SASS Wire Forum

LGS got to me

Perro Del Diablo

Good for you! Love mine. 

You are in great company. the M1 Carbine was Audie Murphy's favorite rifle. Of course, at the time, before gun writers, and the internet, he didn't know how "ineffective" that caliber was. He carried many different weapons, but preferred the M1 Carbine.

Much later, after the war, the Army found the rifle, repaired it, and it rests in a museum now, along with a German sniper rifle, after Audie dispatched the sniper...using, what else, the M1 Carbine! 

Get one before sniffin' joe bans them.

A fellow of my acquaintance complained that he tried to drill out his peep sight's aperture, but it was harder than the hammered down hubs so he gave up before something went wrong and he caused damage he'd not planned.
I tried to look up replacement, larger apertures, and had a marvelous lack of success.
I carefully avoided offering free advice. That's too nice a rifle to Bubba up.

11 minutes ago, Perro Del Diablo said:

Inland

INLAND! Oh man, those things are garbage. I hate to see you waste good money like that. Tell you what, to save you any embarrassment I will pay the shipping and you can just send that to me for proper treatment of such a terrible piece of equipment. It’s really too bad you bought that thing. I wouldn’t take it to a range or show it around. Why, it would tarnish your good name. Heck, people that don’t even know you will ask around to find out who you are so they can spread awful rumors about you to make themselves feel better about themselves. 
It’s a good thing you came here first. I can save you all that hassle and embarrassment. 
PM me with an address to send the money for the shipping. :D

2 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

INLAND! Oh man, those things are garbage. I hate to see you waste good money like that. Tell you what, to save you any embarrassment I will pay the shipping and you can just send that to me for proper treatment of such a terrible piece of equipment. It’s really too bad you bought that thing. I wouldn’t take it to a range or show it around. Why, it would tarnish your good name. Heck, people that don’t even know you will ask around to find out who you are so they can spread awful rumors about you to make themselves feel better about themselves. 
It’s a good thing you came here first. I can save you all that hassle and embarrassment. 
PM me with an address to send the money for the shipping. :D

Shipping quote was $5 California fees $25000

We will need pics ASAP!

Based on my books on my second favorite rifle, after a Win 1892:

Looks like a WWII stock since there is no relief on the left side of the receiver.  Bayonet lug is Korean era.

I bought a 1958 S&W Model 18 this week at my LGS 'cause it sang to me.

When I was a kid I wanted one of those so bad I couldn't stand it. My dad (WWII vet) said no go. Once I got where I could afford one there was always something I wanted worse. Maybe my dad figured they weren't good for much but plinking.

JHC

Back in the olden days when I was a puppy, my mom who was 4 feet 10 inches tall used one for deer hunting. It looked so big with her holding it, but now that I'm all grownd up and haired over they don't look so big. I wish I had it today, but it surcumed to a house fire in the mid 60's.

Archived