SASS Wire Forum

Primer Failure During Match

Recently had a hard primer on a cartridge fail to ignite on the fifth round of the last pistol sequence of the match.  Had a clean match going until then.  Cycled the cylinder around twice with no success.  Declared malfunction, grounded pistol safely and completed the stage.   As this was not a squib round but a cartridge failure, did I have the option to safely reload the empty sixth cylinder on the clock with a round from my belt to save the clean match?  Looked through most recent Shooters manual and RO I and II files but could not find any mention of this either way.

Thanks.

YES.

Once the first round goes down range, the competitor is committed to the stage and must finish the stage to the best of his or her ability.

SHB p.20

19 minutes ago, SaukValley Sam, SASS # 66557 said:

Recently had a hard primer on a cartridge fail to ignite on the fifth round of the last pistol sequence of the match.  Had a clean match going until then.  Cycled the cylinder around twice with no success.  Declared malfunction, grounded pistol safely and completed the stage.   As this was not a squib round but a cartridge failure, did I have the option to safely reload the empty sixth cylinder on the clock with a round from my belt to save the clean match?  Looked through most recent Shooters manual and RO I and II files but could not find any mention of this either way.

Thanks.

As soon as you hear that LOUD click......... Reload the empty chamber without going around and wasting time.

If by chance it was a suspected squib. Load the other revolver!

Thanks Pale Wolf!  Just out of curiosity, is this addressed anywhere in the shooter's manual?

Since there is still an un-fired but loaded round still in cylinder, can the pistol be re-holstered after the reload is shot or does it need to be grounded?  Hammer down on fired sixth round.

Just out of curiosity, is this addressed anywhere in the shooter's manual?

Not specifically (other than the quote I added to my initial response).

It IS addressed in the "RELOAD CHOICES" doc in the Rule Clarification Archives:

It is also acceptable for a shooter to replace defective (bad primer?) rounds in a cartridge revolver in order to successfully complete a stage. Even if a revolver has a “squib” (effectively putting that firearm out of commission), the shooter MAY reload the functioning revolver to finish the shooting string after making the malfunctioning firearm safe.

7 minutes ago, SaukValley Sam, SASS # 66557 said:

Since there is still an un-fired but loaded round still in cylinder, can the pistol be re-holstered after the reload is shot or does it need to be groundedHammer down on fired sixth round.

YES...and that "unfired round" is NOT counted as a MISS if a round has been loaded to replace it.

There is no malfunction. Yes it may be holstered. 

You just walked from the loading table with five loaded rounds in the gun!

Thank you to every one for the replies.  I wrote a article for our club newsletter but wanted to be sure I was not misinformed or giving bad advice.

1 minute ago, SaukValley Sam, SASS # 66557 said:

Thank you to every one for the replies.  I wrote a article for our club newsletter but wanted to be sure I was not misinformed or giving bad advice.

If a squib were the first round out of the revolver (It happens often), you can shoot the second revolver dry and do a complete reload if you wish.

Many shooters forget this, and their expression changes when they realize what they could have done.

6 minutes ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

If a squib were the first round out of the revolver (It happens often), you can shoot the second revolver dry and do a complete reload if you wish.

Many shooters forget this, and their expression changes when they realize what they could have done.

Been there, got the t-shirt!

9 hours ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

As soon as you hear that LOUD click......... Reload the empty chamber without going around and wasting time.

If by chance it was a suspected squib. Load the other revolver!

By loading the empty chamber, no concerns about a hang fire?

Archived