SASS Wire Forum

Where to start for Plainsman

Artemus Von Schutze

I think I would like to get into the Plainsman sidematches, truthfully as an excuse to use my Springfield Trapdoor more. I have no experience with percussion revolvers. If someone can point me to a good start guide, recommendations for revolvers, etc would be most appreciated. 

Try shooting both Remington and Colt reproductions and see what you like best.  Soot Lords will let you try their revolvers.  After shooting Remingtons for years I went back to my heavy Ruger Old Armys.  They are very reliable and I like their triggers.  Duelist 1954 has a YouTube channel detailing many aspects of cap and ball revolvers.  The single most important thing you can do for your revolvers is replace the stock nipples with quality, aftermarket nipples.  For propellant I see more APP used than any other propellant, though perhaps a Von Schutze should be shooting Schutzen.  (You could tell fellow shooters you own the company.) B)

I've shot Plainsman and Frontiersman for 15 years.

Any side by side shotgun. Does not have to be hammered.

You've got the rifle.

Iv'e shot 1851 Navy Colts with 7 1/2" and 5" barrels.

I've shot 1858 Remingtons with the 7 1/2" and 5" barrels

I've shot Ruger Old Armies.

The Remington grip takes some getting used to. Overall very dependable I could shoot 6 stages and do nothing to them.

I like the 5" 1851 Navy Colts the best but even after tuning them I had cap jamming issues. "sometimes"

I have shot the Rugers the most. They are heavier, but are the most reliable.

Since your shooting Plainsman I would find someone with the above guns so you can try out the grips. Thats what is the most important thing.

Forget Rugers unless you want to spend $2,000 for a pair!!!

Powder GOEX 2f

Caps Remington No.10's if you can find them right now.

Replace the nipples

I use a lubed Wonder Wadd between the powder and the ball.

Ted Nash straight capper works on any gun.

I shoot 18 grains of powder. You do not need full canon loads.

You're going to need t reload your own shotgun ammo.

45 grains of 2f GOEX, 1 1/8 ounce shot, and Claybuster wadd.

I too enjoy Plainsman..lot of fun. My  rifle is a H &R  38-55 single shot ejector with 20'' barrel. . Pistols are slicked up Old Armies & SXS SKB 200.

With everything that's been going on it has been over 12 months since I've shot Plainsman , hopefully that will change soon. I normally use a X draw rig  but in Plainsman use  strong side as I shoot double duellist.

Real BP for me, in fact all I use is 5FA cracker powder or re granulated Blasting powder & they work just fine., I use them for all my BP shooting.

Have fun........

Pair 1851 Navies, hammered double, trapdoor rifle .45-70.    As said try the different grips on the pistols.  I use the 51 Navies as they hurt my arthritis less than the .44's, don't like the Remington grips though you can get them in .36.  I like hammered doubles but also use hammerless ones.  I also like long barrels as they let me hit low off center and will knock down the SG knockdowns.  I also just like the trapdoor and find I can down load the .45-70 to .45 Colt loads with a 300gr bullet.  I like Goex FFFg in all shells with 777 used when I can't get black powder.

Give J Bar a holler. He's in your neck of the woods.

He's a wealth of knowledge and a good pard to ride the river with.

He's helped improve many SASS shooters in the past.

Couote Kid

I shoot Plainsman as simple as possible.  I prefer Pietta built Cap Guns.  Mine are tuned for super reliability.  I also shoot EPP UG-36 Bullets.  The EPP UG-36 is a big lube bullet and carries a boatload of lube.  No wads needed.  I also shoot APP 3F.  No Wads needed and no lube needed.  Super Simple.  I shoot an H&R Handi rifle in 38-55.  Easy to load for and easy on the shoulder.  Hammer Double Shotgun.  Either a TTN/Cimarron, a Pedersoli or a Pietta (EMF) and I use All Brass 12Ga Magtech hulls.  Gobs of fun.  Almost forgot, most of my Main Match Cap Guns are SNUBBIES.  Most funner of all.

I use a pair of 2nd Gen Colts, 1851s, with SlixShot nipples, Manhattan conversion, a Browning 1885 in 45 Colt and a TTN 1878.  As always, I charge 6 chambers, with approx 15 grains of 3F Goex, a lubed wonder wad and a .375 ball.  Unfortunately, it's been about 3 years since any of the matches I've attended had a Plainsman side match.

Before spending the money, be sure and check the Remington revolver out with a few rounds down range.  For easy care free shooting I found the Pietta Rem '58s to be great guns BUT I just got tired of the beating it put on my lil birds by the end of every match.  I like the Colt style cap guns but they do much better with additional aftermarket  work.

anyone want to list the Top Five Single-shot Plainsmen --legal rifles?

My gun safe might need to find one or two.....but what should I be looking for?

Recommendations....?

1 hour ago, T-Square said:

anyone want to list the Top Five Single-shot Plainsmen --legal rifles?

My gun safe might need to find one or two.....but what should I be looking for?

Recommendations....?

H&R Handi Rifle 45-70

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Seymour Action said:

I have the new Henry Single-shot in 45-70 Gov

Well...  What's there to like/dislike about it?  Ejectors, or...?   As heavy when compared to the Handi-Rifle, like their tomato stakes are when  compared to other leverguns?

It's very nice on fit and finish. The price < $400.00. Can not confirm the weight difference. Mine is the steel receiver. I wanted the strength and rubber butt pad for 45-70. I also like the checkered stock. They also come in Smooth stock with polished brass receiver and butt plate for a little more.  In steel the calibers include .223, 243, .308, .357 Mag, .44 Mag, .30-30 and .45-70; and in brass .44 Mag, .357 Mag and .45-70.

HENRY_PIC.jpg

I really like my Henry single shot in 45-70. I’ve used it in two Plainsman side matches so far and it shoots just as good as an H&R Handi Rifle, IMHO.  TWO drawbacks it has in stock condition, compared to a HR are a pretty stiff hammer spring and an interlock that won’t let you cock it when it’s broken open. I’m planning to replace the stock hammer spring with a lighter one. I haven’t seen anything yet regarding disabling the interlock. 

On 3/25/2021 at 7:58 PM, Artemus Von Schutze said:

Yeah, that would be my intent if I knew of someone in my neck of the woods. If anyone is in the SW MO area I'm all ears.

I'm in SE Kansas, My folks are in Springfield.  I'll be down visiting my grandparents by Bull Shoals lake in July.  I have several models you could try.  Grips and ergos are important, so is clean up after.  I've found that I like Remy's better for cleanup, about half as many screws as a colt, but it's easier to change out the grip style on a colt.  I have a new spiller and burr that I love, (it's based on the predecessor of the Remy) but my left hand locks up in funny ways when I try to run that gun left handed, right handed it is my easiest gun to manipulate for some reason.  So if you are intending to run double duelist, make sure you try out manipulating the gun with both hands before you buy two of them.

J-Bar I have been meaning to give you a call, and thanks for the kind words. I'll have.to meet up with you at a monthly soon. 

I'll have to apologize just a little and tell you I beat you to the draw for Fingers Mcgee's 61 navies, but they will go nicely with my trapdoor.

Archived