better for me.  Probably more of a confidence boost than anything else.

I don't think I've ever shot a match with an identical pair of pistols.   The closest I have to one are a pair of Colt Sheriff's models, one being blued and the other being nickel.

I usually shoot pistols that are "different" in some way.   Sometimes the difference is as simple as different barrel lengths and/or finish.   Pairing one of the Sheriff's with a Buntline is a lot of fun for example.   Sometimes I shoot a Colt in one hand and a Smith and Wesson in the other.  They key to this is to shoot what you like and have fun.

Since one of your pistols has a low hammer and the other doesn't, that would be the most likely distraction for you, if at all.  It is possible that shooting one of them before the other will feel like a more natural transition to your thumb.  

My left hand gun is a 4.75 inch Uberti SAA colt clone and my right is an Uberti 1875 7.5 inch remington clone. 

I'm in it for the fun and friends. Doubt I'll ever win a buckle but I will have fun!

4 hours ago, Mancino said:

I am curious about the reasoning for having different lengths for each hand. 

There are a number of reasons:

It's what some folks happen to have.

Variety (just for the heck of it).

Different visual focal length for shooters with dual-dominant eyesight.

...and other reasons

Also can you transfer and just shoot with one hand?

Yes...as long as the revolver is not cocked before transferring.

Yeah you can use 2 different pistols.  For a while I shot  a Schofield and a 7 1/2" uberti.  I always shot the Schofield in my right hand because the grip and hammer reach. Just make sure you use the same pistol with the same hand. You get used to the way it shoots.  Now that I have the same type of pistols I still use the pistol I'm used to in the same hand. 

Rafe 

:D I sometimes put this 3"er in my other 18" holster... the looks I get when I pull it out on the line are hilarious! (The gun, THE GUN!)

Buntline2.jpg

9 hours ago, Mancino said:

I am curious about the reasoning for having different lengths for each hand.  Also can you transfer and just shoot with one hand?

For me I wanted the 7.5 .45 colt for a BBQ gun. I got a nice buscadero holster and then started shooting cowboy. So I bought a SAA like one I had borrowed. Most real Hired guns didn't shoot a matched set. Maybe had an old issued pistol and a town gun with a shorter barrel that was easier to hide.

They all eat the same ammo and I live rural so I wear either one when camping or out and about.

My 45 Colts are not matched. Only difference in using them is that I have to be sure to fire the lighter trigger first, so the gun fires when I expect it to. If I come to it off the heavier trigger, I am out of sync using the same hand. Learned that first time out.

Howdy Mancino,

I've heard it said that it helps to have identical grips on the two six-guns, but I think that is a personal choice. If you want to be really fast that may be a good idea. If you like cowboy era guns you might have a bunch of different makes, shapes and sizes. Apparently, I am not grip sensitive. I regularly mix and match Colt 73's, an Opentop, a Dragoon conversion, a Rem. 58 conversion, Schofield and enjoy the variety. I should point out that I am glacially slow, but I'm in this game for the fun. I also regularly win Classic Cowboy at my club (when I'm the only shooter.)

Rev. Chase

ps: one downside to my approach is having to have a lot of different holsters and remembering to bring the right ones for the six-guns you packed.

12 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

:D I sometimes put this 3"er in my other 18" holster... the looks I get when I pull it out on the line are hilarious! (The gun, THE GUN!)

Buntline2.jpg

Snerk...

1602171803_123.thumb.JPG.715f135b574451f18ba0bfa546d2d5f0.JPG

As I mentioned before, the bottom two are as close as I have to a matched pair.  But the top and lower left are fun to pair with each other every so often.

And if you want to be as different as different can be, I actually shot a clean match with the below...

723100691_CleanandSilly.thumb.JPG.83740c0e6bb428f450c7df99fbe4c98a.JPG

The Revolver is my custom configured "Big Iron," based on the gun that inspired the Marty Robbins song.   At least it's in the same caliber as the Lighting Bolt.   Which I can not say the same for the below....

