SASS Wire Forum

The Gentleman's Guide to Amputation

Sedalia Dave

Would have been nicer if they let the Amputee lay down ,     They were definitely   tougher back then         GW

Watch me gut a deer and you'll see most of that chart in action. My kids look for running blood on my hands when I'm done. Really. It's true. Sad. But true. :D

21 minutes ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

Dang.  I spent 4 years in Veterinary College learning to do this when all I needed was this effing chart!

:angry:

And Brandy, You can't do it successfully without the Brandy. ;)

5 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

And Brandy, You can't do it successfully without the Brandy. ;)

I'd rather have the brandy before, during and after....mainly before.:o

Well, now I know how to do this. One should strive to learn something new everyday. Tomorrow,  Tonsillectomies!

We’ll need more brandy...

2 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Funny, how I can have animal gore running done my arms and dripping off my elbows, but human baby poop causes me to gag.  :wacko:

Well, I would like to think that’s because...know what? Never mind. Some people think I am weird. What I was about to say would have confirmed it. 

That whistling you hear is me leaving....in search of a meme or something. 

Back before the Plague, there was an annual gathering at the county fairgrounds in Mansfield, Ohio ... the biggest Civil War gathering of re-enactors and collectors in the New-ninety States!

One of their attractions was a field amputation.

The "victim" was marvelously moulaged and bloodied, he was laid down on the surgeon's table: his lower leg actually went down through a hole in the table and a dummy leg was quickly placed:  the tourniquet was applied, the "limb" removed with speed and alacrity; when the bone saw cut through, it was actually cutting a length of PVC pipe, with a horribly realistic sound.

(Yes, I've heard it for real, details omitted out of a sense of politeness)

Anyway -- about the time everyone's teeth were set on edge when the saw hit the "bone", my wife turned to me with a box of Tic Tacs and said in the shocked silence, "Mint, dear?"

EVERY EYE IN THE AUDIENCE TURNED TOWARD US AND GLARED LIKE WE WERE GHOULS.

We stuck around afterward, my wife and I, two medical professionals discussing field amputations in clinical and professional terms: the surgeon was, in real life, a pediatric physician, and we shared a laugh about "Mint, dear," for he said he got such a perverse delight in watching faces turn green when he cut into that PVC!

Anybody else noticed the resemblance between the snake in Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas and the Arm before the bone is sawed? Also how it looks baseball stitched?

8 hours ago, Injun Ryder, SASS #36201L said:

Well, Somebody has to!!!!:P

True. The Confederacy had far fewer resources during the war. Lead a cavalry raid overnight, do some doctoring once back in camp.

Archived