RidiculousB.thumb.JPG.3aca2b98cff4f8fef510a73818313615.JPG

I have a real desire to shoot a match with this set.   The Mare's leg, like the 92 is a .44 Magnum.   The Lighting Bolt is a .45 Colt.   This is probably the most "different" set of pistols I have.   I have not yet used them in match together.   Maybe this year.

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER:  For some reason, Mare's leg type pistols, and the Terminator style 87, are not legal for SASS.   Some clubs will allow you to use them at a monthly match.   If I have a desire to do so, I call ahead to see if it's okay.  If it's not, I use something else.

I shot mismatched Pistols for the first 15 years or so ,,,, 

And still do on occasion, I shot the SASS Canadian Nationals once using 5 different Rifles on day one then repeated with the same 5 rifles in reverse order on day two. 

I used two mismatched pistols each day as well , for a total of 4 different pistols ....

I used a different shotguns on each day as well ....one in 12 and the other in 16 ga.

This was a bunch of fun. And I placed much higher than I expected...

I only have two sets of matching Pistols, even now after 20 years of Cowboy Action Shooting ... 

Mostly I now use a pair of Open-Tops in .44 Spl. and a Uberti 66 Sporting Rifle in .38-40 and a hammered Double .

But I have a pair of Cattlemen in .38-40 that are calling to be shot ...

Jabez Cowboy

I love my 7" Schofield and was running it with a 4 5/8" OMV. Today I ran it with a 5" Opentop and loved the longer grips on these compared to the Vaquero. I guess I will still look for another Schofield, but now it is much less of a desire.

i also shot mismatched revolvers for the first 10 or 11 years , after an event that saw three crash in a single day i bought a matched set and they have remained my main match handguns for the last 5 years but i still have two that dont match them that i hold in backup to prevent another bad day like that one , 

i now have a second matched set in a different caliber im going to try , but the backup for these is a mismatch as well , i never have a real issue changing as im not a fast shooter - im a fun shooter , 

if i shot black powder i would be back to a mismatch 

I bet most of us started out with mismatched pistols.  Are you shooting traditional or one handed? 

I'd suggest designating one as the right pistol and one as the left.  That will help deal with them 'feeling' different because you will soon learn what to expect from each pistol. 

On 3/26/2021 at 6:31 PM, Mancino said:

OK, 

Thanks everyone.  I won't worry about it.  To be specific they are both Cimarron Evil Roy in 357 4.75".  One is a pre-war and the other is an old frame.  

Did they simply ship one incorrectly?  I would contact the seller and ask... they might be quite obliging and exchange the incorrect one... 

I shoot duelist and always holster the longer bbl gun in the crossdraw holster if bbl lengths are different. If I’m using my matched bbl vaqueros I put the same gun in the same holster every time. That way you can consciously adjust your sight picture for the gun you’re using.  As in left gun shoots high- rt shoots dead on for example. I always draw my crossdraw first too. 

I also used mismatched length pistols for a long time. 5.5" and 7.5" Remington '75s.

They are exactly the same except for length and never caused any problems.

If your hammers are different configuration, it may make muscle memory a little difficult, but not too much. Like others have said, they have shot drastically different handguns. If you choose, at some point you could switch out the hammer on one to match the other; pretty simple operation.

I use Colts in .357. I have 4 of them. I use a 4 3/4" and a 5 1/2 as main match guns. Occasionally I use 2- 5 1/2"'s but I love that 4 3/4". That 3/4" doesn't make a whole lot of difference.:lol:

I am using a 7" Schofield and a 5 1/2" Open top Army in .45 Colt right now and love the longer grips on both. Will I ever find another Schofield? Time will tell.

Sometimes when I shoot Josey Wales I use 2-4 5/8 Uberti Cattlemen, in .38 with modified hammers, 2-6 1/2 Ruger Blackhawk in .357  with Bisley hammers, for rifle targets and finish up on shotgun, with a 10 1/2 SS SuperBlackhawk in .44.  I think it is not a big deal if the pistols are not exactly identical, and it actually helps for Josey Wales. Reliability and consistency are more important to me. When the beep happens, all the other goes out the window, unless you choose to worry about it.

Imis

Archived